PDA

View Full Version : toilet rolls and egg boxes

maple
22-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Can we use these to do crafts with only I was speaking to another cm and she said we can if we put them in the microwave for 30secs to kill off bugs?

FizzysFriends
22-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I use them and don't microwave them. I think the world is getting obsessed with killing bugs! At this rate kids aren't going to build up their immune system.

Mouse
22-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't use toilet roll tubes, though I do use kitchen roll ones cut in half.

And I use egg boxes as they are.

I don't know what the current guidelines are, but I do think it's one of those 'world gone mad' things. Have you ever heard of a child getting ill from a toilet roll middle or an egg box?

Mollymop
22-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I have heard about this before, on this forum a year or so back. I am sure it is fine to use these items now. I think a few yeas ago people were advised not to, but like i said I am sure it is ok nowadays

Blackhorse
22-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I use them and don't microwave them. I think the world is getting obsessed with killing bugs! At this rate kids aren't going to build up their immune system.

100% agree with you.
when I was little we used to do arts and crafts with all these things and nobody was worried and we still live to tell the tale...

and common sens would suggest you would not use them if an egg got broken it the egg box anyways...
It never even crossed my mind that a toilet role might be ''contaminated''..

maple
22-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone and I agree with you all the world has gone Health and Safety overload and has taken things too far. I am going to set up some crafts for next week with the stuff I have got.

Jen4Kids
22-05-2009, 01:42 PM
At my dds preschool. we cant take in toilet roll tubes or medicine boxes for their junk modelling box, but kitchen roll tubes are fine :thumbsup:

tulip0803
22-05-2009, 09:38 PM
This is stuck up on the wall at the local family centre after parents panicked.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm

Carol
22-05-2009, 10:00 PM
This is stuck up on the wall at the local family centre after parents panicked.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm

Thanks - shame to throw away the cardboard toilet rolls - we get through loads

Carol xxxx

ORKSIE
22-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I personally would not use toilet roll.
I have no problem with anything else:D

FizzysFriends
23-05-2009, 07:40 AM
I personally would not use toilet roll.
I have no problem with anything else:D

Is there any reason for that? I know people thought you can get samonella from egg cartons but what can you get from toilet rolls?

ORKSIE
23-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Is there any reason for that? I know people thought you can get samonella from egg cartons but what can you get from toilet rolls?

Well the fact that it is in the bathroom:panic:
Am I being a little too OTT:D
well personally I dont think its hygenic:)

Mrs.L.C
23-05-2009, 07:57 AM
They say dont use toilet rolls as these can get the germs on from using the toilet

I personally just zap them in the microwave just to be on the safe side

Its down to personal choice and like its been said, we did it when we were younger and we are still here to tell the tale

FizzysFriends
23-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Well the fact that it is in the bathroom:panic:
Am I being a little too OTT:D
well personally I dont think its hygenic:)

Oh ok, never thought of that. Doesn't bother me though, my toothbrush is in the bathroom and I put that in my mouth!

Pipsqueak
23-05-2009, 08:23 AM
nah I use them - everything goes into a large bag and it gets pulled out as we need it (tubes, egg boxes, yoghurt pots, cereal boxes etc) - although when brian is in helpful tidy up mode he normally throws it all away:angry: and I have to restart again.
I have to try and collect tons for drops ins as well

FizzysFriends
23-05-2009, 08:27 AM
nah I use them - everything goes into a large bag and it gets pulled out as we need it (tubes, egg boxes, yoghurt pots, cereal boxes etc) - although when brian is in helpful tidy up mode he normally throws it all away:angry: and I have to restart again.
I have to try and collect tons for drops ins as well

Pringles tubes are great, and what a good excuse to eat them!!!

Pipsqueak
23-05-2009, 08:40 AM

lol don't need an excuse:D

ORKSIE
23-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Oh ok, never thought of that. Doesn't bother me though, my toothbrush is in the bathroom and I put that in my mouth!

:panic: :panic: You just made me feel sick:laughing: :laughing:
Gonna keep it in the kitchen from now on:D

Pipsqueak
23-05-2009, 10:07 AM
In Mythbusters, episode 12 season 1, Tooth Brush Surprise, they did an experiment with over 30 toothbrushes hanging on the wall in the open air around the toilet. They put the tooth brushes into use as if they were being used normally. After 30 days of exposure to daily toilet flushing they took the tooth brushes to a medical labratory to have them analyzed for the amount of bacteria. The clinical analysist (a woman) reported that even after 30 days of exposure there was not enough bacteria on the brushes to even be a concern. So even though there may be some bacteria it is not enough to do anything to you and that is what our immune system is for.

If this was actually a big enough problem then you still have a problem with the lid down. When you flush with the lid down all the bacteria is landing and spreading on the lid and the mist is also lingering in the bowl, like when you blow up a ballon. When you reach down and raise the lid with your bare hand all the bacteria would be going on your fingers and where ever you touch. When you are done you touch the toilet paper, spreading bacteria to the roll. Then you turn on the water and put bacteria on the faucet handles. You may wash your hands with soap but when you turn the water off you get bacteria right back on your hands. When you open the door you are getting bacteria from previous persons and putting more bacteria on the knob as well. Also, when flushing with the lid down the mist is lingering in the bowl and the floats out when you open the lid. You inhale the mist, get it all over yourself and so on.
Yes you can get sick if it is the right germ or bacteria but the average person won't.
Think of how many times you have gone to a public bathroom, where there is so much more activity, and have not gotten sick.

