PDA

View Full Version : Spelling!

rickysmiths
15-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I have thought about putting a thread on about this for a while. Someone else did a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find the thread.

Come on ladies and gents, we are supposed to be projecting a professional face.

I know sometimes when we start a thread we are passionate about the topic or tired of fed up.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing daft spelling mistakes, split words and no paragraphs. That makes things quite difficult to read.

One of the advantages of the computer is that there are spell checkers, the other thread mentioned Google Spell Checker which allows spell checking on Forums like this and when you build some web sites. I don't know about that one, maybe someone who has used it could comment and explain how we would make use of it?

I'm not expecting us all to be perfect, we are human! But lets all try.:D

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Sorry I do not agree

I really do hate bad grammer and I dislike spelling mistakes like you but .........

But I do enough paper work and always make sure that is ok I do not want to worry about things like that here

Also some members find it difficult to express themselves so it makes them feel uncomfortable if they have to get it all correct here and if we are constantly watching them

When I come into the forum I want to relax with my friends and not have to worry about things like that

I do understand where you are coming from and I do see your point but I do not think it is that important - not in the forum anyway

Sorry if I make mistakes you are going to just have to put up with them :laughing:

Angel xxx

aly
15-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I agree with Angel...I actually sent her a pm and reading her reply I see my mistakes there :blush::blush: my fault for not spellchecking but when you are busy sometimes you dont get time etc.

I do try and sometimes there are obvious mistakes which I will correct but sometimes I type too fast and get my 'gn' the wrong way around..as in thinking sometimes i put thinkign etc

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I agree with Angel...I actually sent her a pm and reading her reply I see my mistakes there :blush::blush: my fault for not spellchecking but when you are busy sometimes you dont get time etc.

I do try and sometimes there are obvious mistakes which I will correct but sometimes I type too fast and get my 'gn' the wrong way around..as in thinking sometimes i put thinkign etc

I bet I made mistakes also

Whats a few mistakes between friends

There are more important things to worry about I think

Angel xx

littlesprogs
15-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I dont agree i dont always check my spelling either.

However there is one person on here who spells everything wrong to the point where i cant make out what the hell shes going on about. So i've stopped reading her threads now i know i wont be able to help her because i know i wont be able to understand it! I dont think shes posted for a while now anyway.

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 10:12 AM

However there is one person on here who spells everything wrong to the point where i cant make out what the hell shes going on about. So i've stopped reading her threads now i know i wont be able to help her because i know i wont be able to understand it! I dont think shes posted for a while now anyway.

Hey hope it is not me :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

xxx

sue m
15-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I can spell ok but I do type really fast so tend to get my letters the wrong way round sometimes but I agree to Angel, we know what we're talking about and it's only between us. I am a member of a forum for the alzheimer's society and I don't feel like posting because a lot of the people on there express themselves very well and it makes me feel a bit inferior so I don't want to show myself up. We don't want this forum being like that. :thumbsup:

Mouse
15-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I do like good grammar, but don't feel you can tell people they must use it.

I do find some posts really hard to read when there is text-talk, no punctuation, no paragraphs etc. I've read some posts over & over, but just can't make sense of them. Other people obviously manage to as they reply, so I figure it's just me being dim! If I really can't understand it, I move onto the next post.

But, I am the world's worst speller and couldn't be bothered spell checking every post I make on a forum. As long as people can see what I'm trying to say, I'm happy!

And I'm aware that some people may not be able to make clear posts. I have several deaf friends who type as they speak - odd words, grammar etc. If I'm struggling to read a post I do consider that the poster may have dyslexia, not have english as a first language etc. I don't just assume they can't be bothered.

littlesprogs
Hey hope it is not me :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

xxx

I did say i dont think she posts anymore and theres no chance of you ever stopping posting lol

angeldelight
I did say i dont think she posts anymore and theres no chance of you ever stopping posting lol

Cheeky haha

Angel xx

tinkerbelle
15-04-2009, 10:19 AM
before you comment on anyone else's spelling you should check you're own you have clearly written 'of fed up' which should state 'or fed up' :rolleyes:

i am with you angel on this one, i thought this forum was a place for minder's to come and relax and chat, i didn't realise my writing was going to be criticised and marked, neither did i think any of you minders would think i was less proffessional than anyone else on here if i had a few grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.

some of us may have problems with writing like dyslexia do you realise how a statment like this could make them feel

i welcome any input from anyone, if it takes longer to read then so what at least they have made the effort to have their say instead of feeling they can't because they can not write clearly.

rickysmiths
15-04-2009, 10:30 AM
before you comment on anyone else's spelling you should check you're own you have clearly written 'of fed up' which should state 'or fed up' :rolleyes:

i am with you angel on this one, i thought this forum was a place for minder's to come and relax and chat, i didn't realise my writing was going to be criticised and marked, neither did i think any of you minders would think i was less proffessional than anyone else on here if i had a few grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.

some of us may have problems with writing like dyslexia do you realise how a statment like this could make them feel

i welcome any input from anyone, if it takes longer to read then so what at least they have made the effort to have their say instead of feeling they can't because they can not write clearly.

