PDA

View Full Version : calling those who employ assistants!

butterfly
02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi! I'm looking for any advice possible re taking on an assistant.

basically i'm thinking of having one on tues, wed and thu from about 8.30 till 5 so that I can increase my numbers from about nov time.

ca anyone give advice on things like them being self employed, how much do you pay them? do i have to pay nat ins or tax for them?

what sort of contract?

how would i go about advertising for one and what would i look for?

please help! it would be good because i have at least two babies on the waiting list which i'd love to take!

also does anyone ere have an assistant and have 6 under 5 - all of which are under 2.5yrs? i'm just thinking about how we would house them all for sleeps and eating etc!

ORKSIE
02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I dont really know the answer to your question but... i didnt think having an assistant would allow you to increase your numbers.
I may very well be wrong tho:huh:

TheBTeam
02-05-2009, 06:00 PM
I had my husband as an assistant for about 18months before he registered in his own right, we fought to get extra under 5s, but were only given one as OFSTED said that having an assistant gave you no right to have extra numbers.

I would check with them and talk through your plans with them to see how they feel about things in your area.

As far as i know if you take them on as self employed then they pay their own tax and ni, and i would find out if you have to pay them the minimum wage, mine was my dh so i didn't pay him anything, just the luxury of living with me!!:laughing: :laughing:

You will need an employers liaibility insurance irrespective of whether you pay them or not.

TheBTeam
04-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Thank you for advice pauline, i had thought of that because i certainly wouldn't want to pay the tax man anymore than had to. We didn't have any tax to pay that year anyway, can't remember why, it would have broken my heart to pay him,:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Last year where he was registered in his own right, we have split 50/50 and have a small amount to pay each, and will do same in future. I had a long chat with the revenue about splitting the income, but still decided it was so entwined that can't separate out and will do 50/50.

I do my own accounts, and was lucky as part of a previous job to train as a financial adviser even though i never used it!

loocyloo
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
i have an assistant, although i'm not using her at the moment !!!

she just helps me afterschool, and having spoken to ofsted, when she is working, i can double my numbers!! i can have 2 under 5, and 2 5-8's, and my assistant can have 1 under 5 (as she has 2 under 5 herself!) and 3 5-8s!! so, including our own children - a total of 6 under 5 and 6 5-8s !!! if we ever felt that mad!!! :D

i just have to phone ofsted and tell them when she is working and that i will be over my under 5 numbers ( but within my permitted numbers when working with an assistant ) !!!!

she is self employed, and invoices me each month for hours worked. i pay her the minimum wage.