PDA

View Full Version : mindees playing outside

sorrel
22-04-2009, 01:06 PM
i start minding a child who is 4 and his brother who is 8 mths old tomorrow (also have my own son 10mths) and was just wondering what are the rules for children playing outside, the thing is the 4 year old loves being outside (we live in a house on the outskirts of a village where there are no main roads and i have a big gate so no one can come in or out. i was wondering if he could play out on the patio which is just outside the playroom window where he is within ear shot by his own, as after doing some settling with them a few days ago i realised i'm going to find it hard to go out with him everytime as i have 2 little ones, do i i let him or is it best to allocate times for outside play such as after snack etc when i can take the babies out with me too.
i also have a 5 year old (my own)who i know my mindee will want to play with outside after school, again is that ok or not? and if they did do i leave door open, even though its meant to be locked?????? arghhhhhh so much to think about!! :eek: hope someone can help me!!

xx

TheBTeam
22-04-2009, 01:12 PM
It is okay for children to be in the garden as long as you have risk assessed what they have access to and its appropriateness for their age and stage etc, you also need to have the child within your sight or hearing at all times, i would also think about when you should be able to hear them but they are quiet etc, you don't want to find that by the time you have checked they are quiet because of a nasty accident etc.

My garden can be seen from my living room, dining room and kitchen and i only have toys safe for small children, so i let them out there to play, and if i can not be physically out there then i check very frequentl, i do not have skipping ropes freely available to them etc, they are packed away and children can not help themselves.

I spend a lot of time out there with the children, but if i have to nip in to a child in the living room who is playing or sleeping i can still probably see and definitely hear.

One upside of not living in a mansion i guess:laughing:

rickysmiths
22-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I usually go out in the garden with the children. I can't see a problem with your own children playing with the mindees at all. This should be a benifit for all.

When I have little ones like you, I may sit on a large rug with them and some toys, I also use a playpen so they can play, still see all of us and then I can play with the older ones for a bit.

When it is hot and sunny I use a variety of gazebos for shade, (bought from QVC, I have 2x 9ftsq and a 10ftsq that have lasted 4-5yrs now, they are the pop up type.) I have sides for them as well because you often find, especially if you have a south facing garden like I do, that the sun shines in round the sides!!!!!

Daftbat
22-04-2009, 01:22 PM
So long as the children are in sight or sound of you they should be fine in the garden. I am lucky that my garden is small so no one is ever out of earshot, or sight really.

PixiePetal
22-04-2009, 04:28 PM
My back garden is safe and enclosed. Patio doors from lounge/diner where I base myself so can see mindees from there. Not a huge garden so well within sight/hearing :thumbsup:

Do go outside too of course but on a nice day the door is open wide and we go in and out.:)

madasahatter
22-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Playing outside can be awkward when you have a mixed age range of children. I currently have a non walking just turned 1 yr old, 2 x 3yr olds and a 4yr old (not normally at the same time but have a variation just in case). My house has a lot of steps to access the garden so I have always made it a condition that we can only play out if I am with them. To ensure that the kids are all safe I have recently purchased a couple of sets of these foam mat sets (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-INTERLOCKING-FOAM-FLOORING-MATS-GYM-GARAGE-32-SQ-FT_W0QQitemZ260391131353QQihZ016QQcategoryZ20604QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
which have made my patio a much better crawling space.
I also got some of these in a range of sizes all-in ones (http://waterproofworld.co.uk/regattapuddlesuit.htm) so that they are suitably attired whatever the weather. However I am happier when it's suncream, sunhats and gazebo time!