I stand corrected.!!:blush:

I did say we are not all perfect and nor would I expect that, I agree we come on here for many reasons. However several people have sited the exact reasons why I posted this! It is a shame surely that any of us feel unable to read a thread because it is difficult to read?

sarah707
15-04-2009, 10:42 AM
This is hopefully an inclusive forum where everyone is welcome.

That includes people who have English as a second language and those who have conditions such as dyslexia etc. I have had a lot of help from both French and Spanish members of our forum ... and I am sure there are others here from abroad.

We also have members from all different walks of life with many different educational backgrounds and qualifications / educational levels and of different ages including some for whom computers are scary places.

Personally I often pop on here for a few minutes at a time and quickly answer a few threads without going back to check my spelling or punctuation so I make a good few mistakes.

I suggest a compromise here...

If any members are unhappy to read posts by those who cannot type as they expect or posts they find difficult to read for whatever reason, that they simply move on to others.

There are many other members who will answer :D

LOOPYLISA
15-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I feel a bit upset by your thread, ok what if some of us members are dyslexic?
Im not by but hubby is and many more out there nowadays, does it really matter?, we come on here to chill, relax etc, if someone doesn.t understand posts im sure they would ask again what we mean......

Sorry to be so blunt but there was also a thread started a while ago, think you mentioned it, that also upset me...........

Blackhorse
15-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I think you have a point if you refer to people's homepages (still need to get mine checked)
I like to see homepages without spelling mistakes etc and the same applies to policies etc that you use for your business, but I believe the forum is different as people have said above....
I wouldn't want to do a spell check on all the posts I am writing to be honest.

you could be tired or upset with something and you just want to get out and I am sure everyone is trying their best when they are writing to ensure other's can read the posts...after all you want to get answers to them

Also, english is not my first language and I am conscious that maybe I get the odd word wrong or make mistakes with my grammar, but I dare anyone to post in german (or any other foreign language!!!) :jump for joy:

LittleMissSparkles
15-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I have thought about putting a thread on about this for a while. Someone else did a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find the thread.

I know sometimes when we start a thread we are passionate about the topic or tired of fed up.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing daft spelling mistakes, split words and no paragraphs. That makes things quite difficult to read.

One of the advantages of the computer is that there are spell checkers, the other thread mentioned Google Spell Checker which allows spell checking on Forums like this and when you build some web sites. I don't know about that one, maybe someone who has used it could comment and explain how we would make use of it?

I find this post quite abrupt hunnie, you maybe didnt mean it to come across that way but it has to me in my opinion. This is a forum to come and chat, chill out and relax and get help if needed not to be policed for spelling and grammar. If I am one of the people who you are getting tired of then please feel free to skip my threads and posts as I dont have the time or inclination to copy read all my posts

Pauline
15-04-2009, 11:58 AM
i thought this forum was a place for minder's to come and relax and chat,

It is and always will be Tinks :thumbsup:

I suppose the things is Rickysmiths, everyone will have something they don't like about a Forum whether this one or any other.

I've had people tell me that they don't like some members because they are too direct and harsh in their replies but it's not something that they have posted about, they might talk about it privately but not put a thread saying it out right because of upsetting them. Sometimes we just have to accept that there will be things we do and don't like.

I agree with Sarah, this is an inclusive Forum, and there are members who have dyslexia etc. or who do not have English as their first language and they bring so much to the Forum I would not like them to feel they should not come and post just because their grammar is not perfect.

LOOPYLISA
15-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Thankyou Pauline and Sarah x

Winnie
15-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm glad thats sorted :D counldnt be doing with checking my spelling and grammer every time i want to post- it would take too long to correct my spelling:eek: and grammer!!! i've never understood what constitutes good/bad grammer :blush: ......but i get by, and i think you should all be able to understand me...if not...well you are welcome to ignore me :D

littlestar
15-04-2009, 01:29 PM
:blush: i have dyslexia and have had since i dropped out of school thinking i was a bit stupid then i got diagnosed last yr and have been doing courses to make this better i never thought about this being an issue and now i am triple checking everything i put in-case i cant spell it I'm very sorry if people have trouble reading my posts :( i will try a bit more to make it easier to read :)

tinkerbelle
15-04-2009, 01:34 PM
:blush: i have dyslexia and have had since i dropped out of school thinking i was a bit stupid then i got diagnosed last yr and have been doing courses to make this better i never thought about this being an issue and now i am triple checking everything i put in-case i cant spell it I'm very sorry if people have trouble reading my posts :( i will try a bit more to make it easier to read :)

you carry on as you are littlestar ill still read your threads and posts i value the opinion of every member regardless of them having degrees in english or not :thumbsup:

misst104
15-04-2009, 01:37 PM
you carry on as you are littlestar ill still read your threads and posts i value the opinion of every member regardless of them having degrees in english or not :thumbsup:

