PDA

View Full Version : anti depressants.....

misst104
12-05-2009, 12:44 PM
A friend of mine is really interested in becoming a cm and has just phoned to ask a question which I don't really know the answer to.....but I told her i knew a place where someone would :D

She is currently taking Fluoxetine (anti-depressant) for PND. She has been on it some time (her youngest is 3) and wondered if this meant she would not be able to be registered. I myself was on this medication after DS2 but have been 'off' it for well over a year and it was not brought up by Ofsted - I did disclose the information on my health dec. So the question is, can you become a CM whilst currently taking this kind of medication????

Hope someone can help and I can let her know.

Thanks everyone :)

Jo xxx

huggableshelly
12-05-2009, 12:52 PM
errr well the best thing to do really is to ring ofsted and ask and also check with her doc too.

i've never had to take anti depressants but a friend of mine is on a strong dose, she was not allowed to work in an elderly residental home due to the strength she was on but that is now being reduced slowly. I dont know enough to offer any other advice but good luck to her xxx

estrelas
12-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Not sure Jo sorry, good advice above.
Get her to call Ofsted, :)

Daddy Day Care
12-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I was anti depressants 3 years ago, due to problems at work. It got to the stage where physicaly I couldnt make myself go into work, so I was off work for 4 months before handing my notice in. As soon as I handed it in I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders and stopped taking the tablets.

When i decided i wnated to be a childminder, I was worried about the anti depressants and worried because I just stoipped tkaing them, i didnt go see my doctor about it.

A local childminder gave me the e-mail address of her support worker and told me to e-mail her to see what she thought.

Her advice was to go and tlak to my Doctor about it, It would only affect my application, if the doctor didnt tihkn I was upto it. I went and had a chat with him, he was a little concerned as I just took myself of them, but he did understand and said that on my health form it would be noted I had depression for a few months but that would be it.

This mgiht be totally different in your area but id get your friend to go speak to her Doctor see what they have to say about it.

Gareth
xx

sue m
12-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm on them Jo, the same ones as your friend. Ofsted wanted a letter from my doctor to say I was fit to care for children and that was that. Not a problem.

Nix
12-05-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm on them Jo, the same ones as your friend. Ofsted wanted a letter from my doctor to say I was fit to care for children and that was that. Not a problem.

Seems like that's the answer. Hope it works out for your friend.:thumbsup:

Daftbat
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I used to take them and there was no problem ever with Ofsted. Its up to the doc at the end of the day to confirm your fitness for work but i wouldn't worry about it.

mumof1
12-05-2009, 06:53 PM
im glad to hear sue that it wasnt a problem for you, cos this is sumthing that i have been worried about. I went on flouxitine 5 years ago when my daughter was born, and i have now been off them 6 months. I was worried about it affecting me being a childminder.

breezy
12-05-2009, 07:10 PM
As said before it will depend on whether her dr says she's fit for work, she needs to see him/her, hope she gets on ok.

Lick'le Oakes
12-05-2009, 08:36 PM

this is my situation aswell, Ofsted was fine infact she was on the same ones too.