PDA

View Full Version : help please with early years degree

emmagood
06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
hi i am starting an earlys foundation degree in sept of this year i have just done my ccld3 and i am getting married so i am loking for good web sites to help me on my way as you know how busy being a childmiding gets so any little help is fab :littleangel: :clapping: :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
06-06-2009, 08:29 PM
once you start and have become an active member within the forum there is a section here for those studying at different levels. I think you have to be atleast amber which is 30 days membership so you have plenty of time to type n chat but someone will be in to corret me if i am wrong.

as you have already completed a recent course you wont find the studying that much more ... its harder if you have not studied for a while

good Luck with it.

The Juggler
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
hi i am starting an earlys foundation degree in sept of this year i have just done my ccld3 and i am getting married so i am loking for good web sites to help me on my way as you know how busy being a childmiding gets so any little help is fab :littleangel: :clapping: :thumbsup:

I've just finished and mostly I used the athens website (through college) which is on-line books and journals.

I also used the DCSF website which you can access all the major documents on, Children's Plan, Acts, Research on everything from education and poverty and then things like EPPE and REPEY studies on early childhood eduction.

Use google scholar to find what you need.

Happy for you to PM once you start if you need any advice! Good luck

mum2two
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm hopefully starting mine too in Sept. I was going to wait until next year, but hubby wants to do it, so I said we may as well do it together. (plus the fact I don't want him doing it before me & being more qualified than me!!' :p )

But, I'm only half way through my DHC, which won't finish til next March, plus I'm expecting a baby in Oct... :eek: So might be a lot to be doing at once, but I figured I can start, but if I do find it too much, then I can stop & defer for a year...

The good thing about there being two of us working together, is that in the mornings on playschool days, or quieter days, we can give each other breaks to study etc, even if it's just a break upstairs, will help.

xx

The Juggler
09-06-2009, 01:39 PM
that's a lot to take on! Goodness. two courses at once, work and a baby on the way. It is really hard work. Take care of your health. Also, you do need to have a Level 3 before you start - I think.

mum2two
09-06-2009, 02:00 PM
that's a lot to take on! Goodness. two courses at once, work and a baby on the way. It is really hard work. Take care of your health. Also, you do need to have a Level 3 before you start - I think.

No, you don't need the level 3 at all, hubby hasn't got it, and although they like you to have it, being a 'mature student' (over 21), you don't require anything.

I have spoke to me network co-ordinator, as she is currently studying it, and knows what's involved in the DHC as well, plus knows me too. She explained what the first 2 terms were about, and my DHC course, and said from knowing me, she doesn't think I'll struggle too much with it, being only 2 terms...

Like I said though, if it does get too much, the uni lecturer explained you can defer for a year...

xxx

The Juggler
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
that's good. well I know there's lots of people on the forum have done it/are currently doing it who you probably know already, but if I can help, feel free to PM me. I was the only minder on my course and it was hard getting support and adapting the tasks to a childminding setting. I wish I'd known about the forum but only discovered it very recently.

Good luck with it all - both of you.

Nx

Pipsqueak
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
The work load is hard going and I have two words of recommendation for anyone:

Time Management

is crucial. Making sure you put time aside to do the extra reading, assignments/pdp etc.

I have a funny feeling my friend will be dropping out from year 2 and I will be the only minder on the course. We have already been warned the the work pressures are upped next year.

The Juggler
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I'd second that. Before I started I decided not to work until after school on Thursdays, giving myself a good 5 hours of study every week. I wouldn't have been able to do it without that or would have completed alienated my two kids