PDA

View Full Version : pregnant childminder - need some advice!!

safe_and _sound
26-04-2009, 08:03 AM
hi

i've just found out that im pregnant and due in the christmas holidays.

i work with my mum and between us have around 18 children in and out throughout the week. we have established a really good reputation and business and was wondering how other childminders have have got around maternity leave and any advice on how to have some time off but not loose all of my customers.

is this something ofsted can advise me on, and im afraid of telling parents too soon in case they start looking for somewhere else straight away.

i'm in a bit of a dilema!! :jump for joy:

misst104
26-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Can't help with advice I'm afraid as don't know the answers but just wanted to say congratulations on the news and I hope someone will come along soon who can help! :thumbsup:

xxx

misst104
26-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Oh and welcome to the forum :o

xxx

aly
26-04-2009, 10:00 AM
it shouldn't affect people really {not been in that position myself}
depends on how long you want to take off really...my friend said unless something goes wrong endign up with a csec etc she is planning just taking 4 weeks off. maybe some of the parents can take their hols around that time etc???

good luck & wlecome
oh and congrats:clapping:

karenandsmile
27-04-2009, 03:54 PM
i made sure the parents new when i was due and gave them all a list of other childminders who could cover for me, i actually worked till they dragged me into hospital to have my baby and only had 2 weeks off work so it was just like having a holiday so no one seemed to be to bothered

and when took 4 weeks off when my husband died they where all very under standing and managed to cover one parent even took the time off and spent every day with me and helped me out with all the paper work involved

you will be surprised how most parents will be accomodating (though not all LOL) and maybe the ones who are not then do you really want to be childminding for them lol

Princess Sara
27-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Is there anyway your mum could take on most of the work for you? Is she a childminder or your assistant?

Depending on how you feel, a short maternity leave would be alot easier because you are working with someone iyswim?

mum2two
27-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Being in the xmas hols, most parents are off then anyway, so then it just depends on how long you want to take off.

Most parents will find cover for a short period, but I took on a brother & sister, as their old cm took 6 months. Parent said it was too long, to move the kids, get them settled, then move them back again!

I'm expecting later in the year, and I'll work right up til I go into labour... :) and then we're taking 2 weeks off. One thing about working with hubby I suppose, I can take it a bit easier & he can do school runs etc.
I have a cm opposite who will be our emergency contact, and should I need to get in urgently then she'll come over & call the parents! :thumbsup:

Playmate
27-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Maybe you could think about employing an assistant to cover this period, depends really how long you want to take off. I'm considering going this later this year as I work with my husband and he will need to go into hospital for surgery, which will take hime out of action for a few weeks.
Congratualtions anyway :clapping:

cara1235
27-04-2009, 08:01 PM
hi,
i worked until i was 38 weeks then had a c section and went back to work when baby was 6 weeks old, all the parents were happy to wait and i didnt lose any contracts, i think aslong as you give them notice and perhaps some numbers for other childminders to cover whilst you are off you should be fine dont worry if they dont come back as i am sure you could advertise and fill up soon
take care and congratulations!
( had my little girl on 17th dec and being so close to xmas is lovely, even though my bday is the 20th dec at xmas time now we fight over space for her bday cards and mine and xmas cards!! lol)

FussyElmo
28-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Tell the parents asap on my last ds parents took holidays and got grandparents to help out I took 2 weeks of and eased them back gently.

Last dd I did take longer 6 weeks but got other cm's to cover the children. I found in both cases because I gave the parents enough notice they can work round you :)