PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do....

nannis1980
11-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Before Ofsted come for my registration visit?
I have just been looking at the questions that need to be filled in on the preparing for your inspection form...Oh my I have completed all but one session of the ICP and am still not confident in answering the multitude of questions :(:panic:

I am thinking I need the following for the first Ofsted visit...Am I right or am I missing things out?

Policies and procedures - I am so worried that these will not be good enough...Suppose I should get to grips with writing them before I decide how good they are!...How many should I have?...What if Ofsted notice one missing?

Get a Fire blanket ... Or can I wait and get the full starter kit from NCMA when I get my liability insurance?

First Aid kit ... Does this have to be present or can I get things like this while waiting to be registered?

Draft learning journey - I really don't know where to start :panic: :panic: ...I saw a sample one that the local authority made and thought I might be able to download a blank copy from them (no such luck!!)

Get to grips with EYFS!!

Trampoline enclosure...Will Ofsted accept that I will not use the trampoline until I have purchased an enclosure?

Do Stair gates need to be in place already?

Can I say that if I mind young babies/children that I will purchase a travel cot if the need arises?....Where do I let mindees sleep?...

Do I need to have toys ready?

Parent packs and portfolio...Do these need to be done before Ofsted come?

I'm so sorry my list has turned into a million questions!!...I have butterflies in my tummy just thinking about it all :(

Also one more question....On my health questionairre I ticked that I smoke, which I do...I do not smoke in the house and fully understand that I will not be allowed to smoke while minding children...To be honest I am thinking now would be a great time to tackle giving up - Sometimes doing it for a god reason helps...And I want to succeed in becoming a childminder more than anything!!...Will Ofsted be put off because I said I smoke?...Will they even believe me when I say I will never smoke near a mindee and will put a huge effort into giving up?

Oh I need to calm down :( :o :blush:

Spangles
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow! Blinking nora calm down!

You sound like you are ready for the Ofsted visit to me.

You don't have to have all the paperwork in place before they come, as long as you answer their questions and are aware of what you have yet to do - do a 'to do' list you can give to the inspector for instance.

Do a very basic risk assessment list where you write down what risks you've noticed, like the trampoline for instance, and what you will do about it and give a rough date of completion.

Honestly, you sound more than ready if you could just calm down a little. Take some deep breaths. Read other threads on here about pre-reg Ofsted visits and I'm sure you will feel much, much better. They are truly nothing at all to worry about - I promise.

x

nannis1980
11-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks so much for your reply, I feel instantly less stressed!

There are so many things to think about I think they are forming one big ball of worry!

Every ICP day I go to seems to scare me a bit more, so many rules, laws etc to get to grips with!

I am going to try to get the forms in the post tomorrow, then will do a to-do list and get started on the pre-reg questions - Maybe if I know the forms have gone I will get moving quicker!
Another lady from my course sent her forms off and Ofsted called the following week :eek: they are visiting her next week!

xx

mozarella
12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
dont panic,

You do not need all the policies, only a few like safeguarding children, if you follow the getting ready for pre vist pack it covers it all, they know you are not working yet but as loing as you know what you will need to have to start then it wil be fine and the course is here to help you.

You do not have to have all the security equipment, I didnt but in my risk assessment I wrote what I needed to do like stair gates, plug covers, safety glass etc and if you miss something they will be able to point it out to you, I didnt have the fire blanket nor the first aid as I said I was going to get it through NCMA once I was registered. The same with my garden, it is registered but we need to replace the balister , it is just not in use until we have done that

I didnt have to do a draft leanring journey but I had to show I understood about EYFS and the 6 area of learning and that I understood about planning and observations

You do not have to have the toys either but tell them to be prepared to buy according to age and stage when you get the children, the same with travel cot etc, I only had baby stuff and I said I would buy according to what age children I would get and the inspector was fine with this.

As long as you show you are aware of what you need it should be fine, my inspector was nice and providing you can demonstrate you know what would be expected from you they are here to help you getting started

Good luck