PDA

View Full Version : How do you present photos in your learning journal

clorogue
03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Just wondered what you all were doing with regard to photos. I have a ring binder journal per child with all the information in medical, permissions and observations - I was thinking of putting all the photos in the back - some are linked to observations and some are not. Labelling them. Just trying to work out how I could present it nicely when the children leave. Maybe stick them on coloured card? Any comments greatly appreciated again!:)

Daftbat
03-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I put photos in the childrens daily diaries and copies on to photo observation sheets if required.

sarah707
03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I put them on observation sheets and cut them up to show bits and bobs of evidence in their learning journeys.

All photos are linked to the Eyfs.

I don't think there is any point having them if they don't say something about the child's learning and development.

For example, anyone can take a picture of a child on a swing... but if you can link it to a child's recognition of 'higher' or 'faster' then the picture is saying something.

Hth :D

clorogue
03-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you all!

Just interested Penny. So do you give two things to the parents when they leave - diaries and observations sheets. Rather than everything in one folder.

Thanks

Daftbat
03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, no one has left since doing eyfs but the plan is that i have the diaires for them to take and then another A4 display folder entitled "Record of Achievement" which has the observations and next steps in learning in it showing a full developmental picture.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I only print photo's in obs. The rest of them are on a disc - everything for me on one and then a file for each child which gets given to the parents at Xmas.

The EYFS Learning Journal will go with the child when they leave as I don't want//have the room to store them

clorogue
04-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Thank you very much!

Helen79
05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I put all photos in their daily diary under the area it need to go just the same as I would write an observation.

I date it & write a little bit about what the child was doing (if it's not clear from the photo) as well as anything interesting the child may have done or said at the same time

irene
09-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a scrapbook which i paste photos in sometimes the photos have a little sticker on saying which part of the eyfs they relate to, some times i add postit notes and observations. i also keep a sheet at the back of the scrapbook that has all the learning goals on it which i add a date to when they have acheived this. Along with the daly diairy the parents get every day.

uf353432
09-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I laser print the photo's onto white stickers and stick them into their diary to illustrate visually what they did - be it them actually playing or some artwork they did etc.

zillervalley
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I laser print the photo's onto white stickers and stick them into their diary to illustrate visually what they did - be it them actually playing or some artwork they did etc.

I like the idea of putting them onto stickers

thanks Aj

wellybelly
11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I used to put them on obs sheets which had sections underneath for linking to areas of the EYFS, development matters statements and next steps. That took me forever, so now I have formal written obs with all the stuff mentioned above and photos go on coloured paper with flurecent starts / post it notes to explain what the photo shows. I realised the children enjoyed the learning journeys the most and the photos highlighted this way, looked so much more interesting.

06lottie
15-06-2009, 02:11 PM
thanks for all you information im finding it all so useful xx

sparkibobs
04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi

I don't believe in copying up on any of my paperwork, if I can help it.

Mine is more of a scrapbook style (but in ringbinder), all pics are dated and linked to EYFS, some have more detailed breakdowns on included for obs, I also include any of their paintings etc. I used to do seperate ob sheets but found I was duplicating things. Ofsted said there was no need to make extra paperwork, just keep it simple and to the point.:D :laughing: :laughing:

I think i manage to do this but in a fun way that the children like to look at.

I do a seperate daily diary to include meals, nappy changes, behaviour, actibites etc.

You'll find your own way eventually, it took me 6 months and I still chage bits and bobs
xx

singlewiththree
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I only put linked photos in the observations in the learning journey then the rest I put some in the daily diary for the parents. The rest I keep on my computer and am giving them to them on a CD when they leave or maybe every christmas not sure yet.

nannymcflea
10-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi

I don't believe in copying up on any of my paperwork, if I can help it.

Mine is more of a scrapbook style (but in ringbinder), all pics are dated and linked to EYFS, some have more detailed breakdowns on included for obs, I also include any of their paintings etc. I used to do seperate ob sheets but found I was duplicating things. Ofsted said there was no need to make extra paperwork, just keep it simple and to the point.:D :laughing: :laughing:

I think i manage to do this but in a fun way that the children like to look at.

I do a seperate daily diary to include meals, nappy changes, behaviour, actibites etc.

You'll find your own way eventually, it took me 6 months and I still chage bits and bobs
xx

I agree, though i try and do a monthly main obs on each child too, a little more detailed look at them. Their Records Of Achievement contain paintings too along with with 6 areas and their development within each,writing and photos. Daily diaries go home...daily....and the RoA's go home occasionally and parents write in them too.

The Juggler
20-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I do photos for wow moments if I have them then I print out each quarter or month some of best photos and group them by 1 a4 page for each area of learning. Then I just do a little commentary about what it means.

When or if I produce an EYFS report for my use or parents I then use these and the written observations as evidence against the children achieving the steps.