PDA

View Full Version : Mindee cut hours not sure what to charge

cuffleygirl
21-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Dad has just told me he needs to cut my hours due to finances.

Currently I have C from 8o'clock to school and after school 3.30pm to 6pm and charge £85 per week in the hols I charge the same do 2 days one week 3 the next or one half term hol and one off - it works for us and I have accomodated it.

Dad is cutting hours to after school only I thought I would cut my rate to £60 per week just a little more than after school club but I do a meal. There is no holiday club in my area and dad needs holiday care - herein my problem I'm not prepared to maintain that rate doing 2 or 3 10 hour days I'm not sure what to charge through the hols my normal daily rate would be £40 for that length of day. I could charge only the hours I work but I am retaining a place and run the risk of being messed about I can't afford to be to bullish as I can't afford to lose him altogether.

louloudi
21-05-2009, 05:32 PM
A tough one if you rely on their business but at the end of the day your not a charity!!

Is £40 a day your daily rate? Is that common for your area. If I charged that I wouldn't have any children, in my area it's as low as £25 per day.

What other option would the parent have if you refused to cut your rates? Is he likely to find cheaper/flexible care else where? I'd consider if you could aford to let them go or not then adjust your fees accordingly

cuffleygirl
21-05-2009, 05:37 PM
£4ph is the going rate - there are only a couple of other minders who will offer holiday care but they only do year round for under 5 - he is 10 so not in numbers and unlikely to find holiday care elsewhere but I wouldn't put it past Dad to go unregistered or leave him at home (I care about C and hate that idea).

youarewhatyoueat
22-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I would just charge for the hours used as you'll lose him anyway by the sounds of it at least you'll get some income over the hols. at that age they often go to a mates house for a day anyway or our local leisure centre only charges £15 per day and thats for sports activities.

estrelas
22-05-2009, 05:49 PM
i know we're not a charity but i've just dramatically reduced my fees for half term for one family, she pays me on time every term week, but i know she can't afford to pay for a full week, to me at the moment any money is a bonus. i told her its only for this week. she was so grateful she nearly cried :blush:

The Juggler
23-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I would just charge for the hours used as you'll lose him anyway by the sounds of it at least you'll get some income over the hols. at that age they often go to a mates house for a day anyway or our local leisure centre only charges £15 per day and thats for sports activities.

Yes, local rate here is also £4 and £5 per hour for little ones. But for school age the out of school holiday club is only £18 for a full day and the local leisure centre similar. I would also be reluctant to drop my rate but at the risk of losing him altogether it might be worth it this time.

rickysmiths
23-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I charge my hourly rate for holiday care.
My hourly rate is £4.50 over 20 hours and £5 for under 20 hours so if they were coming to me they would pay £90 one week and £135 the next.
We can't compete with the heavily subsidised hoiday play schemes.

if this family is so finanicially challenged at present are they not able to get tax credits? or use the childcare voucher scheme?