PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please :-)

Curly Quavers
21-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Hello,

I would like some advice please from you ladies & Gents who have more experience than me :blush:

I am newly registered and have a little girl starting on the 1st June.

I have already decided that I want to complete a daily diary and possible do a monthly news letter. Up here in Scotland we don't have the EYFS so I am looking for suggestions that include parents and will impress the care commission come inspection time.

:D :D

RachelE
21-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi,
I have been a cm since 2002 (pre EYFS).
I have always done a daily diary for my under 5's. I initially started out by writing almost every move the child made! This was a big mistake and was very time consuming! I didnt do this again.
I now have a few headings:- sleep time, food times, nappy times and activities. I also add any other comments I need to put - more nappies needed, extra outings etc.
I put this in the childs bag and it comes back daily.

I do a quarterly newsletter. I do this to coincide with the start of each season. I include - time off, 'remember to brings'.., birthdays, topics, activities and events, news and groups we attend.

I keep copies of all the newsletters.

I also have letters in between sometime if there is something I need to add.

I then have a file for each child under 5 with photos, paintings, pictures they've done etc. This will go home with them when they leave. Its nice for us both I think.

As I have my dd under 5 I also put all her picture in a file to show OFSTED and any prospective parents! It also means I keep hers and will enjoy looking back at them!

HTH, Good luck :thumbsup:

Curly Quavers
21-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi,
I have been a cm since 2002 (pre EYFS).
I have always done a daily diary for my under 5's. I initially started out by writing almost every move the child made! This was a big mistake and was very time consuming! I didnt do this again.
I now have a few headings:- sleep time, food times, nappy times and activities. I also add any other comments I need to put - more nappies needed, extra outings etc.
I put this in the childs bag and it comes back daily.

I do a quarterly newsletter. I do this to coincide with the start of each season. I include - time off, 'remember to brings'.., birthdays, topics, activities and events, news and groups we attend.

I keep copies of all the newsletters.

I also have letters in between sometime if there is something I need to add.

I then have a file for each child under 5 with photos, paintings, pictures they've done etc. This will go home with them when they leave. Its nice for us both I think.

As I have my dd under 5 I also put all her picture in a file to show OFSTED and any prospective parents! It also means I keep hers and will enjoy looking back at them!

HTH, Good luck :thumbsup:

That sounds great thanks very much, :D :thumbsup:

mrs c
26-05-2009, 07:48 AM
I used to do a daily diary and send it home but found parents useless at sending it back. I now use an a4 sheet for my daily diary and this covers two days. I write basics - food, sleep, nappy changes, child's mood and also outline what we have done that day and any funny comments made or any milestones reached. I show parents this and discuss how the day has gone and get them to initial it. That way it makes me jot down things before parents arrive and cuts down on the amount of paperwork to do when they have gone. Sometimes I get to write a fair amount and other times its really brief but because I also discuss with the parent they are kept informed of how their child's day has gone.