PDA

View Full Version : puppy in the house!!

kats
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi, i wrote last week for some advise about having a puppy whist childminding. i got a call on friday, the first one ive had for a long while, to mind a 6 month old little boy, the minute i said i would be getting a puppy i could just tell that she was no longer interested. I hope this doesnt happen every time, im beginning to think having a puppy might affect my future buisiness, i hope not because i know i could look after child and dog perfectly well!!

love kats xx

Curly Quavers
03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
You are better off without parent like that,

Don't worry I think that kids can get a lot from being around animals. (2 dogs in my house) if you get others who sound a bit funny about dogs just go through all the provisions you have made with relation to your dog. No access to food no unsupervised access to the dog washing hands after touching the dog. Perhaps after parents see you are responsible they will think differently.

cuddlybunny38
03-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Ive got a dog( lab/ collie cross, she is 11) , 4 adult cats, 2 kittens(somedays though have to shut them upstairs as some of the mindees hurt them, even when told no) and 3 hamsters. Like a zoo. All parents ok at mom, in the past( about 10 years ago) I have had people say about animals, so always say on the phone now when they ring.

devoncm
03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I usually forget to tell them on the phone, but he's such a lovely dog anyway its like he's not here, he sleeps all day! most people are fine about but did have one parent a while ago come round, said her kids were fine with dogs but when he walked past 1 yr old she cried so mum said would i be able to put him upstairs out the way while her children were here? erm.... she wanted care from 7.30-5.30/6 3 days a week- no i couldnt do that,, i wouldnt shut my children upstairs and wont my dog either-he doesnt even go upstairs anyway so definate nono- needless to say didnt get the children!

You will always get people who dont like dogs and some who do, my opinion is if you want one get one, mine had lots of training and is now a great big softie, kids come in and pull his fur put fingers in nose or eyes and he doesnt do a thing-of course this behaviour i do not encourage but it does happen.

cs01
03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Before I started childminding, the very day my 1st set of parents signed the contract is the same day as we went out to get a puppy! They were fully aware of my intentions and because I had researched the breed I wanted, they were fine. I signed the 2nd set of parents about a week later, when I already had the dog. When I 1st met that mum, she seemed a bit wary because her baby was only just crawling but I assured her the dog would be kept away from the baby when he would be crawling around and she was fine with this. There are days when it is tricky having the puppy and the kids because the older child does torment the dog but I have an area where the dog can go and the kids can't get to her and that seems to work.

If you want a puppy then you should go ahead and get one. Once the dog settles in then its lovely for the kids to have a dog around. They love watching the dog run around and taking it for walks. Also, as you are going to be at home alot, as opposed to going out to work, nows a good time to get a dog as they need lots of company.

There are parents out there who won't object to you having a puppy, many of them will even have dogs of their own!

kats
03-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Thankyou everyone i feel a bit more positive about it now, its got to be a case of love me love my dog and from what you are saying there are people out there who will accept that :)
Love Katsxx

Blackhorse
03-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Kats,

I am thinking of getting a puppy too!! I already have 2 cats and 3 fish...so if people don't like their los around animals I guess they would not send them to me anyway....

animals have so much to offer...especially to children..they learn so much and have loads of fun too.

I also think it is the perfect opportunity for me to get a puppy once I am registered as I will be working from home, have a garden.. be taking kids out and about...going to parks etc etc...
I could never have a dog as I was in an office job where I was travelling a lot too. I am really looking forward to having a dog around and I hope most parents will see the benefits...

Good luck with your puppy and once you have it let us see some pics!!
Which breed are you interested in ???
I was looking at labrador retrievers..although I would love to have a St. bernard or a newfoundland....bit I think they are a bit too big for my house/garden and I feel that they might make people worry as they are so huge....

littletreasures
03-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I have an old golden retriever and a labrador/cocker spaniel cross, 2 cats and 2 kittens.

All my parents are glad that I have animals because they can't have animals at home as parents out at work all day. The kids are involved in looking after the animals, even coming to the vets with me.

We did a fantastic Vets theme before christmas as Bailey had to go in for an xray. The vet let us borrow the xrays and gave us an operating gown to play at vets.

The children help feed them and also groom them. Many a time I have found J in the dogs bed cuddled up with them. Parents have a photo of that as their screensaver!!!