I agree with tinkerbelle. You shouldn't be blushing about having dyslexia. You should be proud that you are doing your courses and getting self-help. Don't feel bad :)

ruby
15-04-2009, 02:05 PM
oh little star don't worry about your spelling etc. just carry on as you are .
i have 3 nieces who have dyslexia and know how difficult it can be .

i knowi don''t post a lot lately but i do try to read the posts and was upset by this one so had to reply.

i am not the best at saying what i mean so i think this stops me from replying but if i had to keep checking my grammer i don't think i would be replying at all.

cathy

jellytot
15-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I dont have any wise or powerful words on this thread only to say how it seems to be upsetting people, which seems unfair as we all come here for suport ( oh I dont know if that is spelt right LOL) not to feel worse about ourselves.

sarah707
15-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I dont have any wise or powerful words on this thread only to say how it seems to be upsetting people, which seems unfair as we all come here for suport ( oh I dont know if that is spelt right LOL) not to feel worse about ourselves.

I think that is a very wise and powerful statement x

Littlestar you are a valued member of this forum and always will be. :D

Demonjill
15-04-2009, 03:51 PM
There were many things that drew me to this forum was the fact it was somewhere we could all come to chill out, get something off our chest, ask a question,answer a question, help someone ,be helped etc
I for one dont want to have to check everything over and over and dot my i's and cross the t's. No one has ever annoyed me with hard to read posts( may get bit more difficult after a wee glass or two lol)
After all if you are talking face to face with someone you dont use the queens english and speak all posh or not use slang etc.so not going to even try to "talk"proper on here. lol:D

mandy moo
15-04-2009, 03:52 PM
How long has the spell checker been there anyway?
I've noticed it for the first time reading this thread:blush:

Blaze
15-04-2009, 04:17 PM
For some reason my computer rejects the spell checker...personally I don't care now...as long as you get the gist! As far as reading posts go...I've learnt the abreviations...but really struggle with text speak!!!! I personally think that everyone is valued regardless of spelling/grammar...we are inclusive...always have been, always will!:laughing: :thumbsup:

PS...just re-read my post & I'd put smelling!:laughing:

PPS...I have never has soo many spelling mistakes in a post...must be pyschological!:rolleyes:

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 04:18 PM
PS...just re-read my post & I'd put smelling!:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Silly sausage

xxxx

flora
15-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Golly, if I have to check all my post I better give up now :blush:

I often pop on whilst doing other things or at the end of the day when I want to chill and relax.

If you can't make a few mistakes, have a laugh and chill with your imaginary friends then where can you go?

I agree with your sentiments re homepages etc as I would want someone to point it out to me if I had overlooked it.....

But here is a very special place.

Here, normal rules don't apply.

Here on the forum it's a haven from the rest of the barmy old world and so I say vive la difference :thumbsup:

ps if you don't like some posts then don't read them, no one is making you :thumbsup:

Hebs
15-04-2009, 05:59 PM
spelling mistakes don't bother me but a post that is all text speak just annoys me

my step sis texts like this i just delete them :laughing:

:thumbsup:

misst104
15-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Golly, if I have to check all my post I better give up now :blush:

I often pop on whilst doing other things or at the end of the day when I want to chill and relax.

If you can't make a few mistakes, have a laugh and chill with your imaginary friends then where can you go?

I agree with your sentiments re homepages etc as I would want someone to point it out to me if I has overlooked it.....

But here is a very special place.

Here, normal rules don't apply.

Here on the forum it's a haven from the rest of the barmy old world and so I say vive la difference :thumbsup:

ps if you don't like some posts then don't read them, no one is making you :thumbsup:

IMAGINARY FRIENDS - Dont tell me you guys are not real. I can't cope! Am still getting over Santa, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy :)

xxx

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 06:01 PM
we're all Virtual:laughing: :laughing:

Pauline
15-04-2009, 06:02 PM
How long has the spell checker been there anyway?
I've noticed it for the first time reading this thread:blush:

It's always been there mandy :laughing:

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 06:02 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I PROMISE I AM REAL

XX

Hebs
15-04-2009, 06:03 PM
IMAGINARY FRIENDS - Dont tell me you guys are not real. I can't cope! Am still getting over Santa, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy :)

xxx

i'm a real boy :laughing: well girl

been watching pinocchio :thumbsup:

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 06:04 PM
i'm a real boy :laughing: well girl

been watching pinocchio :thumbsup:

:laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Mmmm so which icon is the spell checker been over em all but cant seem to find it:blush: :blush:

Bananabrain
15-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Ooh, blimey.

