PDA

View Full Version : ice

Moominmomma
26-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm going to put some ice cubes out for the LO's to play with, wanted to do different colours, would you use food colouring?

The kids are 2 and 9 months?

rickysmiths
26-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Be careful with food colouring with such little ones as it does stain. I am a cake decorator and I wear gloves so I don't have multi-coloured hands!!! I also wonder with ice with such little ones, it is very cold and can burn and stick to the skin.

ORKSIE
26-04-2009, 01:33 PM
This is just my opinion and I may be too erotic but ice cubes worry me with little one, poss choking hazzard. For that reason I personally wouldnt use them:)

Mouse
26-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I do agree with the others, I wouldn't use ice cubes with such little ones.

Allie
26-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I have used ice cubes with this age group, not coloured though, they wouldn't touch it for ages as it was cold.

Once it started melting they got really interested, holding the cubes, letting water drip through their fingers. I had put the polar bear, killer whale penguins etc in with the cubes, this resulted in some interesting comments, one little one thought they should wear scarves! the 3 year old realised ice was made of water and linked this to snow being water.

I would definately do it, again it would need a risk assessment this time because of EYFS but still worth it for the learning it promoted

Allie

Moominmomma
26-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks, might just stick to non-coloured ice. And as there is only 2 of them I will be sat with them at all times.

I know my own kids loved sliding the ice around the table whenever we went out to restaurants.

Hebs
26-04-2009, 03:34 PM
This is just my opinion and I may be too erotic but ice cubes worry me with little one, poss choking hazzard. For that reason I personally wouldnt use them:)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: sorry that made me giggle :blush:

i'm sure you ment neurotic :thumbsup: :D :laughing:

ORKSIE
26-04-2009, 04:12 PM
i'm sure you ment neurotic :thumbsup: :D :laughing:[/QUOTE]

:blush: :blush: LOL yep that is what i meant:laughing:

hectors house
27-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I have used ice cubes with this age group, not coloured though, they wouldn't touch it for ages as it was cold.

Once it started melting they got really interested, holding the cubes, letting water drip through their fingers. I had put the polar bear, killer whale penguins etc in with the cubes, this resulted in some interesting comments, one little one thought they should wear scarves! the 3 year old realised ice was made of water and linked this to snow being water.

I would definately do it, again it would need a risk assessment this time because of EYFS but still worth it for the learning it promoted

Allie

Yes I did this back in Feb when we were doing a weather topic - I put small plastic sharks in the moulds you use for ice lollies, that way they were too big for kids to put in mouths, but they could lick them if they wanted. The sharks in it meant the children could see more easily how much had melted from how much of the shark was sticking through - I did it with 18 month plus kids and put ice cubes on a tray on floor so they could play with them independantly. I showed the Ofsted inspector some left over shark cubes in the freezer - think she was impressed - most people only have fish fingers!

Kelly
27-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I think ice is great, if the children were little I would make large ice (I use empty margarine tubs) why don't you put in nice smelling herbs, mint and lavender works really well, as the they push the ice around and it melts, you get some lovely smells, making it a real sensory experience.

Mouse
27-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, I've certainly learnt something here. As per my previous post, I wouldn't have considered ice with little ones. I will now though!

Following on from this, another good idea is making ice 'cubes' in shallow jelly moulds or sand moulds. They look fab coming out as an animal or fish shape etc.

Trouble
27-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I think ice is great, if the children were little I would make large ice (I use empty margarine tubs) why don't you put in nice smelling herbs, mint and lavender works really well, as the they push the ice around and it melts, you get some lovely smells, making it a real sensory experience.

never thought of that:idea: nice one

louise
28-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I done this last summer. I used the water table with some slightly warm water in it to help it melt. i used some cubes with glitter in and i must have used a tad of blue food colouring, neither got stained. I also put a fish in one. Ds and mindee loved dropping it to help it break. I would do this again gthey loved it. I love the idea of herbs in it.

Moominmomma
29-04-2009, 03:51 PM
thanks, I was going to scrap it and do something else, but I'll stick to my plans and use big ice and herbs, and I might put some things in the ice.

I'm excited lets hope the kids will be!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

teacake2
30-04-2009, 08:53 AM
I did this a couple of months ago, but made a large block of ice with things in it, I made a large piece because one of my little ones has special needs and would not understand not to put things in his mouth. They looked at the ice, and we tried melting it using different temperatures of water, of course when using very warm water I poured it on for them (health and safety), and we counted how many cups of each type of water made some of the ice melt. I took photos of it, and by the time the ice had melted the water wasn't too cold so they then had a great time splashing about it in it (in a large washing up bowl) and seeing if the things that were in the ice would then float or sink in the water.
Teacake2

miffy
30-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I did this a couple of months ago, but made a large block of ice with things in it, I made a large piece because one of my little ones has special needs and would not understand not to put things in his mouth. They looked at the ice, and we tried melting it using different temperatures of water, of course when using very warm water I poured it on for them (health and safety), and we counted how many cups of each type of water made some of the ice melt. I took photos of it, and by the time the ice had melted the water wasn't too cold so they then had a great time splashing about it in it (in a large washing up bowl) and seeing if the things that were in the ice would then float or sink in the water.
Teacake2

Some good ideas there, thanks :thumbsup:

Miffy xx