PDA

View Full Version : activities for after schoolies that ofsted would approve of?

missv1981
08-06-2009, 08:12 AM
hi,

i have 2 after schoolies that are 6 years old and come once a week. can anyone tell me activities/routines that would be acceptable to ofsted? they are with me for for 2 and half hours.

is it possible to get outstanding with just after school children?

thanks

xx

miss mopple
08-06-2009, 09:22 AM
My inspector wasnt too worried about activities for after schoolers. She actually said 'just stick the telly on if thats what they want'!

Mine tend to just freeplay or do drawing, computer etc. She was fine with that :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
from my experience ... it is unlikely that you will gain outstanding with no EYFS mindees.

my afterschoolies tend to play with anything they like its their chill out time after a long day in school. if I have craft out for EYFS children it gets left out for after schoolies, same with cooking, I redo theacitivity as my EYFS mindees go home at 3.

outings to the park, library, local walks or even just access to the outside area.

Throughout the colder months I sit with my afterschoolies and plan the wk of activities they would like to do, warmer months are easier they always request the adventure playground or the park.

westbrom44
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
My after school children usually choose what they want to do themselves.

I have lots of resources for them to choose from such as, classic games like Frustration, Connect 4, Downfall, Dominoes and card games.

They also like to play with playdough, lego, playmobil, dolls house, train set, garage and cars, and a dinosaur activity set.

I have colouring, stencils, arts and crafts also available. They rarely watch t.v. and dont do homework. Their parents prefer to do it with them at home.
My own children do their homework after tea when the minded children have gone home.

I'm not sure about getting Outstanding with Ofsted. Maybe you could ring them and ask.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
If you are registered for the EY Register then they will want to observe you with this. You could change it until you get the EY age range to Compulsory/Voluntary Register.

zippy
15-06-2009, 06:13 PM
If you want to be really adventurous I have seen a clip on u tube about walking on water well cornflour and water, needs a trip to cash and carry to get big bag of corn startch about ten pound but well worth it. You make it in bit tub like normal stuff just bigger ratios. if they run fast on the spot it is like walikg on water if they stand still they sink, can you imagine their faces, mine loved it.

jibberjitz
15-06-2009, 07:01 PM
My inspector wasnt too worried about activities for after schoolers. She actually said 'just stick the telly on if thats what they want'!

Mine tend to just freeplay or do drawing, computer etc. She was fine with that :thumbsup:

:eek: I'm shocked that she actually said that!!!