PDA

View Full Version : CHILDMINDING IN FRANCE AND IN UK

eimpi
11-05-2009, 07:50 AM
HELLO,

How do you become a childminder in the uK ????

Here in France , you could become a childminder only with a visit of a nurse and then you had a 60 hours training.
Now from this year on, you have a 60 hour training before starting and an other 60 hours once you started. No exam needed, only attend courses is compulsory.
Still have the visit of a nurse to see security of the house and ask you question.

ARE allowed to look after three kids at the same time, now four (from january on) except if you have already your own kids.

WHAT about you ???? So i will understand more your conversations.
Have you got an exam???
How many children are you allowed to look after???
Can you live on with your wages ????
Have you got a lot of demands from parents or not ???:huh: huh: huh:

devoncm
11-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi.
Over here your allowed to look after 6 under 8's if no children of your own and depending on size of house.
We have a visit from ofsted and have to attend an ICP course and first aid, theres an exam at the end of both of these.
As i have an under 8 child and sometimes under 5 im allowed 4 children, of these 1 can be under 1, 2 under 5 and 1 under 8, the over 1-8 can vary slightly as long as my numbers arnt over what im allowed, then we get inspected about 6 months after being registered then every 3 yrs after that. I think you could live off our wages if you were full all the time but im not yet full, the demands of parents havent been to bad for me yet,but i think most of the problems are money related with parents

tulip0803
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Hello:)

Each area of the UK comes under different registration body and different standards to work to.

I am in Wales(Pays de Galles) and I am registered with CSSIW (Care and Social Services Inspectorate of Wales) I am inspected from a care perspective whereas England (OFSTED) are inspected from an educational view.

I am inspected (visited) regularly by an inspector to make sure that my care reaches the minimum standards set out in law. Before registering we have to attend a course and pass a test. Then we have to submit an application wiht all our procedures and policies. They do medical, social services, police and reference checks then come to inspect the house. We have to do a First Aid course, Basic Food Hygiene and Child protection courses. There are others that are optional at the moment but they want everyone who cares for children to have a Level 3 qualification in childcare in a few years.

I can also care for 5 children as I have one child under 8 years. I also have two other children (17, 11) who do not count as they are over 8. I can care for 5 children under 8 years, of which no more than 3 of these can be under 5 and no more than 2 of these can be under 18months. Slightly different than England.

If I was able to fill my spaces I could make a good living but at the moment in my area times are difficult and I am only childminding 5.5 hours a week:( . So have a part-time job too.

The parent I have is absolutely fine and no problem. but I have had problems in the past.

Pipsqueak
11-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Have you got a lot of demands from parents or not ???:huh: huh: huh:

Some parents are lovely and really appreciate what you do but others are really quite irrational with their expectations and not even clear about their demands but clearest one is normally the cost should be lower!!!

Don't know what the conversion is but prices for childcare across the uk can range between £3 up to £8 per hour (give or take a bit)

Do you have a framework to work to? WE have the EYFS here in England.

singlewiththree
12-05-2009, 06:16 AM
I suggest you read the first page http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/ which says how to become a childminder.

You need insurance and registration. Registration can take on average about 6mths. You have to attend a course and then an exam. Have Pediatric 12hr first aid, Criminal Record Check and have your home inspected by ofsted prior to starting. Then your numbers depends on how much space you have.