PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Thermometer

elaineg
10-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Do you need to have a fridge thermometer, and if so how often do you check and record it. Does ofsted ask to see this.

love Elaine XXX

LittleMissSparkles
10-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I dont know but I do not have one xxxx

Mollymop
10-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi,
I asked my childminding friend this the other day as I was worried about it as I don't have one.

She said that OFsted don't check but environmental health do, if you are providing meals for the children I think it is best to have one.
Ofsted will like it anyway whether you have to have or not it will show good practise.
I think you should record the temp every day.

littlesprogs
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I have one on mine but mine is a usa fridge/freezer so it has the temp on the ice machine.

Ofsted liked that we had this when i had my pre-reg

manjay
10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I have to have one and record the temp daily. I log it in my daily diary along with the food we have eaten. My inspector was hot on this and asked to see it when she visited last week. Not sure what OFSTEDs requirements are

amanda xx

Tily Bud
10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I have one I got it in time for my inspection but i can honestly say it is just lying on the bottom of my fridge and i dont check it :eek:

Angela234
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I have one in my fridge and freezer i don't check them that often i know i should every day and record it i have the pack from environmental health

Its all getting silly i know my fridge is cold enough!
How much more recording do we have to do

Angela

deeb66
10-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I have a digital one that sticks to the outside of the fridge but has sensors that fit inside the fridge and the feezer.

I find these much easier as I do not have to open the fridge or freezer to check what the tempretures are.

I also log on my daily risk assessment what those tempretures are every morning.

I know someone who had an inspection recently and her inspector wanted to check as it comes under the headings of Safety and Healthy!

Monkey1
10-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I got mine free from a local company, i just had to produce a recent food hygiene certificate and i got the thermometer and a food probe free of charge!

deeb66
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I got mine free from a local company, i just had to produce a recent food hygiene certificate and i got the thermometer and a food probe free of charge!

Wow...that was good Monkey.

I got mine from ebay :D

Rasharoon
10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I have one I got it in time for my inspection but i can honestly say it is just lying on the bottom of my fridge and i dont check it :eek:

OMG - snap. Didn't realise we were supposed to record the temp. Something else to remember to fill in.

deeb66
10-02-2008, 06:09 PM
OMG - snap. Didn't realise we were supposed to record the temp. Something else to remember to fill in.

It is not a requirement but is good practice.

I went on a Food Safety and Hygiene course in December and it was recommended that you check and log daily......If a child ends up with food poisoning you can use your logs as evidence that you have stored your food correctly.

That was what we were told anyway!

sarah707
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I record my fridge and freezer temps every day when i go round and do my quick check for risk assessment.

If a child was ill and the parent - never the one to blame! :rolleyes: - suggested I had not stored food safely... how else would I be able to prove it? :D

manjay
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
It is not a requirement but is good practice.

I went on a Food Safety and Hygiene course in December and it was recommended that you check and log daily......If a child ends up with food poisoning you can use your logs as evidence that you have stored your food correctly.

That was what we were told anyway!

Me too! My inspector advised that these records would be required if a child had food poisoning

amanda xx

Spangles
10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for this thread I've been meaning to buy these for ages but in the end just forgot about it! I'm off to E-bay!

Thank you.

deeb66
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks for this thread I've been meaning to buy these for ages but in the end just forgot about it! I'm off to E-bay!

Thank you.

This is the one that I got -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dual-Zone-Digital-Fridge-Freezer-Thermometer-With-Alarm_W0QQitemZ370021313045QQihZ024QQcategoryZ4342 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To be honest if I was to buy again I would get the one with the remote so that I do't have to have wires all over the place!

Spangles
10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Dee.

To be honest though I wasn't even thinking of buying a lovely fancy one like that, I was just going to buy one that looks like a normal thermometer with the mercury or whatever it is that rises up the middle but for fridges/freezers.

Is that no good? I don't want to waste my money buying one (even though they're cheap) and then have to buy something else?

manjay
10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks Dee.

To be honest though I wasn't even thinking of buying a lovely fancy one like that, I was just going to buy one that looks like a normal thermometer with the mercury or whatever it is that rises up the middle but for fridges/freezers.

Is that no good? I don't want to waste my money buying one (even though they're cheap) and then have to buy something else?

Just make sure you can read it easily without having to get your head right into the fridge!! I got mine from Lakeland plastics but then I love that shop

amanda xx

deeb66
10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Dee.

You buy whatever you want Lorri

There was 2 reasons for me buying this one -

1. I could get exact tempretures.

2. Easy to read and didn't have to open the fridge and freezer to read.

I did have the basic sort before but after my Food course in December I decided to buy something like this.

Spangles
10-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Okay, thank you Dee.

LittleMissSparkles
10-02-2008, 09:05 PM
oh god something else i've learned today

nb to self - get fridge/freezer thermometer asap xxxx

wendywu
10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Yet another thing to add onto the risk assesment daily check list. Soon it will mean that by the time i have finished all the checks and am ready to start the day, parents will be knocking on the door and it will be time for the mindees to go home:panic:

Rasharoon
11-02-2008, 01:47 PM
So what temperatures should your fridge and freezer be then according to the guidelines?

deeb66
11-02-2008, 08:40 PM
So what temperatures should your fridge and freezer be then according to the guidelines?

Fridge should be between 1-4c

Freezer should be between minus 18-22c

Rasharoon
12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks Dee

deeb66
12-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks Dee

No Probs :D

Nix
12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
I was visited by Environmental Health who said I needed one, then I did a Food Hygiene Course and they said I needed one too.

I record temperature once a day.

No idea about Ofsted as I'm still waiting for my first inspection since registration!!