PDA

View Full Version : Before sending off forms...

NE_MumofChops
19-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi all

I'm slowly getting my stuff together for getting started but am not sure at what point to send off my reg forms to Ofsted.

We're in the middle of renovating our old dining room as a playroom, waiting for the plaster to dry so we can it painted, shelves up, carpet down etc. Obviously as this will be the main room, then Ofsted will want to see it.

I also want to do some work to my back yard. Getting some rubber tiles down in half of it and a fence to keep the children away from the patio heater, BBQ, shed etc. Again, I want to have this done before they come! :eek:

Paperwork-wise, I have a list as long as my arm of policies that I want to write, aswell as risk assessments, permission forms, fire evac stuff etc etc.

What do they *need* to see at a pre-reg visit? At what point can I get the wheels in motion with registration?

I've been on my ICP course and done paediatric first aid, plus done a food hygiene course.

Sorry for the essay, just after some words of wisdom please!

Thanks
Em

grindal
20-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Hi
I registered before the introduction of EYFS and am not sure howmuch things have changed ion terms of registration. However, when I registered we were in the middle of having our dining room decorated and the floor sanded - I showed the inspector around, explained it did not look at its best, told her what I intended to do and showed her all my risk assessments. She did not ask to see any policies and just asked me questions about the standards (now replaced by EYFS). Hope someone with more up to date info can give you a better answer soon.
Grindal

mozarella
20-05-2009, 07:16 AM
i was in the same situation as you but wanted to start the process asap due to the lengh of getting crb check. I sent theform and once ofsted called to arrange a visit I explained and they were fine wioth it. They still came and our dining room was just freshly painted, I expalined what I planned to do, the same with the garden and she was happy with this. I didnt have all the policies but did the main ones with a list of the ones I didnt complete yet. Before she came I asked theinspector what she was expecting to see and she told me the policies she would like to see which wasnt that many.

Good luck

ExBlondie
20-05-2009, 10:46 AM
When id sent in my forms i didn't really know about policys and procedures i needed to get started as a childminder so when Ofsted came round i had no paperwork ready at all but she just asked me lots of questions and i gave her all the right things and told her how i was planning on doing everything etc.

I think as long as you tell ofsted when they come round what you plan on doing to make sure the house is safe etc that should be ok because they don't expect you to have it 100% ready at that stage incase you don't get accepted.

I would get the forms in sooner rather than later because it took me 3 months from inspection to getting my certificate.

Hope that helps
Kirsty

Leannetrim
20-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I have my inspection on the 5th June regarding the room i would wait till it is virtullay completed as i only sent my forms off 2 weeks ago and they wanted to come next week but had to put them off due do us moving next week. As far as i am aware you need your policys written up and there is a booklet that came with your forms that have a whole load of questions. Just fill it in so you have the answers when the inspector asks you.

Hope this has helped.

Princess Sara
20-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I think that because the process takes so long, it's best to send off your forms asap.

You will learn what you need to know through ICP's and coming on here, so book yourself onto your ICP's asap aswell, the waiting list for mine were months.

On my pre-reg visist all the lady wanted to know was that I'd booked onto ICP's and first aid, had an idea of what I intended to do as a childminder and the most important that my house was safe for children.

It has taken about 9 months from pre-reg session to my certificate being printed, so get the ball rolling as soon as you can or you'll be sitting around waiting for ages.

Zoomie
20-05-2009, 12:19 PM
to be honest with you, i would try and get as much done before you submit.

i waited six months whilst we did bits and bobs, then submitted when we were nearly finished. our fence finally went up whilst app was in, but by time inspector came garden was still not finished cos of little bits and pieces, and then inspector gave me an action to 'make garden safe'. she wanted paving blocks pulled up from bottom of step and grass laid down (to soften any falls).

anyhow i didn't think it was too tall an order but when dh started (as everything was diy) it became a mountain of a job and ofsted only give you two weeks to complete an action and even though we had three weeks cos of easter dh only just got it finished in time. our new grass also needs about a good month to settle in, so i am glad that we have this time between inspection and registration for the grass to 'take' etc.

anyhows really only you know your abilities but if you are doing it yourself be realistic and if u have contractors coming in, allowextra time for 'problems'.

geordiebunny
22-05-2009, 05:00 PM
We aren't allowed to send our forms off until we have had someone around from the local childcare team, which I think is great as they make sure everything is ok and that the paperwork is done properly, courses are completed and first aid certificate gained. They will only give you your grant aswell if they have visited. Have mine on wed mon so forms should be sent off on wed afternoon. Good luck with it.