PDA

View Full Version : how do you manage your resources & link to EYFS?

newandlearning
17-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I've got quite a few toys/resources but I don't have any-
diability or multicultural stuff
or dress up toys for boys
and I have a few extra toys which I switch around.. but all
in all I'm not sure if I've got enough continuous provision stuff
out.. I've got continuously out:
- animals like farm and wild animals and dinosaurs
- barbies and bratts
- musical instruments
- wooden train track
- duplo
- a range of small and large cars/vehicles
- a shape ball thing
- a range of babies, baby, hispanic-ish and white
- food and crockery/cutlery
- a range of books
- puzzles
- playdough and drawing stuff..

What I'm finding is the children aren't always using certain things.. like the
puzzles or art stuff... and they seem to be getting bored with some of the other stuff.. I'm just not sure how many things I should have out.. if I should
cut back a bit and then rotate more to keep up interest or what. I can't keep buying and buying like I have been .. I'm running out of funds..

Can you please advise me how you manage your resources so they keep the kids happy, interested and also tie in well with the EYFS...

thanks a lot.. Chris.x

sweets
17-05-2009, 07:37 PM
i don't have nearly as many toys out permanantly as you, i just 2 or 3 main sets e.g duplo and farm or mega blocks and kitchen out. each moring i put a couple of jigsaws and books on the coffee table and thats it.
i change the main toys about 3 times a day and if a child asks for something specific i will get it. I found that if they have too many choices they don't play with them or tend to flit from 1 to another without really engaging with the toy.

sarah707
17-05-2009, 07:41 PM
All my resources are freely accessible but I support children not to get out too many things at once... the floor gets dangerous, the little one falls over something etc.

In a morning I will set out something I know they will enjoy and then help them to put that away. I'm not totally set on them clearing up and I do encourage them to leave things out for later, but only if they are not at risk from falling over or hurting themselves etc.

I have a child just now who tips toy boxes. He thinks it is funny to run into the playroom and tip 3 or 4 boxes and throw the toys around while I am saying good bye to his mum. I have started locking the playroom until I am ready to go in with them as it is dangerous for the other children. They bring one lot of toys out or sit reading books until I am ready to open the door.

It's down to how best you can manage the toys and the children. If they are bored, get a couple of things out and do more with them.

Hth :D

estrelas
17-05-2009, 08:21 PM
In our main room i have enough room for only a bit these are
bricks and other building stuff ( forgot the name=
train set with cars and a road
dolls and dolls houses ( we've had three weeks of this, i'm bored but the girls aren't)
Puzzles
A craft area ' which they use every day normaly after tea
and the out door stuff

Everything else I have in an album, on the first day of the week they can choose two things to come down.

We're out in the park most nights so they have yet to gt bored!

Their also taught that only two things out at one time, or it gets too crammed and dangerous,

We also have a small reading area mainly used at the end of the day x

miffy
17-05-2009, 08:25 PM
You seem to have a lot out at one time Chris - perhaps you could try having fewer toys out at one time and then different things each day.

It's trial and error until you find a system that works well for you (and the mindees)

Miffy xx

Mrs M
20-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a lot of toys in boxes in the dining/play room. We have a train box, a vehicle box, building blocks, number box (jigsaw and number skittles), books box, a miscellaenous box (dolls, phones etc.) and then loose things such as hoovers, castle, black board. We have more puzzles and books on shelves and many more toys, including the musical instruments, in my son's room which we sometimes bring downstairs. When the boys (both 2 1/2) are in one of their mad moods, they do sometimes get a little carried away with so many toys but most of the time it works well. They're all in a corner with lids on the boxes. At the moment though, the boys are more interested in using the cushions as beds or cars!
You have to do what works for you.

wellybelly
20-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Like Sarah says, chiuldren have access to a lot of the resources but not all at the same time.

I have a craft cupboard which is locked, but its low enough for children to get into when I am there - risks like buttons, paint and glue which little ones may swallow.

There are plenty of mark making materials available at all times though in the main room.

I have 6 magazine files labled under the 6 areas full of activities, colouring sheets, ideas. They all have something to offer and I keep them in the main room so if a child is enjoying an activity, I can extend it further with something from here.

Outside also reflects indoors with mark making materials available at all times and lots of natural materials to play and construct with.