I was going to put my two pennyworth in but I've changed my mind now.

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I still cant find the spell checker:panic: :panic:

huggableshelly
15-04-2009, 06:40 PM

most likely me but still I know I'm a bad speller its who i am and yes I could use firefox spellchecker but for some reason firefox keeps crashing when i submit so pointless typing only to have to redo it all.

littlesprogs
15-04-2009, 06:47 PM
most likely me but still I know I'm a bad speller its who i am and yes I could use firefox spellchecker but for some reason firefox keeps crashing when i submit so pointless typing only to have to redo it all.

No its not you. This person hasnt posted in a long time and i'm not even sure if shes still a member. I've never had a problem reading any of your posts.

This certain person used to spell every single word wrong and made it impossible to make out a post especially since there was no punctuation either.

emler
15-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I've never noticed a spell checker either :blush:

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Im still looking for it, so if i spell anything wrong its not my fault:laughing: :laughing:

Pauline
15-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Im still looking for it, so if i spell anything wrong its not my fault:laughing: :laughing:

Perhaps I'm wrong, I assumed the spell check was part of vBulletin, but perhaps it is Firefox that underlines all the words that it thinks might be wrong as I type my posts! :huh:

flora
15-04-2009, 07:02 PM

xxx

Imaginary friends is what my hubbie calls you all :D

Blackhorse
I just found the spell checker..

go to reply to a thread... and you see on your right all the smileys :) :( :mad:

just above them are a few more signs..one says ABC and it is the spell checker!!

never knew it was there!

ORKSIE
Perhaps I'm wrong, I assumed the spell check was part of vBulletin, but perhaps it is Firefox that underlines all the words that it thinks might be wrong as I type my posts! :huh:

Mmmm maybe Pauline, just glad i not going mad:)

FussyElmo
15-04-2009, 07:03 PM

I cant find it neither:) Oops now I have above the smiles:clapping:

Blackhorse
15-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Imaginary friends is what my hubbie calls you all :D

:clapping: :laughing: :clapping: :laughing:

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 07:06 PM

go to reply to a thread... and you see on your right all the smileys :) :( :mad:

just above them are a few more signs..one says ABC and it is the spell checker!!

never knew it was there!

:huh: I dont have that :crying:

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Sorry but you are making me laugh my head off

ha ha

Angel xx

Pauline
15-04-2009, 07:08 PM

It might depend on which "message editor interface" you have chosen in your profile :)

This is what it says for them: Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

Blackhorse

:eek: :eek:

ORKSIE
Its not funny Angel, I really dont have one:laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Its not funny Angel, I really dont have one:laughing: :laughing:

I actually thought you were joking you know

Now I am laughing at myself

But think Pauline might have explained it now ?

xxx

Blackhorse
15-04-2009, 07:10 PM

since you don't have a spell checker of your own, I found something to cheer you up!!

Ode to spell checkers
ODE TO A SPELL CHECKER
by Jerrold H Zar

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too be a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid to wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
it does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 07:11 PM
That is funny

Brilliant

xxxxx

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I actually thought you were joking you know

Now I am laughing at myself

But think Pauline might have explained it now ?

xxx

Well just looked on the Lap Top and they there but its not on the PC. Come and see:laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Well just looked on the Lap Top and they there but its not on the PC. Come and see:laughing: :laughing:

On my way ha ha

Hope you have tea on im hungry too

:clapping: :clapping:

xxxx

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Thats very clever:laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 07:14 PM
On my way ha ha

Hope you have tea on im hungry too

xxxx

Havin chinese and some vino tonight:)

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Havin chinese and some vino tonight:)

Chinese will do

I am def on my way

Angel xx

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 07:20 PM
OK:laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
15-04-2009, 07:32 PM
OK:laughing: :laughing:

Can I invite Paul and Enrique ?

ha ha

xx

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Definatelty, the more the merrier:thumbsup:

Pauline
15-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Brilliant poem Nicole I love it! :laughing:

busylizzie
15-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Im not digging at you Rickysmith as I dont think you meant to offend anyone but just for my opinion I dont take any notice of the spelling in a post, I just read the content and either get an awful lot of useful information from it or support and Ive personally never read a post that i cant understand.

Some of us can spell, some cant quite so well or just are being relaxed and not re reading our posts(like I dont very often)..............but weve all got something in common and something to offer.Thats why I come here.No offence to anyone :)

breezy
15-04-2009, 08:23 PM
We're all friend and we're all different, lets just get on because in the grand scheme of things forum spelling mistakes dont matter friendship and support do :)

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 08:23 PM
We're all friend and we're all different, lets just get on because in the grand scheme of things forum spelling mistakes dont matter friendship and support do :)

huggableshelly
15-04-2009, 08:36 PM
spelling mistakes don't bother me but a post that is all text speak just annoys me

my step sis texts like this i just delete them :laughing:

:thumbsup:

errr oops!

