PDA

View Full Version : petition against the EYFS at Downing Str.

silvana1
07-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Guys
I have already posted a thread about this the other day but on another topic. There is currently a petition against the EYFS which is being led by the Open EYE Campaign. ( Open Early Years Education) It already has over 4.500 signatures and runs till Sep 08. Signaturies include Penelope Leach, Sue Palmer Author of Toxic Childhood and many more Early years professionals.
I hope this helps. The link is http://openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/open-eye-petition/. I hope this helps.
lots of love
ubel1

LittleMissSparkles
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Think someone has already put this link on x

son77
07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look xx

sarah707
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Thank you I will take a look later! :D

Experienced
10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Silv

In support of Sliv and this petition, there are many, many other childminders who are beginning to realise that the imposition of EYFS is a bridge too far when it comes to all aspects of childminding.

Similarly there are now a great many experts and reports which are concluding that there is too much emphasis on "standards" when educating young children and that children in the UK start school too early.

Parents too, will find that with the introduction of EYFS they will have less and less choice when it comes to choosing the type of childcare they want for their children as everyone will be expected to all be doing the same thing.

By Sept 08, all childminders must all have attended numerous courses in their own time and be able to assess, note, monitor and create the environment under which they can all be monitored under 171 headings. If they don't they will in effect be deregistered!

Like schools which have the prime responsibility (after parents) to "educate" children, childminders under EYFS will in effect also be expected to "educate" children in their care to a much higher specified degree than ever before. Schools, however, do not change bottoms, cater for sleeping, undertake spoon or bottle feeding, wipe noses or take children out for walks etc. Similarly teachers do not have regular access to all the parents delivering or collecting their children and yet we as childminders are expected to do all this in addition to the demands of EYFS.

Teachers are trained for three years and paid as such (£20,000+ per annum and rising) most childminders earn less than the minimum wage (36% under £3.00 per hour). Childminders don't get months off for school holidays. Teachers get paid national rates and yet childminders are in direct competition with each other and nurseries etc - whichl keeps the rates they can charge to a minimum
Teachers who gain qualifications in teaching can earn more accordingly whereas a childminders can have a Phd in childcare and have attended every course under the sun but not earn a penny more.

In 2008 childminders will all have to pay more for their registration fees (to pay Ofsted for the work they do) an increase well above the rate of inflation!Similarly all childminders have to pay for their own mandatory First Aid Course every three years.

Parents get tax breaks to pay for childcare but instead of this enabling childminders to earn a decent wage this money remains in the parents pockets enabling them to spend more on other things. Since the introduction of tax breaks for childcare - the hourly rate a childminder can charge has hardly changed at all.

Is it therefore any wonder why childminders in general are suffering from low morale and feel undervalued and depressed about the changes being foisted upon them. Yes there maybe some that are only too pleased to do all that required of them but they probably have husbands who are in effect subsidising their incomes anyway! Spare a thought for the single mums who are childminders - they are the ones who are feeling the pinch in more ways than one.

As a warning to
the Government (whose eduction policies have continuously failed our 5-7 years olds year after year),
Ofsted (who fail to address the needs of individual childminders who lack the necessary individual skills to do the job properly),
the NCMA (who is supposed to represent us and yet does nothing to ensure we gat a decent pay and with its dwindling membership number just pays lip service to anything the Government wants) and
the training establishment (that is dependent upon the childcare sector for their livelihoods and continususly reinvents the wheel to keep themsleves in work)

if you the above want childminding to thrive and develope

stop introducing more and more imposed rubbish like EYFS,

get back to the basics of allowing children to have enjoy their formative years instead of being analysed, scrutinised and monitored all the time,

leave teaching children to the professional teachers, and

start looking at those childminders who aren't getting decent Ofsted reports and arrange for them to attend any necessary courses instead of putting every childminder on them to avoid any possibility of confrontation.

If you don't do these things there won't be any childminders left by 2015 as they will have all become so demoralised, that they will simply give up and find other work where they are appreciated and valued!!!

sarah707
10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
You have made a very interesting and carefully thought out first post on the forum there 'experienced'... thank you and welcome to the forum.

It is interesting that you make many points against the eyfs but do not seem to consider that everyone on this forum is a childminder who will have to use and effectively implement this new piece of legislation come September and 'sell' it to the parents - it is not going to go away and we will not have a choice.

