PDA

View Full Version : Starting Points

Pedagog
18-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Okay having a a complete brain dead moment.

Am I supposed to do some sort of starting points assessment when a new little one starts?

If so what am I supposed to do?

Thank you in advance

sarah707
18-04-2009, 01:22 PM
You need to talk to parents / child / other settings / other professionals...

Put all this info together to help you build up a picture of the child.

Ask parents to fill in an 'all about me' form for the child asking questions as wide ranging as dietary requirements to family pets, so you get a good idea of what makes the child and the child's family tick.

There's a sample one in free downloads at the top of the forum - posted by Angel I think.

Then over the child's first few sessions with you, link the info and obs to the Eyfs ages and stages and work out how the child is learning / schemas / styles / interests etc.

Go back to the parents with all this information and make sure you are working on the right lines... then move forward with planning for the individual child and next steps.

Phew! How to condense an e-book in a few paragraphs :laughing:

Hope it all makes sense ! :D

Pedagog
18-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Sarah, that's pretty much what I have down already, just wanted to make sure.

misst104
18-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Fab information from Sarah as always. Thanks Sarah. Really helpful :thumbsup:

xxx

singlewiththree
18-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks Sarah I'm just missing the going back to the parents bit. Think I might have to do a brief report as I got carried away doing my starting points, get the parents to sign and comment and then put that in and I thought I had finished with paperwork for the day

Moominmomma
18-04-2009, 07:51 PM
OK how to I get to the all about me booklet? can't seem to find it on the downloads!

Moominmomma
18-04-2009, 07:55 PM
is it the Early years passport?

TheBTeam
18-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, i have just looked at it too, i am not going to bother with the hole lot, but i do like the chat wheel, the one page sheet that you can collect a lot of child/family background on.