TheBTeam
15-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I have just typed a well written and well spelt reply to this, and the computer lost it on updating!:angry: :censored:

The gist was, i am lucky I can spell and have reasonably good grammar, finding it hard to use anything but, however, my dh (reg cm also) has appalling spelling and grammar, this does not make him any less capable of caring for children, planning and keeping them safe and well occupied to a high standard.

I think that any parent who chooses to make a judgement on a childminders suitability to care for their child simply by their posts on a forum, that is intended as source of support, fun and light-heartedness for us at the end of(and occasionally during a busy) day, should look honestly at themselves and what they would be like.

We all need to relax and feel comfortable.

I do not like blasphemy and had to ask what LMAO was, (when i found out i LMAO), if I don't understand a post I can choose to clarify or ignore it, just as I can face to face! That is the good thing about here.

That said I was actually quite nervous to hit the button to post this in case I have made a mistake!!! LMAO!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
15-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Yep i totaly agree speling is knot importent on a frendly forum LMAO:laughing: :laughing:

mandy moo
16-04-2009, 07:49 AM
It's always been there mandy :laughing:

ooopps, :)
I just dont recall seeing it before yesterday.
ooh look its there again today..magic!!

angeldelight
16-04-2009, 07:50 AM
ooopps, :)
I just dont recall seeing it before yesterday.
ooh look its there again today..magic!!

xx

Annie_T
16-04-2009, 09:02 AM
i cant spell properly and depending on what im trying to spell wouldnt have a clue the correct spelling as im not a great reader either ... i do try to do my best but paperwork and everyday life in the home is bad enough haha

Bushpig
16-04-2009, 09:26 AM
The only thing I do not enjoy seeing on forums is blasphemy :angry: and swearing :( .

Otherwise, this forum is a creative tool to air your feelings and thoughts with other like-minded people... and any formalisation (having to spell check every post!) should be discouraged imo. The spontaneity of some posts I read are just fabulous and would lose their humour and frivolity were it rewritten 5 times.

Being a graphic designer, plus one who has a decent command of the English language and grammar in general (thanks Latin!), when there is poor grammar/spelling/layout on a menu or on a website, that irritates me as it looks unprofessional.

But not in here... this forum is for chat and banter and it's important everyone feels comfortable, no matter what your first language is/isn't... or how great one's spelling is.

We don't discriminate children with their varying strengths and weaknesses, let's not do it to eachother :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
16-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I have just typed a well written and well spelt reply to this, and the computer lost it on updating!:angry: :censored:

The gist was, i am lucky I can spell and have reasonably good grammar, finding it hard to use anything but, however, my dh (reg cm also) has appalling spelling and grammar, this does not make him any less capable of caring for children, planning and keeping them safe and well occupied to a high standard.

I think that any parent who chooses to make a judgement on a childminders suitability to care for their child simply by their posts on a forum, that is intended as source of support, fun and light-heartedness for us at the end of(and occasionally during a busy) day, should look honestly at themselves and what they would be like.

We all need to relax and feel comfortable.

I do not like blasphemy and had to ask what LMAO was, (when i found out i LMAO), if I don't understand a post I can choose to clarify or ignore it, just as I can face to face! That is the good thing about here.

That said I was actually quite nervous to hit the button to post this in case I have made a mistake!!! LMAO!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

blasphemy ok I had to go look it up now I know what it means and yep it does anoy me too but i know I used the om* a few timesbut meant gosh

anyway I learnt a new word and the meaning .. doubt if i'll remember it let alone know how to spell it if I do ever use it lol

Heaven Scent
16-04-2009, 10:17 AM
The idea behind this thread made me cross and others have aired my feelings so there is not much for me to add except that I feel spell checkers are only useful for people who have some idea of how a word is spelt. In the case of people with difficulties with spelling a spell checker will just look at (not literally) the combination of letters typed in by the person and throw back the nearest possible word - there isn't a person in there reading the context of what is written and choosing the best possible word. One example I can give you is a student of mine writing on childhood illnesses - she was trying to say that Chicken Pox is contagious what she actually wrote was
"Chicken Pox is a cottages disease...." knowing this student she obviously didn't read her work back but she also had difficulty with spelling and possibly wouldn't have ssen the error.

Bushpig
16-04-2009, 10:57 AM
The idea behind this thread made me cross and others have aired my feelings so there is not much for me to add except that I feel spell checkers are only useful for people who have some idea of how a word is spelt. In the case of people with difficulties with spelling a spell checker will just look at (not literally) the combination of letters typed in by the person and throw back the nearest possible word - there isn't a person in there reading the context of what is written and choosing the best possible word. One example I can give you is a student of mine writing on childhood illnesses - she was trying to say that Chicken Pox is contagious what she actually wrote was
"Chicken Pox is a cottages disease...." knowing this student she obviously didn't read her work back but she also had difficulty with spelling and possibly wouldn't have ssen the error.

