PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE!

Sarahbelle
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I mind a two year old little boy. Our theme this month is colours. We played a simple colour matching game. i.e you roll the dice. Whatever colour is on the dice you put a matching counter on the matching colour circle on the board. Easy!

If you ask this little boy what colour something is he says everything is blue! But I was fascinated to notice that he matched the right colour counter to the right colour circle on his board game without any help. I have never seen a child do this in 8 years of minding! I want to do an obs as he did it five times and didn't get it wrong once. But what does it come under? And what would I put for next steps?

Princess Sara
11-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Haha I'd say next steps are naming the correct colour... but anything else I have no idea because I've been on the wine!

(DS1 was like this, although he loved pink... but could colour code everything at aged 2, still calling them all pink most of the time though.)

Princess Sara
11-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Actually, he still loves pink, and greeeeen! (He has recently decided that it is not green, it is greeeeen, in a really high pitched voice.) And he'll be 5 in May.

ORKSIE
11-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Sounds pretty normal to me:)
Comes under PSRN
I think :rolleyes:

Sarahbelle
16-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I thought it might be PSRN but wasn't sure.:)

The Juggler
18-04-2009, 12:43 PM
It would come under PSRN. He is matching and sorting his objects by colour (categorisation and differentiating skills) - problem solving.

Even though he may not be able to name or recognise colours he is able to differentiate between them. That might mean he "knows" his colours or it might mean he is skilled at matching identical colours.

Next steps could be seeing if he can point to or recognise colours you say as this will give you an indication of whether he is able to link colour names to each colour.

You could introduce two shades of the same colour. I had a two year old who could match all the pen lids to the pens, same as your little one. He then looked puzzled when told two different colours were blue so we introduced dark and light. Sounds young, I know but this will help avoid confusion for him if he's already quite skilled at matching and sorting.

Also, you could use his sorting skills to introduce different size/shape counters or buttons therefore introducing size and shape concepts into a current skill/interest.

Good luck

Sarahbelle
18-04-2009, 12:54 PM
It would come under PSRN. He is matching and sorting his objects by colour (categorisation and differentiating skills) - problem solving.

Even though he may not be able to name or recognise colours he is able to differentiate between them. That might mean he "knows" his colours or it might mean he is skilled at matching identical colours.

Next steps could be seeing if he can point to or recognise colours you say as this will give you an indication of whether he is able to link colour names to each colour.

You could introduce two shades of the same colour. I had a two year old who could match all the pen lids to the pens, same as your little one. He then looked puzzled when told two different colours were blue so we introduced dark and light. Sounds young, I know but this will help avoid confusion for him if he's already quite skilled at matching and sorting.

Also, you could use his sorting skills to introduce different size/shape counters or buttons therefore introducing size and shape concepts into a current skill/interest.

Good luck

Brilliant! That is really helpful and has given me some ideas as to where to go with this one. :D

The Juggler
18-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Brilliant! That is really helpful and has given me some ideas as to where to go with this one. :D

a pleasure!