PDA

View Full Version : can i have my say

Tups
05-06-2009, 11:13 PM
first of all can i tell you i am severely DYSLEXIC. I have read all the post on this topic I admirer all you childminders doing the eyfs. I am doing the eyfs but not as good as you. I am a good childminder ,I don't sit my mindees in front of the t.v. all day. i do lots of activities with them other childminders ask to borrow my recourse's when they have an inspection they get a good or outstanding at my expense only difference is they have the gift of the gab all my parents are doctors they love what i do with there children. For 20 years i have got good on my inspection until now its satisfactory PAPERWORK THATS ALL IT IS ? but I HAVE TO SAY you friends have help,t me so much im sorry i can't give you something back tups x

Tups
05-06-2009, 11:17 PM
By the way i started this post at 10 30pm its now 12 14am that's how bad it is for me to write something :blush: :blush: tups x

Cazz
05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
What a real shame you got satisfactory this time because of paperwork - did they actually say that was the reason?

I'm only starting out so I don't know all the ins and outs but do Ofsted not make some sort of allowances with regards to paperwork if somebody has severe dyslexia?

My hubby has dyslexia as well and he finds it quite frustrating at times.

By the way, I'm sure you are a GOOD (probably fantastic!) childminder!

Carole x

Tups
06-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Thank,s for that explaining myself is very hard to do plus writing and i don't tell people ime dyslexic, a lot of people don't understand what it means tups x

happytotschildminding
06-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Hi - didn't want to read and run but would have thought Ofsted would make allowances surely for someone like yourself, must be so difficult for you - its hard enough as it is to keep up with paperwork and I really feel for you. I'm sorry I'm not much help am I - hope someone comes along with some useful advice soon.
Carol

Monkey1
06-06-2009, 06:19 AM
I think you ought to complain hunny, after all they keep banging on over equal opportunities so they shouldn't be penalising you because of paperwork, that just is not fair. Perhaps you could get your parents to write in to support you. Ofsted are in the wrong!

madasahatter
06-06-2009, 06:51 AM
I agree with monkey.I do hope you told the inspector that you are dyslexic. It's nothing to be ashamed of!!!
If you did tell the inspector then I think you have reasonable grounds for appealing.

funtoplay
06-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi There,

Do you know what I think you have hit the nail on the head there!!!! I think having gift of the gab plays a major part in an inspection. Knowing what to say and how to say it!!!

Have you thought of other ways of recording obs etc perhaps by using a dictaphone. Perhaps number the recordings and put photos with the same number on them in a folder. As for contracts and things I would just someone else to fill in your bits before hand then ask parents to fill in their sections, so all you need to do is sign! Although I am sure you have thought about all these over the years!!

Julia

peanuts
06-06-2009, 07:26 AM
that is so unfair, surely if ofsted were aware of your situation they shouldnt penalise you for paperwork.

Pipsqueak
06-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Aww hunny, that is really unfair, as has been mentioned, make a complaint, they should take into account that you have dyslexia.

As the parent of a child with dyslexia I get really cross with people who judge him on his written output and in this day of Inclusion and Diversity then you should have consideration for your personal needs and abilities.
If you want help with a letter - please let me know (pm me)

Roseolivia
06-06-2009, 07:51 AM
first of all can i tell you i am severely DYSLEXIC. I have read all the post on this topic I admirer all you childminders doing the eyfs. I am doing the eyfs but not as good as you. I am a good childminder ,I don't sit my mindees in front of the t.v. all day. i do lots of activities with them other childminders ask to borrow my recourse's when they have an inspection they get a good or outstanding at my expense only difference is they have the gift of the gab all my parents are doctors they love what i do with there children. For 20 years i have got good on my inspection until now its satisfactory PAPERWORK THATS ALL IT IS ? but I HAVE TO SAY you friends have help,t me so much im sorry i can't give you something back tups x

Well i think that's shocking that they didn't make allowances for your dyslexia. I know you don't want to be treated 'different' but sorry i think your dyslexia should be catered for. Surely knowing how happy your parents are and all the resources you have and the paperwork you do have in place is enough for them. I would complain about it, maybe speak to your child development officer or NCMA if your a member and see what can be done, they may be able to provide help with your paperwork. Try not to worry about it though as i'm sure you're parents aren't bothered and know their children are in capable hands.

Tups
06-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Aww hunny, that is really unfair, as has been mentioned, make a complaint, they should take into account that you have dyslexia.

As the parent of a child with dyslexia I get really cross with people who judge him on his written output and in this day of Inclusion and Diversity then you should have consideration for your personal needs and abilities.
If you want help with a letter - please let me know (pm me)

Thank,s Pipsqueak that's really kind of you I guess its my own fault i didn't tell the inspector i was dyslexic i didn't want to dour attention to myself you no my dd is at uni she also is dyslexic she is borderline of being severe but she has had so much help she has done one year now and got all A s for her work she studies none stop i keep telling her only 2 years to go and she will have her dream job. tups x

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Oh bless your heart.
I agree with the rest, you should make a complaint as their should be provisions in place for people with a condition such as yours. If they dont take this into consideration it will be highly unfair.
Good Luck.
XX

Pipsqueak
06-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Thank,s Pipsqueak that's really kind of you I guess its my own fault i didn't tell the inspector i was dyslexic i didn't want to dour attention to myself you no my dd is at uni she also is dyslexic she is borderline of being severe but she has had so much help she has done one year now and got all A s for her work she studies none stop i keep telling her only 2 years to go and she will have her dream job. tups x

You are more than welcome hun - just pm me if you want some help.
I can understand that you don't want to draw attention to it and why should you, we shouldn't be judged on the standard of the the output (spelling, grammer etc) - the inspector should have been broadminded enough in these days of equality, inclusion and understanding to recognise there may be a potential difficulty instead of assuming that everyone can produce academic standard productions.:angry: So no its NOT your fault. Even if you don't want to make a complaint, I would still write a letter explaining that you feel you have been unfairly judged and Ofsted would do better in future to recognise difficulties in adults. Unless someone tells them - they won't know to broaden their horizons a bit.