Good point!

Mollymop
16-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh goodness! Who cares if I dun't speell properrly?!

I type pretty fast and sometimes I foget to read what I have written before I post my reply, but I am sure it makes sense to most people.

Besides this forum is for all, no one should feel under pressure to ensure their spelling and grammar is correct!!

huggableshelly
16-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh goodness! Who cares if I dun't speell properrly?!

I type pretty fast and sometimes I foget to read what I have written before I post my reply, but I am sure it makes sense to most people.

Besides this forum is for all, no one should feel under pressure to ensure their spelling and grammar is correct!!

I read your post as it was meant to be read ... do we gain a certificate to show we can read typonese?

its a language we are all qualified in yet unrecognisable to many others, I'm sure there should be some form of degree to be gained through understanding and reading as its typed rhather than as its sposed to be spelt.

oops there is a typo nope gonna leave it so you lot can work it out giggles

the spell checker doesnt work for me on my BT browser

Firefox throws me out so guess you are ll stuck with either ignoring me or decifering what I mean!

LisaH
16-04-2009, 02:06 PM
I love your poem Nicole!! My DH wants to send it to his niece. He deleted her from facebook because he was fed up of not being able to read a word she said. Everything is in text speak!! It drove him crazy.

She said he needs to 'get down with the kids':laughing:

Pipsqueak
16-04-2009, 02:07 PM
No its not you. This person hasnt posted in a long time and i'm not even sure if shes still a member. I've never had a problem reading any of your posts.

This certain person used to spell every single word wrong and made it impossible to make out a post especially since there was no punctuation either.

I know who you mean Sproggy!!!:)

I appreciate what Ricky has pointed out is a valid opinion but personally I come on here to chill out with mates, have a larrrrffff and catch up. I find out some great info and pointers (spelt right or not) and I don't mind typos and spelling mistakes.
I can't be bothered to check for my spelling mistakes half the time - generally only make them when I am tired out lol (thats how wonderful I am :D ).
My professional documentation and the like is spelling and grammer perfect so I am quite happy with my professional front.
As has been said already there are many people on here - some who may have a condition, English not being a first language etc and I think some tolerance is perhaps needed.

Pauline
16-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Firefox throws me out

Mmmmm what a sensible Firefox :joker:

Amaranth
16-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I have to agree with you all. In general, my spelling & grammar is pretty good and I make sure that all my 'business' paperwork is word perfect, as are any letters & correspondence. (I hope I spelt that right!!!!:laughing: :laughing: )

I too come on the forum and relax, it has never bothered me if people make mistakes on here. I really hope the original post has not put anyone off posting.

By the end of a childminding day it's amazing we can all still have the energy to even type!:laughing: :laughing:

huggableshelly
16-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Mmmmm what a sensible Firefox :joker:

now Pauline .... that wasnt very nice ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

venus89
16-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Our computer is a bit on the slow side - bless it - and has what we endearingly term 'sticky keys', where we type and only about a quarter of the letters actually come out. This is particularly the case in the morning before it's had a chance to wake up properly. It can take 5 minutes to write a couple of sentences and if I'm on this forum then I don't always correct everything. I can see that having spelling mistakes in professional documents can be offputting for some people - my faher was very critical of grammatical and spelling errors - but generally I hope it's our personalities that win us through with the parents.

That said, I do know the person being referred to whose posts were illegible to some of us and - I'm afraid - I also eventually gave up reading them because I couldn't make head nor tail of them at all. I think she gave up childminding in the end?

Gizmo
16-04-2009, 07:09 PM
There was a thread on here last week asking everyone to watch their swearing and that is fine as it was pointed out, parents come on this forum and read the posts, but as for grammer no I think as quite a few have mentioned we come on here for a chat and a wee laugh and to blow off some steam not to remember our full stops. (see I remembered mine 10/10 top of the class for me) :blush:

miss muffit
16-04-2009, 08:46 PM

never knew it was there!

oh no :mad: mine has only an A (switch editor mode)

how do i get an ABC spell checker.... help!

ajs
16-04-2009, 10:04 PM
i have resisted answering this thread as it made me so angry that you would dare to try to tell me how i should write a message to my friends. But in speaking to people today i realise how hurt some of them are by what you have written and one has even told me " I have really been put off posting anything due to that thread, it makes me feel thick and unworthy to reply." she then went on to say that it had knocked her confidence and she wasn't brave enough to reply on the thread for fear of being put down by you.

