PDA

View Full Version : Half term

haribo
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi all, not been on for a bit just catching up, and got a bit of a dilemma. Most of my parents work in schools in varying capacities so got no children during school hols at the mo. I charge half fees during all the holidays, even if I'm away. Is this OK, or should I not charge if I'm not here?
Another query I have is that one of the mums half term is the week AFTER next and she has asked if I'll have the little on next week when all the others are on holiday. I said yes because had no major plans and hubby is working that week anyway. My dilemma is whether to charge half or full fees the week after when the little one will probably stay with her mum. I want to be fair but at the same time I am losing out on a holiday! What would you all do? Any advice would be appreciated xx

miffy
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
What does it say in your contract about holidays - you should charge accordingly

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I do not charge if I am not available to work.

As for the mum who's half term is different - I would charge normal fees. I actually state that I run to the local schools holiday times. I don't have any teachers kids on the books or the situation where I am not needed for the holiday periods if I did I think I would charge the half fees retainer in these situations and if anyones half terms fall outside my "school holiday periods" then I would charge them the normal rates.

Hope that makes sense

Lou
07-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I agree with Vik xx

sarah707
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
i agree with vik too! :D

angeldelight
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree also

Good luck hope you get the job

Angel xx

Sandie
07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I do the same as Vik if I am not available I dont charge i.e illness, holidays, if they are on holiday I charged half fee and if they are being cared by me they are charged the full fee for the hours they are with me.

~Sandie~

haribo
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
thanks for your replies , my contract says she pays half fees for school hols and she was really happy wih that as her previos chidminder charged full fee all year! so if say i went on holiday during school hols should i not charge while im away? id be happy with that , although theres a lot of school hols so im missing out unless i can fill the place temp. which is difficult. anyway- guess whats just happened ??? nan just came to get little one and i mentioned hols being different and how little one was still coming next week and nan looked surprised and said no mums off next week!!!!!!! so i said oh she said shes off week after so tell her to ring and let me know . well not heard yet and in fact have just checked on internet and she bloomin is off next week!!! so i gave up my hol as felt bad cos thought she had to work !!! help any advice how to handle this should i phone and say oh you got mixed up your off next week or what?? help pleeease xxx

avril
07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
One of my mindees parents work in a school and I charge half fee retainer, never had any complaints about this

Avril :laughing:

haribo
07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
thanks avril can i ask do u charge half fee even if u went away and werent available? x

katickles
07-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Where your saying you charge 1/2 fees in holidays is this a retainer? If so you shouldn't charge if you take a holiday during a retainer period. I read this in the NCMA handbook.

:)

haribo
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
oh thanks thats what i thought, it could get complicated tho around xmas etc, guess id just have to decide which days i wouldnt work and deduct that from the retainer ! xx

Twinkles
07-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I work mainly for teachers and they are all happy to pay half fees in school hols. They don't expect me to be available to work but I will if they need me providing they give enough notice. I usually take my holidays in school hols , they would be pretty stuck if I didn't 'cos they couldn't take more time off.