For this reason, we are all keen to offer our members a balanced viewpoint - yes there are certain parts of eyfs which are cumbersome and difficult, but others are excellent for good practice and can be easily embraced by using much of the good practice we already do.

Also, please do not forget to pop into say hello and introduce yourself to our members... :D

deeb66
10-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Hello Experienced and welcome to the forum....

I have just seen that you have posted in the Say Hello section and will pop over there in a minute.

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am afraid that I agree with Sarah on this matter.

We will have no choice but to implement the EYFS and are trying really hard to put a positive swing on it and to help our members take it a piece at a time and work out how best to implement in their settings.

As Sarah says there are some really areas of EYFS that will help us to improve our practice.

silvana1
10-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Experienced

Thank you very much for your very poignant comment. I absolutely agree that we are supposed to take on the work of teachers but at £ 3.00 an hour and in our own home surrounded by our own children and husbands.
I am a single parent myself and I work very hard ( between 40 - 47 hours a week ) It is already a challenge to spend time with my son and to do homework, clubs etc. at the moment.
All my parents are happy with the service they receive, all children have daily diaries until the parents tell me they don't need them anymore. We go to toddler groups, parks, attractions and I provide most of the mindees lunches and snack at a cost of £ 1 to the parents. I am level 3 qualified and I currently undertake my Foundation degree in Early years, I am a network approved childminder and I offer overnight care. There is only so much I can fit in and I feel under pressure as it is. I am not a teacher and I don't feel that this is my job. The children learn from activities we do but this is always through play and through things the children enjoy. Sarah you said we don't have a choice but why not. Why let the government make decisions that are not going to be beneficial to the children we look after. Surely if everyone thought there is no point to voice concerns or to stand up for oneself, dictatorships and other regimes from the past would still thrive now. As it is human nature to stand up for what you believe in. I personally think it is time that childminders that don't agree with the EYFS do just that.
Of course you are entitled to your opinions Sarah, we all are. If you look on the open eye site it does say that the petition is against the compulsory part of the EYFS and that it should be seen as a guideline of practice not the be all and end all. This would not mean that the EYFS would be abolished.
As I am currently doing my degree it is interesting to learn just how damaging formal education is to children that are too young and how we can really stifle their learning through teaching in this way.

I know some people say that the EYFS will get rid of bad childminders but there should not be any of those now anyway as we have OFSTED to deal with them. Of course that means someone at OFSTED doing their job properly, which they don't. I have known of some terrible childminders, some were over their numbers constantly and blatently, some swore and smoked in front of minded children, these were all reported, the first ones complaint which was justified never even got put on the report, the second one has a complaint on her record but still has not changed and OFSTED know about it.
OFSTED needs to take responsibilty for it's own actions at times and not blame childcare providers for bad standards, if these childminders were rooted out early enough children would not be put in danger :angry:

Sorry to rant I just had to get it of my chest.

deeb66
10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi

Thank you for your comments on EYFS.

Although many of agree with what you and Experienced say in principal we are trying really hard to support all our members during this difficult transition.

I believe that we cannot stop EYFS and must therefore try to help and support each other in trying to adapt.

I appreciate your opinions but have noticed that both you and Experienced have joined quite a few forums and have only posted about the EYFS and about the increase in fees.

We are more than happy to listen and respect your opinions as we would with anyone but would ask that you join in with us and not just use our forum for your own agenda's.

Why not pop into the Say Hello section and tell us a little about yourself.

sarah707
10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Sarah you said we don't have a choice but why not. Why let the government make decisions that are not going to be beneficial to the children we look after. Surely if everyone thought there is no point to voice concerns or to stand up for oneself, dictatorships and other regimes from the past would still thrive now.

I do not for one minute believe we live in a dictatorship or a 'regime'. I think this is one of the most civilised countries in the world and I am proud to be British. I think that the Govt is very concerned about our children's health and eductation and wants to promote the best outcomes for every single child, following the Every Child Matters Agenda. They feel this will be achieved through EYFS... mistakes have been made in the past and they are trying to address them. I am more than happy to run with it and see where it leads. I actually find a new curriculum exciting as, if used properly, it will support and enhance every child's learning journey.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions Sarah, we all are. If you look on the open eye site it does say that the petition is against the compulsory part of the EYFS and that it should be seen as a guideline of practice not the be all and end all. This would not mean that the EYFS would be abolished.