Just let the parent's know how you proposed to keep the children safe and that they know you can shut the puppy away if necessary.

kats
03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi blackhorse, its black lab we are getting, we pick him up on may 16th he will be 8 weeks old and he is gorgeous, been reared on a farm by lovely breeders and we saw the mother dog who was healthy and happy, Little treasures ,he looks a lot like the picture of the dog you have on here,

love kats xx

littletreasures
03-05-2009, 08:42 PM
That's Bailey, he looks very much like a pure lab, though his head isn't as big and he isn't as broad across the chest or chunky. He has longer ears than a lab as well though not as long as a cocker spaniel. Mum was a chocolate lab and Dad was a black cocker spaniel.

Enjoy him and be very firm. Labs are known gannets so make sure your own children don't sneak food and let him take it from them.

Look forward to seeing photos of him. What are you going to call him?

FussyElmo
03-05-2009, 08:44 PM
When I told my mindees parents we were having a pup (labrador cross spaniel) they were all fine. My lo parents were pleased because they wouldnt have a dog out all day so she still gets the benefit of having a pup.

Dont let a bad experiance put you off - children get so much out of pets:)

kats
03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
We have finally decided on max :) and yeah ive heard they are very greedy but are a dog that have a lovely temperament thats why we went for the labrador. when we get him i will put some pics on
love katsxx

Blackhorse
03-05-2009, 08:56 PM
lovely name!!

How did you find the breeder?

I am worried about finding a good breeder.
The cats we have came from a cat and dog home, but the dog I want to get from a breeder as I want a specific breed of dog that is still a puppy so that my cats can get used to it better and I know the history of the dog fully (which I think is important especially for the childminding)

littletreasures
03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
We found the breeder for Harvey as she lived close by and we saw her walking her dogs in the park. She interviewed us as much as us interviewing her. We had to take the kids as well so she could see what they were like with the dogs.

Bailey was bought from a farm in Wales. We saw an advert on the internet and must admit we took a chance. He is absolutely fantastic, he is so calm and amazing with the children. He is as good as gold in the house and even the minded children, youngest is 2, can tell him to go on his bed and he does!!!!

kats
03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
We actually had the breeder recommended to us, so we went to visit them and as i said they live on a big farm in the country and have lots of dogs themselves and to be honest it all just felt right. The mother dog was there and her temperament was lovely and the breeder was as interested in us as we were in him. wanting to know everything about where we lived, wanted to meet our children, i have 3, and he said that if ever we felt for any reason in the future that we couldnt keep the dog would we please give it back to him , that told me that he cared about the pups. Also he wouldnt let them go until they are 8 weeks which is how its supposed to be, some breeders dont care and let them go much earlier, it all just felt right. Hope you have luck finding what you want. :) :)
Love Kats xx

Trouble
03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
my black lab smiles:D :D

lovely dogs:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

kats
03-05-2009, 09:16 PM
How old is your dog rascal??

ORKSIE
03-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I miss my Lab, she was gorgeous, her name was Charlie.
Love her, she will love you back unconditionally:)

Trouble
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
How old is your dog rascal??

hes 10 ish very easy to train has lovely character

Demonjill
03-05-2009, 09:55 PM
We actually had the breeder recommended to us, so we went to visit them and as i said they live on a big farm in the country and have lots of dogs themselves and to be honest it all just felt right. The mother dog was there and her temperament was lovely and the breeder was as interested in us as we were in him. wanting to know everything about where we lived, wanted to meet our children, i have 3, and he said that if ever we felt for any reason in the future that we couldnt keep the dog would we please give it back to him , that told me that he cared about the pups. Also he wouldnt let them go until they are 8 weeks which is how its supposed to be, some breeders dont care and let them go much earlier, it all just felt right. Hope you have luck finding what you want. :) :)
Love Kats xx

Thats one of the best signs of a good breeder is the fact they will take the dog back if for any reason it does not work out.:)

Demonjill
03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Life is too short so if you want pup or dog or anything really just go for it. Everything else can work round it .
Im sure for every family that doesnt "do" dogs there are another 10 who do LOL
I grew up with dogs and they are fab. Had golden lab called "Shane" and Golden Retriever called "Major" both excellent temperaments, kind and loadsa fun.
I now have a cat, horse, 2 birds and a hamster. In the past have had rabbits, guineapigs, and mice. Pets are fab and brill for the kids.:thumbsup: