PDA

View Full Version : need ideas for trays

jaytravis
19-04-2009, 07:05 AM
i brought some deep cat litter trays to do some sort of messy play any ideas what i can use them for
thanks stacey

singlewiththree
19-04-2009, 07:27 AM
I use

sand
water
dried pasta, lentils
rainbow rice
gloop
bark
stones
shaving foam - but never tried it myself

misst104
19-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Put white paper in the bottom and have 4 colours of paint in shallow pots and put a marble into each colour, then into the tray and move around to make marble paint patterns (depending on ages of children of course!). My boys also like using toy cars in paint to make track pictures with the wheels.

xxx

RainbowMum
19-04-2009, 08:17 AM
:) I am currently growing some carrot tops to be pretend trees, then I am going to make a dino world, use a small tinfoil tray for a lake, put in a layer of gravel, in one corner I shall make a hill up withsome kitchen paper and on this I will grow cress, add some large twigs for logs and larger pebbles for boulders, will prob try & do a volcano too - add toy dino's & hey presto!

FizzysFriends
19-04-2009, 08:33 AM
The little ones loved the shaving foam last week, the older ones were very silly with it :angry:

avril
19-04-2009, 08:52 AM
As mentioned about dried pasta then next step cooked pasta to feel the difference in texture.
Gelli baff - I love this stuff more than the children I think :laughing:
Have you tried whisking pure soap flakes and water it goes like marshmallow but can be molded and dries hard! Gradually add water and whisk until like marshmallow. Think it is usually called snowdough.

sweets
19-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Does anyone know if rainbow rice can be stored and re-used, or do you make fresh each time?

helenlc
25-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I store my rainbow rice in a lidded under bed storage box. It has been fine for a few weeks now. Going to change it to colour pasta soon.

I did a messy play session in the week at my childrens centre and they used instant mash potato (let go cold obviously). The kids really enjoyed it and were able to put it in moulds and squish it with their hands. They put paint in also to make different colours.

Homebase do coloured sand, so maybe buy some and put a bit of each colour in.

miffy
30-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Jelly
Spaghetti (cooked)
Noodles (cooked)
Porridge oats
Tinned peaches

Miffy xx

PaulaR
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
what are pure soap flakes?
Have tried gelli baff which the kids loved and shaving foam which they loved aswell.
Mine also like dried pasta if I don't get it out too often but it wou;ld never stay in a tray they spread it all over the floor but I don't mind. It cleans up easy enough

helenlc
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
what are pure soap flakes?

You can buy them in Wilkinsons and Tesco. They are like a grated soap bar. You can alter the consistency by adding more or less water.

Check out this link - its got some great ideas:

http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/kidsfun.html

I have some in my cupboard but havent done any yet!!:blush:

Nix
03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Ermmm...what's gelli baff??:D

HENNY
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Golf balls are good for rolling in paint particularly with little ones who might put marbles in their mouths.:) :) :)

Toothfairy
25-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Another great idea to add to my 'to do' list!!! :thumbsup:

butterfly
25-05-2009, 10:45 AM
heinz big soup
custard powder and then let them mix it
gelli baff
rice
pasta
toothpaste
sand dry and wet
water
water with bubble bath with dolls clothes or washing up to do
water with coloured oil
lentils
shaving foam
squirty cream
noodles
wet spaghetti
bark
stones
natural items like leaves pinecones etc
paper mache
soil
ice
ice and water
ice with items frozen in it
fake snow (available in a can!)
bean bag filler (nightmare to clean up though and you find the balls for weeks!)

i'll keep thinking!

christine e
26-05-2009, 07:37 AM
heinz big soup
custard powder and then let them mix it
gelli baff
rice
pasta
toothpaste
sand dry and wet
water
water with bubble bath with dolls clothes or washing up to do
water with coloured oil
lentils
shaving foam
squirty cream
noodles
wet spaghetti
bark
stones
natural items like leaves pinecones etc
paper mache
soil
ice
ice and water
ice with items frozen in it
fake snow (available in a can!)
bean bag filler (nightmare to clean up though and you find the balls for weeks!)

i'll keep thinking!

Sorry is I repeat any of the above

cornflour and water

cornflakes

tinned tapioca pudding (looks like frog spawn so great for playing with plastic frogs in)

baked beans

prawn crackers

shredded paper

jelly

Cx