PDA

View Full Version : Retainer question-advice needed quick please!

Millievanilli
16-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi there,
have got my first 'visit' from a parent tomorrow, she's looking for childcare in September for her 1 year old for 2 and a half days a week. If she decides to choose me, am wondering if I should charge a retainer over the summer. The thing is, i haven't exactly been inundated with enquiries since registering in December (zero to be precise) and have only got my own 3 year old at the moment, so it seems unlikely that things will have changed much by September. Also, I worked out that if I charged 50% of my fees until then it would work out at roughly a grand! Obviously that would be great for me but I doubt that she will want to fork out that amount. I guess the other option would be to charge a refundable deposit? Any advice please?

Millievanilli
16-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Have just seen a message on here that is very similar so have got a bit more of an idea now but would still like to hear any thoughts!

Daftbat
16-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I would normally take a deposit rather than a retainer. I do retainers when a place needs to be kept open after a child has already started but it depends on each situation.

singlewiththree
16-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I've taken a deposit for a September starter, usually a weeks money but I have agreed £50 which is 1/3 of their weekly cost but in the long run it should be a better contract.

rickysmiths
16-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I take a four weeks fee deposit when the contract is signed and keep it until the end of the contract, if all fees are up to date then it is used to pay the four weeks notice. It also means I have some money in hand if there are any payment problems.

Millievanilli
17-04-2009, 04:40 PM
That's a good idea Ricky, the woman cancelled this morning though, I was all worked up for nothing. She said that they'll come round in a few weeks instead but am not sure if she was just fobbing me off.