PDA

View Full Version : Baseline obs what do you do?

youarewhatyoueat
07-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I've got a new mindee starting soon age 6 months and would like to do baseline obs as a starting point once they have settled, what chart should I use?
Thanks, Caroline

sarah707
07-05-2009, 08:55 PM
You use the Eyfs ages and stages information - it's at the back of the Eyfs guidance booklet :D

youarewhatyoueat
07-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Yes i've got that already but wanted something a bit more broken down and a bit more user friendly to show mum. Never mind thx

Chatterbox Childcare
08-05-2009, 07:34 AM
There is a tracker book available and I think it is great to give the parents to complete. As this young age they are the best ones to know the children.

You could then use your normal system after this.

I have some if you want them cheaper than QED as I brought them in bulk for our group.

nicole_kirsty
08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
There is a tracker book available and I think it is great to give the parents to complete. As this young age they are the best ones to know the children.

You could then use your normal system after this.

I have some if you want them cheaper than QED as I brought them in bulk for our group.

Hi

What the name of this book? Also what are baseline obs? Sorry if i sound stupid got my first EY starting beginning of june so havent really got into the obs yet to much! :panic: :panic:

Thanks

sarah707
08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi

What the name of this book? Also what are baseline obs? Sorry if i sound stupid got my first EY starting beginning of june so havent really got into the obs yet to much! :panic: :panic:

Thanks

When you take on a child, you need to gather information about their starting points... their age and stage of development, learning etc.

You do this in a variety of ways... you ask parents for information, you try and share with other settings the child might attend, you talk to any other professionals working with the child... and you do a series of observations over the child's first days and weeks with you.

When you have put all this information together and looked at it along with the Eyfs, you can make a series of decisions about what kind of plans you need to write to support the next steps in the child's learning and development.

It is up to you how you write up this information, there are a number of ideas around. One is a 'Tracker' book by QED - you can find it if you Google. It's not terribly popular with Ofsted as it is a bit too much like a tick list and not enough about the actual child... but it is widely used and if backed up with other information / photos etc then many people find it a useful guidance tool.

hope this clarifies! :D