PDA

View Full Version : Leaving children with assistants

Mrs M
21-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I know that I'm not allowed to leave the house but can leave my assistant in the same room as the children if I go upstairs. However, if I'm in the car, can I leave my assistant and children alone whilst I go and pay for petrol or nip into the shop? I could send my assistant and that's fine but I just wondered what the ruling was. Thank you.

Twinkles
21-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry don't have the answer , just wanted to ask does your assistant not have first aid ? 'cos if she does you can leave them alone for short periods ( with parents written permission ).

Chatterbox Childcare
21-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes you could as you could still see them and are responsible for them

Mrs M
21-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry don't have the answer , just wanted to ask does your assistant not have first aid ? 'cos if she does you can leave them alone for short periods ( with parents written permission ).

No, she doesn't have first aid. Such a shame! I've been told I can leave her in the waiting room of doctors should I need to as I'd still be in the same building which is handy as I have appts coming up to see midwife. Again, I'd need parent's permission though.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-05-2009, 12:27 PM
No, she doesn't have first aid. Such a shame! I've been told I can leave her in the waiting room of doctors should I need to as I'd still be in the same building which is handy as I have appts coming up to see midwife. Again, I'd need parent's permission though.

The letter my parents have signed has the paragraph "from time to time I may leave your child (insert name) with my assistants and name"

Mrs M
21-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes you could as you could still see them and are responsible for them

Thank you.

hello kitty
21-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I think you will find every case is different, there is no blanket ruling that yes all assistants can be left in sole charge or no they can't.

There was a thread on here recently linking to Ofsted and the factsheet "The use of assistants by childminders on the Early Years and Childcare Registers".

hth :D

Chatterbox Childcare
21-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I think you will find every case is different, there is no blanket ruling that yes all assistants can be left in sole charge or no they can't.

There was a thread on here recently linking to Ofsted and the factsheet "The use of assistants by childminders on the Early Years and Childcare Registers".

hth :D

If you look at the fact sheet you will find that an assistant can be left in sole charge of children if they have their first aid certificate, parent permission and approval of Ofsted

The only difference in conditions depends on which register the child comes under