I am sure Rickysmith that you didn't intend for your op to come across like this but i think you have genuinly upset quite a few members.

carolinel
16-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow, I really don't know what to say that wouldn't cause me to be chucked off the forum!!

peanuts
17-04-2009, 05:46 AM
i was quite put out by th first post. in this day and age with dyxlexia, english not the first language ect everyone is different.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and i hope that no-one stops posting now that this posting has obviously generated a lot of feelings regarding it.

to each their own, if you know of a poster that is difficult to read just bypass it but dont tar us all with the same brush.

Tatia
17-04-2009, 06:04 AM
There was a thread on here last week asking everyone to watch their swearing and that is fine
Good point, Joybells. That thread was, if I remember correctly, written by the owner and administrator of the board so fair dues, she's got a right to boss us about (even though I was one of the culprits who got their knuckles wrapped :p :laughing: :laughing:).

AJS, that's really sad. Nobody should feel anything but valued and supported for their input on this forum. We're here to offer advice, not set ourselves up as know-it-alls.:mad:

mrsbumbles
17-04-2009, 06:32 AM
i have resisted answering this thread as it made me so angry that you would dare to try to tell me how i should write a message to my friends. But in speaking to people today i realise how hurt some of them are by what you have written and one has even told me " I have really been put off posting anything due to that thread, it makes me feel thick and unworthy to reply." she then went on to say that it had knocked her confidence and she wasn't brave enough to reply on the thread for fear of being put down by you.

I am sure Rickysmith that you didn't intend for your op to come across like this but i think you have genuinly upset quite a few members.

Thanks AJS, this is exactly how i feel about this post

My spelling and grammar are not great, but until i read this post i didnt feel people were judging me on my ability to spell.

I have been a member here for 18 mths and no-one has made me feel so insecure.

Pauline
17-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks AJS, this is exactly how i feel about this post

My spelling and grammar are not great, but until i read this post i didnt feel people were judging me on my ability to spell.

I have been a member here for 18 mths and no-one has made me feel so insecure.

The main thing is Mrs.Bumbles is that people are not judging you, it was just one member and reading all the replies not one has agreed with the original post. Everyone is saying that members are welcome here no matter what or how they post, and that is most certainly the case, so you just carry on as you were because you bring so much to the Forum. :thumbsup:

Perhaps if you are reading this Ricksmiths you would like to comment on the responses you have received? I'm sure you didn't intend to upset folks did you? and having looked at some posts lately I see you are guilty of spelling mistakes too - so we are all equal now :)

Blaze
17-04-2009, 10:10 AM

I tried to respond with humour, but now feel very angry that people have been made to feel bad about themselves & been put off posting:angry:

....please everyone, don't let rickysmiths own mistake in posting this thread put you off the forum & posting...everyone is valued & appreciated here...even rickysmith..I am sure she didn't mean any upset & will apologise when she sees this thread (damage done I know, but we all make mistakes)...

Pauline
17-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I am sure she didn't mean any upset & will apologise when she sees this thread (damage done I know, but we all make mistakes)...

Well said Blaze I am sure you are right.

One other thing I meant to say is that I am very proud (as usual) of everyone because this thread has been responded to as sensible adults, no one has resorted to unpleasantness, they have answered politely but to the point and expressed their views with passion.

It is this that makes the Forum so special. Thank you guys! :thumbsup:

Trouble
17-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Some people are dyslexic and all youve done is pointed that out and other people who are bad spellers does it matter.if you cant read a thread because of the way things are spelt DONT READ IT MOVE ON TO ANOTHER:mad:

This is supposed to be a happy, say what you like and within reason forum,:D

if this is all you have to say then i think you seriously need to get a life:panic:

di xx

berkschick
17-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Ouch!

I think you are bang out of order with your post.

Spelling has never been my strong point but to be honest, I didn't really think it mattered all that much on a forum such as this were we are all friends together.

Typos happen all the time, particularly when you are quickly replying to someone whilst 3 or 4 little ones are eating lunch, etc.

My spelling is not good enough for me to write a book but I think I am up to forum standards and I will not be told otherwise!

flora
17-04-2009, 04:21 PM
So Rickysmith, where are you????

I am sure you must have read all of these posts.

Like Pauline says do you have any thoughts ????????

Trouble
17-04-2009, 04:26 PM
So Rickysmith, where are you????

I am sure you must have read all of these posts.

Like Pauline says do you have any thoughts ????????

Nope she is in hiding and so she should she has offended so many people, but hey i have my dictionary to hand if she wants to reply:D

these are Paulines rules maybe she forgot to read this bit:angry: :angry:

I pride myself on the fact that this is a very friendly forum and although we welcome differences of opinion, and varied views, please discuss these in a way that does not become personal or offensive to anyone who disagrees with you.

FizzysFriends
17-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Im in hiding, I confess I can't spell when typing fast :blush:

TheBTeam
17-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I have thought long and hard about whether to post this, whether anyone else will have even noticed, or whether to know, smile and keep quiet, for fear of upsetting anyone.