I do not understand what you are frightened about here. Yes, certain parts of EYFS will be law, but much of it will be guidance.

There is very little of the full EYFS that is actually in law - just the Statutory Framework part ie the goals for the end of the EYFS and the newly worded Standards. I imagine you have a problem with the learning goals.. yet these are very similar to the Foundation stage goals which we have all be aiming towards and supporting children to achieve since 2000! Very little has actually changed except some wording issues.

As I am currently doing my degree it is interesting to learn just how damaging formal education is to children that are too young and how we can really stifle their learning through teaching in this way.

Which degree are you undertaking? I am currently doing my E123 and E124 with the Open University. I also have a BA (hons) Education and Audiology, NVQ3 Early Years, Childcare and Education and many other bits and bobs I've picked up over the years.

It is interesting to note how childcare theories have changed over the years. If you look back to when we were at school, then another generation ago, many many theories about the best way to care for children have come full circle. In fact there is an interesting thread on this subject on the forum. We were considering what changes had been made to make education similar to when we were at school - I was researching for something I was writing.

It is clear that 'experts' are not always right and that theories do change with the direction of the wind, especially in the field of childcare.

I am looking forward to embracing the new EYFS and excited about making it work. I am also committed to supporting our members in making it work for them. I feel this is a much better route to take than tilting at windmills.

Talk soon :D

silvana1
10-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi

I don't think we live in a dictatorship, the point I was making is that people who live in a free speech society such as ours can voice their concerns if they have any.
I feel that the EYFS is a better idea than the b23 and foundation stage which we are currently using and I also like the fact all the standards etc. are in one place, however it is the extra paperwork for childminders, which will be similiar to nurseries which concerns me. Paperwork such as detailed planning, observations and linking all of this to the framework.
Other childminders I know on my network are also very concerned about the paperwork side of things. Some of the childminders on my network have been minding for over 20 years and most are graded good - outstanding.
If it was guidance for good practice as the b 2 3 etc. is at the moment which I use and refer to when I think of activities for my minded children. I don't alway write this down as a lot of activities depend on what the children want to do and the weather etc.
Our group rep has been to a EYFS meeting especially for group reps the other evening and they told them that we will need to do A4 size sheets of planning.
They may have been wrong as with lots of training at the moment no one really knows what is going to happen or what is expected of us.
I have spent a total of 10 hours on training courses so far regarding the EYFS and about 4 hours of that was wasted time as the training focused on large settings, the tutor was rude and constantly contradicted herself and it was only when our childminding coordinator took on the role of training that we got somewhere. This is another factor that concerns me, that the training needs to be sorted out so it can be more specific and relevant to childminders

You asked what degree I am working on at the moment
I am doing the foundation degree and I am currently halfway through E124 and have completed E123. I am hoping to progress to a BA once I have done the foundation degree but I have to see how I go, because of other responsibilities .
I did my NVQ 3 early years care and education about 2 years ago. I am also on various short courses and conferences like yourself.

Like I have said, not all is bad but childminders have a right to know about petitions and the like and it is up to them whether they sign it or not.

sarah707
11-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Like I have said, not all is bad but childminders have a right to know about petitions and the like and it is up to them whether they sign it or not.

You are absolutely right!

That is why we put the link to the petitions website on the forum some time ago... and a member posted a sample letter against the rise in annual Ofsted fees - and other members gave suggestions for how to reply to the Ofsted consultation about EYFS - and we had details posted for members to argue against Ofsted publishing our personal addresses on their website... all of which are viewable in past posts.

We then left it up to our members to discuss, carefully consider and make their reply, should they wish.

We are not in the business of scaremongering on this forum and I feel it is a mistake to underestimate the intelligence of our members. They can work out the right thing to do without a diatribe from someone they do not know (I am not necessarily referring to your post alone here).

We need to work out how to support each other through the EYFS and again I agree with you about the paperwork - it will get totally out of hand if we are not careful, which is why we are spending time discussing how to best plan and assess and observe. There is plenty of time between now and September.

As you have been on such a lot of training, I imagine you will be able to input ideas as we have our discussions. Sadly training in Cheshire was cancelled due to lack of interest. :D

Pauline
19-02-2008, 09:56 PM
By Sept 08, all childminders must all have attended numerous courses in their own time and be able to assess, note, monitor and create the environment under which they can all be monitored under 171 headings. If they don't they will in effect be deregistered!

And just what are these 'numerous courses'?

From what I'm hearing and from reading the EYFS pack the majority of us can all fit what we do now into the new system without too much trouble, especially if you have been keeping up to date with the various changes within childminding as they have come in over the past years. Those who are new to childminding will get support and guidance through training. Much of what is required through the EYFS will not need to be done by childminders if the children attend pre-school sessions or nursery education.

Tatia
20-02-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd just like to add, to whoever posted their concern that young kids are being over-educated these days, not to forget that the main emphasis of the EYFS is on child-led learning through play. Our job is to watch, jot down a few notes and then decide what, based upon the child's rising skill or interests, we should offer for them next. It ain't brain surgery, really. Most people who offer a quality service are already doing this, just maybe not writing it all down.

Pauline
20-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd just like to add, to whoever posted their concern that young kids are being over-educated these days, not to forget that the main emphasis of the EYFS is on child-led learning through play. Our job is to watch, jot down a few notes and then decide what, based upon the child's rising skill or interests, we should offer for them next. It ain't brain surgery, really. Most people who offer a quality service are already doing this, just maybe not writing it all down.

Yep you've got it in one! :) Some people are panicking when in fact they are doing everything already, it perhaps just needs recording in a slightly different way and 'bob's your uncle'!

It's all about ensuring the children are being offered the opportunities to learn as they play.

:)

ma7ie
20-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

To me, the EYFS seems much simpler than the old way. Everything's all in one pack. The Practice Guidance for the EYFS has all the information you need to make observations and plan on the six areas of learning and development.

I bought some of sarahev's paperwork and it's just all fallen into place. I make a few observations a week (don't write much), a couple of photos and put some of the child's work into their file.

It only takes about 10 minutes extra a day.

I've also tweaked a few of my policies, but not much.

My network co-ordinator seems to think that I'm doing plenty and has no problems, so with a bit of luck, so will Ofsted.

This is just my opinion and I don't want to upset anybody.

Marie x

Pauline
20-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I agree, instead of having the national standards plus B23, we now have it all in one.

sarah707
20-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I disliked Birth to 3 with a passion! I'm a much happier bunny too! :D

nell57
20-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

To me, the EYFS seems much simpler than the old way. Everything's all in one pack. The Practice Guidance for the EYFS has all the information you need to make observations and plan on the six areas of learning and development.

I bought some of sarahev's paperwork and it's just all fallen into place. I make a few observations a week (don't write much), a couple of photos and put some of the child's work into their file.

It only takes about 10 minutes extra a day.

I've also tweaked a few of my policies, but not much.

My network co-ordinator seems to think that I'm doing plenty and has no problems, so with a bit of luck, so will Ofsted.

This is just my opinion and I don't want to upset anybody.

Marie x

Well said Marie

I have been thinking the same for a while. I'm not saying i know, understand or agree to everything about EYFS, but willing to give it a go.

Helen

Lou
20-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree, i think the fuss has been because EYFS is not optional we all have to follow it.

But as has been said i know for one i always have been, i just need to brush up on my paperwork.

And to be fair anything that highlights our professional status is ok by me!!

Tiisku
29-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I have been miding for a month, and spent the time getting used to the job really and doing all the every day stuff with the children such as different artwork, free play, outdoor play, walks to the park, attending play groups, cooking, reading, singing.. Even learning letters from street signs as we walk along.
Now that I have read about the EYFS I just booked myself onto the course which will be in April/May. Not panicking too much as I know I'm going to gather more info on the course and I'm sure Ofsted will be fine with this should an inspection date arrive before the training. Meanwhile I'm doing what I can to get started, such as writing down the plans I have only held in my head before and creating a portfolio to show Ofsted that I am really hard working on it all, and to help myself to visualise it. I have a couple of A5 size notebooks, one I labelled as the "Observation Book" and will start writing brief observations down next week, and one book I labelled as "Permissions" Book Where I can glue all relevant permissions from parents eg. photograph ones. I will label one more book as the "planning book this weekend and start practising !

Someone said on another thread that just a couple of observations each week per child is required anyway so it's not much.

