PDA

View Full Version : Parents and the EYFS

Allie
23-04-2009, 09:54 AM
I am currently researching the amount parents actually want to be involved in the partnership part of the Early Years Foundation Stage. (As part of my Certificate in Education)

I am interested in the reaction of parents either positive or negative to the whole partnership thing, my own parents are completely indifferent and will only contribute to the learning journey once a term and then only because I insist. I don't even get told if a child has experienced something at home that will change his or her behaviour at my setting. A sleepless night or a pet dying for example.

Am I alone in having this sort of reaction?

Allie

TheBTeam
23-04-2009, 10:46 AM
No you are not alone!!!

My parents don't even want to see what i keep on their children, let alone impart anything of much significance about their child.

One mum wrote on my questionnaire that she had no idea if what i did was appropriate for her childs age, stage etc, i was horrified when i read this and really upset, i had done a daily diary etc for her child who was just three, and regularly every day verbalised what we had done, what he could do etc!

It turned out that her comment was meant to mean that i was fine, but she had no idea what a child of his age should do, so despite what i had told her she had no idea herself of a childs development, so i gave her my developmental profiles and she said thanks, and that was the last we heard of it!

sarah707
23-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I have one set of parents who just want their children cared for safely while they are at work. The rest they are not interested in at all. In fact they were against me doing anything until I explained that it was statutory. If they tell me anything at all about their child's time at home I write it down as evidence of partnership - it's the best I can do.

I have another set of parents who are fairly well informed and interested. They read the daily diary usually and sometimes contribute. They tell me when things have happened at home sometimes and they enjoy looking through photo albums and learning journeys, but only at the photos, not all the words I add.

I used to think that most (NOT ALL) parents think of us as a stop gap between home and nursery and they believe that nursery is the educator and we are providing a safe place for their child to make friends and play. However having talked to some nursery / playgroup people recently they have the problem of parents seeing them as a stop gap to school where the real learning happens... so it's not just our problem!! :laughing:

Hth :D