PDA

View Full Version : do you use the Practical Guidance book when doing obs and planning

newandlearning
07-06-2009, 04:16 PM
hello..
just a quick question.. currently I observe, write down aspect obs relate to, plan for how to develop further and put other areas the ob. links to .. I then
do a weekly environmental plan putting the plans for next week and then (have
just started doing a weekly reflection sheet saying what worked, what didn't and what I want to do for next week)..

I'm also wondering how you guys use the Practical Guidance Book to its full
potential .. I'm not currently looking at this and deciding if the child observed
is on target for age .. not on target .. blah blah blah.. should I be doing this too?

I've had the call re my inspection and the inspector said she'd be calling me again this week to finalise the date.. I would love to get an outstanding and what my paperwork to show all the thought I've put in..

am I already doing enough.. I was thinking of also doing Monthly Developmental reviews.. how much do you do? and how do you use the Practical Guidance Book...

thanks for reading ladies.. you guys have been great in offering my advice and have felt this forum has really helped me feel like I'm going in the right direction to offering a good childminding practice.xx

huggableshelly
07-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I've not got the book so cant really advise

as for not reaching targets I wouldnt put it down on paper as its not our job to state this information, our job is to provide activities to aim to reach targets knowing all children get there eventually ......... focus on possitives not negatives and know where you are aiming to get the child too.

I want to get the book but last time I looked it was out of stock so going bk to look now to see if its available.

hope that helps in some way and good luck with your inspection xxx

sarah707
07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't have the book either, but I think any linking you can do is good.

So long as you show a progression, it doesn't matter how you document it...

Just... obs to how it links to Eyfs to next steps to planning. :D

rickysmiths
07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes hi there I use the Practice Guidance book in the EYFS pack-I think thats what you are refering to?

I am using it in two ways. One to note the ages and stages that the children reach-I have printed out the sheets from the dvd, and using that with my learning journeys I can Identify and then plan to cover areas of learning that may be weak and the next steps to take to develop each child and move them on.

Hope that helps.

SandCastles
14-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes hi there I use the Practice Guidance book in the EYFS pack-I think thats what you are refering to?

I am using it in two ways. One to note the ages and stages that the children reach-I have printed out the sheets from the dvd, and using that with my learning journeys I can Identify and then plan to cover areas of learning that may be weak and the next steps to take to develop each child and move them on.

Hope that helps.

That's exactly what I do, I look to see where the child is now and then what comes next, and also what I have not yet covered (only been childminding with EYFS children for 4 months)

georgie456
14-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I also use the Practice Guidance. I have found it invaluable in helping me grasp the whole development thing! MY copy is looking a bit battered these days...

Daftbat
14-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I use it to plan the next steps in learning - i find i have mental blocks sometimes when trying to think how to move children forward. Sometimes it gives me ideas for planning too.