Mouse
06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
What a shame you feel that you were let down by your paperwork. Good childcare is about so much more than that.

What particular areas did she pick you up on? I ask because I have a cm friend who is also severely dyslexic. Her development officer has helped her get all her paperwork onto the PC, so it's easier to work at (she has a special screen to help her read the monitor). I just wonder if you could get some similar help in that area. I know it has helped her a great deal with getting policies written etc. She has always had all the paperwork she needs, but it wasn't as well written as she'd have liked. Now that everything is on disc it helps her make sure everything is completed.

westbrom44
06-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Hello.

I think it would be of interest to find out whether Ofsted do make any allowances.

My eldest son is dyslexic and hates for any one to know.

Spangles
06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
It's a shame you didn't explain the situation to your inspector so s/he could have understood your situation.

Are you able to access any courses or help as an adult to make your life a little easier?

I can't imagine what it must be like being dyslexic but I understand it must be very frustrating and make a huge impact on your life.

Have you thought again about making it more commonly known to people that you have dyslexia? I think you'd probably find most people would be interested and understanding and would be priveleged that you had confided this in them.

Just thought - if your mindee's parents are teachers perhaps they would be able to point you in the right direction to get help to improve this? It might make such a huge and positive change for the rest of your life?

angeldelight
06-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Oh I agree with everyone else and I think you are really brave to sit here and tell everyone then to sit there sending replies when you know it takes you ages to do - I admire you

I would speak to pip if you can she will give you lots of advice and help and her advice is good

If you do not contact ofsted and complain well thats up to you but I do think you are doing a great job anyway and that is really important

Keep up the good work

Angel xxx

Blaze
06-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Bless you...

I really would make a complaint...Pip is excellent in these matters & Sarah is an experert at tackiling OFSTED;) ...I'm happy to help in anyway I can:thumbsup: ...really don't think you should be penalised & think as has bee said that OFSTED need to broaden their horizons!:angry:

wendywu
06-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I dont think you can make a complaint if the inspector did not know that Tups has dyslexia.

But they should make allowances. My eldest DD has it and had help in exams both in school and college. So Ofsted being a goverment body should have a policy in place to accommodate yopur needs.:)

miffy
06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I dont think you can make a complaint if the inspector did not know that Tups has dyslexia.

I agree but it would be interesting to know what allowances Ofsted would make/have made if they knew about Tups' dyslexia.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
06-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Thank,s for that explaining myself is very hard to do plus writing and i don't tell people ime dyslexic, a lot of people don't understand what it means tups x

Its ridiculous it's all about paperwork I thought the EYFS was about enabling children's learning. problem is you need to prove it but surely if they see you and the children they can see what you do and how engaged the kids are. Time to move on Ofsted!

sonia ann
06-06-2009, 05:35 PM
oh Tups I feel for you. My eldest son went through all his schooling labelled as lazy. It wasn't until he went to study veterinary nursing that a very perceptive tutor took him aside and suggested he was tested for dyslexia, the result was positive and he has had so much help, from extra time in exams to a free laptop ,printer and internet access to help him.
Don't be embarrassed about it , take up Pipsqeaks offer and write a letter to Ofsted explaining.....you never know they might rethink your grading. But any way your parents know you are an excellent cm and they are the ones that count at the end of the day.

TheBTeam
06-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I think you should speak to OFSTED, explain how hard it is for you to do the written observations etc, and ask for their advice on how they feel you can show your commitment to the EYFS to them.

Photograph stories are a good way of evidencing activities, where you need to write far less - let the sequence of pictures do most of the work. May be then you could have copies of the development statements on your computer and cut and paste the few relevant statements needed onto the photo obs - this would leave the next steps bit which may need to be written, and if it requires one of these obs types every 6 weeks then it may make it manageable and inbetween you could put photos and artwork and small amounts of writing on post it notes.

I don't suffer from dsylexia, my husband has classice dyslexia traits but was never diagnosed and i know how frustrating it is for him to ask me to spell something or give a telephone number because he doesn't hear/write it in the order i say it, this drives us both nuts at times!! It must be so frustrating to have to do all of the work with this to deal with as well.

Keep your chin up and rely on photos and artwork etc wherever you can to do the bulk of the work for you.

I also think that if the parents you have are more than happy then that says more to prospective parents than most ofsted reports do. I am sure that your ofsted report in every other area will reflect the reality and you have a very good reason for the issues with paperwork, which in my opinion the parents don't care so much about - that bit seems to be for ofsteds benefit!

Tups
06-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks every one i do take lot and lots of pictures i use tick boxes and i do some writing I have asked Pipsqueak if she can do me a letter for ofsted but i told here there is no hurry :thank you: :thank you: again for all your support. tups x:waving: :waving:

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Seems to me you are doing a great job!
But OFSTED need to know your circumstances:)
XX

Tups
06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I no they need to no i will pick up the courage thanks tups x

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I no they need to no i will pick up the courage thanks tups x

If you cant do it straight away, dont worry. In your own time.