PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to do obs on your own children?

Hooligan59
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
A potential new minder asked me yesterday, after I had been visited by Ofsted, if she would need to do observations on her own child as well as any she minded within the EYFS.

I couldn't give her an answer, as I don't remember seeing anything any where about it!

Any ideas??:idea:

wendywu
08-05-2009, 12:24 PM
No i dont think you do any on your own children.:eek:

rickysmiths
08-05-2009, 12:37 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Just the thought makes me feel sick!!!!

LittleMissSparkles
08-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Not to my knowledge , I certainly dont do obs on my own dd x

huggableshelly
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
hope not! but what i do is my kiddies both have scrap books the same as my mindees and they fill them with things they want to put in there ... just like my non EYFS mindees its my way of ensuring inclusion but you dont need to observe your own.

ORKSIE
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Think we got enough to do, let alone our own:laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
hope not! but what i do is my kiddies both have scrap books the same as my mindees and they fill them with things they want to put in there ... just like my non EYFS mindees its my way of ensuring inclusion but you dont need to observe your own.

Thats a nice idea. Mine are all grown up now, tho you wouldnt think it the way my DD has been behaving lately:panic:

Cazz
08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I asked this question on a recent course and was told no - Ofsted are not interested in obs for your own children.

I'll still do a scrapbook for my 16 month daughter, as somebody mentioned, as I think it's a nice thing for her to look back on.

Carole x

funtoplay
08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
OMG :eek:

Julia

Hooligan59
08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for that - I will pass it on to my friend!

I must admit the thought of doing obs on my own children would have freaked me out - but mine are way beyond that now!!!:)

huggableshelly
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
we can officially neglect our own ..... hee hee

Pipsqueak
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM
oh good lordy NOOOOOOOOO

PixiePetal
08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
It's amazing how my two have grown up so well and reasonably intelligent without official obs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Helen79
10-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't think we have to.
I have a learning journal for my ds & have put very small obs in there & have done 1 or 2 planned obs on him with a few photos just to show potential parents, not for ofsted

TheBTeam
10-05-2009, 08:58 AM
My two children are outside the eyfs age bracket but my almost 7 year old dd likes to have her pictures etc treated the same as the mindees, so i think if she was eyfs then i would do a similar idea to ensure that she felt included.

I have seen one done by a mum for their child and it was quite nice to look back on and ensures you remember their important dates. (the mum was a tutor on the eyfs for childminders) She thought she could better understand what was needed by us and have an example to show if she followed the requirements herself. It did help us and was a lovely keepsake for her child.

wellybelly
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I do to make my children feel included. They have a learning journey folder like the others where obs and examples of their work are kept. I track them to the eyfs and write regular reports too.

When I had my inspection, inspector asked why I had'nt got a contract or reg form for this child? I explained it is because she is my child lol! Good job she laughed.

andreaschildcare
12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi

I do them on my 23 month old son. The reason for this is that I have something to show prospective parents etc ie the learning journal without breaking any confidentiality of the oither children if that makes sense!

Carol
06-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi

I do them on my 23 month old son. The reason for this is that I have something to show prospective parents etc ie the learning journal without breaking any confidentiality of the oither children if that makes sense!

Thats a good idea. Wouldnt want to do one now for my two kids ones 24 yrs old and my son is 17 yrs old. Wouldnt want parents reading what I observe them doing :laughing: :laughing:

Carol