People are over exaggerating this issue. One site says the mist will fly 6 feet another says 10 feet, 15 feet, 25 feet, all over. Pretty soon they will be saying it fills the whole house from one flush. We should live on the street instead of houses. But then what about the bacteria, viruses and germs outside.

Chanelle
23-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Okay, I have a story that happened a good 10 years ago when I was working in Devon in a nursery down there.

I will appoligise if I gross any of you out now !! LMAO

We were doing junk modelling as part of our transport topic and as most nurseries do asked parents to bring in there junk, boxes yoghurt pots etc ...

So the day of junk modelling came an we were buidling our boats, buses etc ...

One of the children came to me with a loo roll and said .. 'Wendy What is that ? ''

I looked and there was a big, lumpy smearing of poop on the side of the roll !! ... Was snatched from the childs hands and everything in the bag was thrown out!! :eek:

Well you can guess what we told parents not to bring from that day onwards!!

So in my household and where I work at nursery we ask parents not to bring loo rolls lmao :jump for joy:

Mollymop
23-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I can understand about toilet rolls. I have seen a few toilet roll inners in my time that have smears of poop in the middle.

PixiePetal
23-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Think I am safe with loo rolls in my own home. No poop there, I will always check now though :laughing:

Hebs
23-05-2009, 06:58 PM

oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh

can we put these through our books as we need to eat them to get CLEAN cardboard tubes for cratfs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

FizzysFriends
23-05-2009, 07:00 PM
oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh

can we put these through our books as we need to eat them to get CLEAN cardboard tubes for cratfs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Of course, same with the quality street so there are foil wrappers for craft!

Hebs
23-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Of course, same with the quality street so there are foil wrappers for craft!

:thumbsup: i like your thinking

along with the bottles of wine for the corks :laughing:

estrelas
23-05-2009, 08:43 PM
sorry, but i think its just stupid, not to use toilet rolls!!

i mean come on,,,,,,,, soon we'll have to bath ourselfs in bleach every time we use the toilet!!!

katickles
23-05-2009, 09:46 PM
:blush: My dd1 use's the loo roll sfrom our bathroom as bangles!!!

I am sorry but I agree with the above post. Its crazy - we best not use anything then just in case somebody didn't wash there hands before touching something.

We have made loads of things from toilet rolls :D

ORKSIE
23-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Things have moved on...Cos, 15 years ago, when I did my Childminding Induction course:rolleyes: :blush:
we were asked NOT to use loo rolls for hygienic reasons:D
:laughing:

Chimps Childminding
24-05-2009, 07:44 PM
well if we can't use them for crafts because of what might or might not be on them, I certainly DON'T want them anywhere near my microwave :laughing::panic: :laughing:

TheBTeam
24-05-2009, 09:21 PM
well if we can't use them for crafts because of what might or might not be on them, I certainly DON'T want them anywhere near my microwave :laughing::panic: :laughing:

Oh yuk, blimey i hadn't thought of that, can you imagine me microwaving it till all the s**t goes runny and then dh microwaving a potato straight on the tray!:eek: :eek: :eek: :laughing:

Daddy Day Care
24-05-2009, 09:21 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, well you know what to do next time he annoys ya :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
24-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh yuk, blimey i hadn't thought of that, can you imagine me microwaving it till all the s**t goes runny and then dh microwaving a potato straight on the tray!:eek: :eek: :eek: :laughing:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

TheBTeam
24-05-2009, 09:29 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, well you know what to do next time he annoys ya :laughing: :laughing:

Oh you're right you are one of the women, cos i was just coming to that conclusion!! Having said that he usually annoys me far too often and far too much for even that to seem cruel enough!! Been married far too long, from far too young!!:eek:

Daddy Day Care
24-05-2009, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;431455]Oh you're right you are one of the women, QUOTE]

:blush: :blush: :blush:

TheBTeam
24-05-2009, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;431455]Oh you're right you are one of the women, QUOTE]

:blush: :blush: :blush:

No need to blush, cos it is a compliment to think like a woman!!:laughing: :laughing: :rolleyes:

Daddy Day Care
24-05-2009, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=Daddy Day Care;431461]

No need to blush, cos it is a compliment to think like a woman!!:laughing: :laughing: :rolleyes:

lol ok, but if I wake up in the morning with an urge to watch Jeremy kyle I wont be happy :laughing:

Gareth
xx

TheBTeam
24-05-2009, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;431467]

lol ok, but if I wake up in the morning with an urge to watch Jeremy kyle I wont be happy :laughing:

Gareth
xx

Trust me if i ever woke up in the morning with an urge to watch Jeremy Kyle i would not be happy either!:eek:

Blaze
25-05-2009, 06:27 AM
[QUOTE=Daddy Day Care;431474]

Trust me if i ever woke up in the morning with an urge to watch Jeremy Kyle i would not be happy either!:eek:

:eek: Nor me!

mrs c
27-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Great thread :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
27-05-2009, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;431467]

Gareth
xx

Seconded!! Jeremy Vile:crying: :veryangry:

ajs
27-05-2009, 07:47 AM
anyway back to the op check out this link for myths

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

in particular august 2007

aly
02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
my son uses the inners for binoculars. :thumbsup:

i agree about the microwaving though...if you cant use them for hygiene reasons why put it in the microwave??