But if you look at recent posts by rickysmiths, (won't say all because i am not sure that i have read them all) but a good few have had typo's in themselves.

Just goes to show, that we are not all perfect, excuse the terminology, see first post!"

balloon
17-04-2009, 09:21 PM
My spelling is pretty reasonable, and luckily for me so is my grammar. I was one of the lucky ones who received what is probably described as a well rounded education. I admit to being terribly pedantic about things like misuse of apostrophes and wrongful use of who's and whose, their, there and they're, and it's and its on signage, menus etc but on the forum I couldn't give a hoot. This is where I chat with my friends. I accept my friends as they are and hope they accept me as I am...

Personally, whilst I can usually spell reasonably, I cannot type worth toffees. This is especially true when I am rushing whilst a LO sleeps or when I am tired at the end of the day (like now!). My posts would be peppered with typos if I didn't have a built in spellchecker. I never knew it mattered to anybody if I misspelt a word or used an incorrect punctuation mark, now I know it does I make mistake after mistake...

I too, find reading large blocks of unbroken text difficult (bad eyesight), cannot understand text speak (old age) and sometimes have problems understanding what some folk mean (my own stupidity) but I would NEVER EVER take it upon myself to tell other people to pull their socks up and make more of an effort. I don't run this forum so it's not my place...

Typos = 38+
Incorrect capitalisation = 2
Incorrect punctuation = 3 that I noticed...
Words that my spellchecker is telling me are spelt incorrectly but are not = 2 (spellchecker and signage, lol!)

kindredspirits
17-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I think Rickysmiths has definately got the message by now, so whilst my heart is saying 'if you don't like bad spelling don't read the posts' my brain is saying she made the comment it wasn't appreciated or taken on board, but i am fairly certain however thick skinned someone can be she will not have failed to notice she's upset a few people, and is propably fairly upset by that herself - so Rickysmiths, i say to you don't worry - don't worry about other peoples spelling, but also don't worry about an innocently meant post that has got a little out of hand..... water under the bridge i am sure xx

Blaze
17-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Love the bottom bit!:laughing:

Trouble
17-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Its very deep water

but its ok i have my dictionary to keep me afloat:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

her8y
17-04-2009, 09:51 PM
My daughters English teacher said at parents evening....

Its not how she spells a word that matters, it is the content and the fact she can express herself freely and confidently which is important..
Freedom of expression.....Wise Words.:thumbsup: :D

Chatterbox Childcare
17-04-2009, 10:04 PM
For anyone who is a touch typist and I am, it is very hard to notice if something is spelt incorrectly or grammer phrased wrongly. This is because we do not read what we are typing and most of the time my fingers type as fast as my tongue can work (which is quite fast) and mistakes are made.

If I was typing a legal document or similar, it would matter but I think that we can be forgiven if a mistake is made.

Personally I do not understand some of the text shortenings that are used on here but as my son says "you are old mum" so I just glance over them and try and make sense of what is actually written in my old fashioned form of English!!

Do I have to keep up with this lingo? No but I don't complain about it or I really do sound old - better to keep quiet now...

Enough said :littleangel: :littleangel:

wendywu
17-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I remember the member who used to post with quite a few spelling mistakes.

I dont think she belongs now. She used to mind with her mum and they gave up.

I just assumed that she was quite young and maybe suffered from dyslexia as does my eldest DD. But there was no way i would ever have posted a thread about it. She used to make me smile to myself. I could almost hear her saying to her mum when they had a problem " hold on mum i will just ask the girls on the minding forum they will know what to do ":)

I must admit i belong to a holiday forum ( i told you i do love my holidays) and on there we are not allowed to post in text.

Twinkles
18-04-2009, 01:09 PM
My spelling is pretty reasonable, and luckily for me so is my grammar. I was one of the lucky ones who received what is probably described as a well rounded education. I admit to being terribly pedantic about things like misuse of apostrophes and wrongful use of who's and whose, their, there and they're, and it's and its on signage, menus etc but on the forum I couldn't give a hoot. This is where I chat with my friends. I accept my friends as they are and hope they accept me as I am...

[/SIZE]

I couldn't have put it better myself :thumbsup:

Pauline
18-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I think it is time to move on with this, so with that in mind and after having discussed it with my dear mods, I am now locking this thread.

I think we have ascertained what we already knew anyway, that everyone is welcome to post here, no matter what your ability on spelling etc.

I think there has been enough time for Rickysmiths to reply, she has chosen not to which is her perogative.

Let the subject drop as there is no real point in continually bringing it into other threads and posts. Nor is there any point in bearing grudges if you did not agree with the original post.

I did say everyone is welcome here, there are of course two exceptions: Spammers and Trolls/Flamers. If you are either of those you are not welcome.

:)