I'm sure we will all get to grips with it without too much trouble.

I wouldn't mind a petition to ensure better earning for us minders though !:D

namtasha
29-02-2008, 07:31 PM
i think eyfs is great, it will stop people becomming a childminder to have an easy ride.
thjere are few proffessions were you can still be with your own children in your own home and a lot of people i know have used this to be at home and childmind but offer f*c$ all to the children they care for, drag them round the city, tescos to their mates in the pub for lunch.
No i think its good we have to account for what we do with other peoples children we should take pride in what we do and be proud to show people with evidence.
If you have good practice then its not a big move to use the eyfs

Monkey1
29-02-2008, 07:34 PM
no matter how many signitures........its going to happen...like it or not!
I'm going for my training on monday....will let you know after that if i like it or not!:blush:

Mrs.L.C
14-08-2008, 08:30 PM
EYFS should raise the standards and therefore we should get more respect....whether we will or not is a different matter. Personaly i wont be doing anymore paper work than I do now except for the written risk assesments - which once done are done and just need to be checked now and again. I already do Obs, take pics and put childrens work into their own personal folder under the dif areas and its all the same areas no matter there age. I could never get my head around birth to three to be honest but was always ok with the foundation stage so fingers crossed.

As for planning...personaly im not going to do written plans. I might jot down what I think I could do with a child following what they have done or liked but not plans. I did these with the funded places a while back and most of the time the child wanted to do what she wanted and we learnt that way so now most of my activities/learning is child led

Fingers crossed Ofsetd wont complain...but if they do, they do. As long as the chidlren and parents are happy I say

Gherkin
15-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I have degrees up to masters level in the field of history so came to childminding with only parenting as my childcare knowledge. In comparing B23 and EYFS I can safely say that once I sat and read it I found the EYFS to be much more understandable and feel that it is overall going to make my lfie easier and help me improve from my Good in all areas to Outstanding (in hopefully all areas).

This website is here for support in my own point of view and I feel that yes it is good to let people know that there is a petition out there if they want to sign it but i feel that some posts have been overly negative re: EYFS and this will not help those of us who are trying to embrace it and those on the site who are still trying to get their heads around it.

2kidsunder5
16-08-2008, 04:47 PM
i think eyfs is great, it will stop people becomming a childminder to have an easy ride.
thjere are few proffessions were you can still be with your own children in your own home and a lot of people i know have used this to be at home and childmind but offer f*c$ all to the children they care for, drag them round the city, tescos to their mates in the pub for lunch.
No i think its good we have to account for what we do with other peoples children we should take pride in what we do and be proud to show people with evidence.
If you have good practice then its not a big move to use the eyfs

Well said !!!

Diane xx

Bushpig
16-08-2008, 05:11 PM
'i think eyfs is great, it will stop people becomming a childminder to have an easy ride.
If you have good practice then its not a big move to use the eyfs'

Well said, yes!! It will hopefully take the stigma odd of us being *at home babysitters* away too. And only attract those who will go the whole hog, not do it just to make some extra money on the side.

I have a friend who wanted to *make some money*... and mind as and when it suited her. She has done the ICP course, but is being put off with all the paperwork. Every job has something not enjoyed, this is the thing for her.. but it IS a part of the job, so why complain? I keep finding I am having to *justify* why I have dolls and books and resources that show different ethnicity etc. too and she says I am going overboard... but if she'd done her homework, she'd know this was part of the job! And I think she's trying to justify her lack of said materials.

I don't think she'll last long, and if the EYFS is sorting the wheat from the chaff, then good!

John
17-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm just waiting for the 0-16 to come out as i've just been told that your a child until your 16 and with the every child matters it as to bring out 0-16, this as come from a good sorce, maybe in two years time, some of you will know my posting about 0-16.

John.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2008, 07:45 PM
There are different views on this and I wonder if people who are knocking it have tried to implement the EYFS?

I for one spent many hours trying to figure it all out, only to come to the conclusion that I have to keep going as I was and just jot down a few notes and do an observation once a month.

As for working for a low hourly rate, if you have your 3 under 5's as a minimum you should be paid more than a teacher and if you have more you are well in. What is the fuss? This job allows us all to stay at home with our children where we want to be...

