PDA

View Full Version : Outings

Holly
11-02-2008, 05:10 PM
When you go on outings like to waky wearhouse, do you go before hand an do a risk assesment? my college tutor said you should but do you actually do it? Is it an Ofstead requirement?
If you do then what do you look for?
Do you talk to staff? ....
Thanks!

Sorry if its in the wrong thread!

Banana
11-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I havnt heard of this but whenever I take the children anywhere I always check that everytyhing is safe and keep them away from potential hazards that I consider could be dangerous. This is all done on arrival though. You sort of just get used to picking out things which might be dangerous but in places like wacky warehouse you rarely come across and dangers as those sorts of places are totally geared up to children. The only hazard at ours are the doors to the entrance fo wacky and the toilet doors - they are so heavy that little fingers trapped in them would be horriffic!!
xx

sarah707
11-02-2008, 06:12 PM
It is part of the eyfs that comes in Sept that we will have to risk assess all outings and it says it is good practice to visit before hand and do an assessment... :D

bubbly
11-02-2008, 06:23 PM
It is part of the eyfs that comes in Sept that we will have to risk assess all outings and it says it is good practice to visit before hand and do an assessment... :D

I'm staying home then :D

Rubybubbles
11-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm staying home then :D

haha!! NO there are easy really, my main point on there is emergancy contact numbers:D

deeb66
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes...they don't have to 1000 word essays ;) :D

Just a quick sheet thinking about what you need to have with you, what equipment you need to get there and possible dangers and how you will deal with them whilst you are there.

Twinkles
11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I think it's something we all do subconciously anyway. I usually make sure when we go on outings that I have first aid kit,emergency contact numbers, plenty of water to drink etc and when I get somewhere I will look for exits ( fire exits as well as unauthorised exit of children! ), unsafe equipment etc. But does this mean under eyfs I will have to write it all down? :panic:

deeb66
11-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I think it's something we all do subconciously anyway. I usually make sure when we go on outings that I have first aid kit,emergency contact numbers, plenty of water to drink etc and when I get somewhere I will look for exits ( fire exits as well as unauthorised exit of children! ), unsafe equipment etc. But does this mean under eyfs I will have to write it all down? :panic:

That is exactly the sort of thing.

yes under EYFS it should be written otherwise you can't prove it.

It shouldn't be that difficult.....why not make up a quick standard form and it should only take a few minutes to fill in

son77
11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
With the risk assessments, do you fill one out when you get there? If so, do you have to do a new one every time you visit the same place? Or do you just have one wrote down which goes through the procedure but you don't have to write on it?

Sorry I haven't done any risk assessments yet but I don't really want to be filling loads in all the time & having to print them off all the time too.

sarah707
11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I intend to do one every time I go somewhere new and build up a collection as time goes by...

Then if something changes when I'm re-visiting a place, i will make a note and update the risk assessment ready for next time :D

deeb66
11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Most places that you go to you will visit quite often so you could do a risk assessment and leave in your files to check every so often.

I have been doing risk assessments for a few years now and if I go to anywhere new I just complete what I can and then when I get there do a quick mental assessment to make sure area safe. i.e. gates that kids could get out of etc etc.......it really does depend on where you go.

son77
11-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Do you use 'tick boxes' kind of things?

deeb66
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Do you use 'tick boxes' kind of things?

It is a mixture of tick boxes and written word. I tend to use the tick boxes for equipment that I will need like buggies, first aid kit, water, nappies etc etc

tulip0803
11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I am working as a playworker at the moment and I have to do risk assessments. I have to do them prior to going. If It has already been done we do not need to do another unless there is a significant change. We have a form that is boxes risk, to whom, why, level of risk, what can be done.

I look for exits, things they can fall over, bump into etc kitchen doors and under the what can be done is normally close supervision. Risk is how likely it is to happen i.e. Risk - carpark - child has to exit throgh locked gate, passed manned checkout and through heavy doors - Low risk. close supervision of children.

Julia XX