I think we were all scepital of B-3 but it was a piece of cake and I bet once EYFS is embedded in our daily routine we will think it is too. By December we will all be wondering what the fuss was about.

As to Eye to Eye, they have been promoting EYFS for over a year and the editor is all for it, so where did the original petition start?

I for one am a childminder who welcomes change, especially if it benefits the children, and records can be completed whilst the children are taking part in their "child led play" so only an hour a month extra will be required.

I am fed up of being told that I am not a Professional. I have 14 children on my books and manage to spend hours training each year. I AM A PROFESSIONAL and want others to recognise it. The EYFS will be the judge of that and the children I care for will benefit from it.

I know that there will be a lot of people scared by the new paperwork but give it a go!

Debbie

Sue Cramp
03-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi all. I am still pre-reg and have spent hours and hours researching EYFS. Let',s face it, it is what it is. The thought of sitting on your ones backside letting the children do as they like sickens me personally. I would like nothing more than to work with them as individuals and be recognised for just that, be it by the children, parents and the big wigs if need be. I went on a child minding course 11 years ago and came home feeling rather deflated. No such thing as inspection etc, to the point my husband said "I don't trust it one bit. What about accidents, day trips, car insurance etc". As a result I didn't take any further steps. However, I now feel I could work safely and happily with any child in my care and look forward to it. I will admit I don't like the idea of spending hours and hours in the evenings doing paper work especially as I have two children of my own but good planning/organising should take care of this. People are doing alot of the work for childminders should we be struggling. Raise a glass for all the ladies who dedicate their time to making life easier for us. You probably think who am I to comment considering I don't mind as yet but I have been practising the Obs, Ass and planning on my own children and it's been brill. Sorry in advance if this thread upsets anyone. X

rickysmiths
07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi all. I am still pre-reg and have spent hours and hours researching EYFS. Let',s face it, it is what it is. The thought of sitting on your ones backside letting the children do as they like sickens me personally. I would like nothing more than to work with them as individuals and be recognised for just that, be it by the children, parents and the big wigs if need be. I went on a child minding course 11 years ago and came home feeling rather deflated. No such thing as inspection etc, to the point my husband said "I don't trust it one bit. What about accidents, day trips, car insurance etc". As a result I didn't take any further steps. However, I now feel I could work safely and happily with any child in my care and look forward to it. I will admit I don't like the idea of spending hours and hours in the evenings doing paper work especially as I have two children of my own but good planning/organising should take care of this. People are doing alot of the work for childminders should we be struggling. Raise a glass for all the ladies who dedicate their time to making life easier for us. You probably think who am I to comment considering I don't mind as yet but I have been practising the Obs, Ass and planning on my own children and it's been brill. Sorry in advance if this thread upsets anyone. X

Hello! I'm sorry you seem to have had such a negative experience 11 years ago. I have been minding for 15 years now and I can assure you that we have always been inspected.

11 years ago it was done by our local social services. We also had to be insured, in my area Public Liabilty Insurance was arranged by the Social Services and the cost was included in our annual registration fee. This changed when Ofsted tookover in 2001 we then had to have insurance that we arranged ourselves. Ofsted always check this when they inspect. We were also Police checked as were all adult members of our household, now chidminders and anyone over 16yrs in the household are CRB checked. Way back then as now all of use have to have a suitable 12hr Childrens First Aid Cert and now we all have a Food Hygiene Cert as well. Then as now we have to have business insurance for the car, this is always checked as well.

Now we have to follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) and it is hard work and a forum like this is invaluble for us all to share ideas, concerns etc.

You don't say what area you live in, I certainly hope your experience registering as a childminder is a positive one. If you stay a member of this forum you will find it a wealth of information.

funtoplay
07-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi,

Don't actually have time to write much, however I am in favour of the EYFS and feel that childminders are probably best suited to deliver the EYFS than any other type of setting which makes it a good thing for us professionals.

I certainly do not consider myself to be working for a low wage. By the time I pick up from school I will soon be minding up to 7 children that works out as £24.50 an hour since i charge £3.50. That includes 2 of my own children. I always consider them when i think about how much i earn, since if I was going out to work they would be in childcare so I think of that as money I would have been paying out.

Having had a Great EYFS inspection before christmas without doing tons of paperwork. I think as we all learn to live a breath EYFS it will become easier and simpler!!

Julia