PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Conversation about Ofsted

Pedagog
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I had an interesting chat with a social worker the other day, who works in the local authority fostering team. Part of her job is recruit childminders to do respite care for them. She has received a document stating that Ofsted (locally) will not give outstanding or good to any newly registered childminders, or any registered less than a year.

Mollymop
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Well that is not very fair of ofsted at all is it?

I received all goods on my first inspection and I had only been registered 7 months.

They should grade childminders fairly no matter how long they have been registered.

estrelas
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
is this true??

I blooming hope not, i've spent hours and hours and hours making sure i'm completely 100 % going the right way!!

I know i'm doing an ok job and i'd be most upset if ofsted couldn't tell me that!!

balloon
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
That's disgusting!

I got outstanding for my first inspection after only minding for 6 months so it's not a nationwide thing.

Mouse
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
I wonder how they feel about not giving outstanding to newly registered nurseries?
It would be interesting to know if the same 'rule' applies to them.

Blaze
08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I really hope this is untrue as I got outstanding on my first inspection & had only been registered for 41/2 months at the time...so really unfair if this is the case.

Andrea08
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
a lot has been said about Ofsted and inspectors are told different things from different parts of the country,,,

rem i told of our inspection cicle starting from 0 !! no one believed me,,, well i would wait till your inspection arrives and say

please while your in my home tell me if it is true that,,x y z ,,, while put on the spot the inspector will have to tell you the truth???

Bushpig
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
I also got Outstanding within my first year of childminding - this is such a shame (and unfair!) if it does actually happen.

madasahatter
08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
It certainly would be unfair for ofsted to limit the grade that a new childminder could attain. Every new childminder comes from a different background. Everyone has different degrees of experience and professionalism. Some see it as a bit extra household income whilst others see childminding as a viable and successful business. You can have new childminders with very limited experience of children through to childcare graduates with years of good experience in different settings but who have only just registered. Everyone should be measured against the scale in the same way irrespective of how long they've been a childminder.

MissTinkerbell
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
It happened with me - I got good and she said that she didn't give outstandings on 1st inspections!!! She said that with some more experience I should get it next time - so the 18 years of childcare experience and the early years degree I have obviously counted for nothing -:angry:

Pedagog
08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm going to have a chat with my local inspector when I see her at school after Easter (her son goes to school with my daughter).

breezy
08-04-2009, 04:56 PM
There was a rumour going round here about that, people were saying newly reg childminders wouldnt get outstanding because ofsted didnt think they were experienced enough:( I 've no idea if it was just gossip or not though:(

estrelas
08-04-2009, 05:44 PM
i can live without outstanding, but i'd at least expect to get a good, if i deserved it!
i would be very annoyed if they said, you are good but we're only giving you satisactory!!!

I may be new, i might not have the experience that other childminders have but i'd like to think they'd grade me as i actually am!! If i get satisfactory because thats all i deserve, then i will be happy with that. I think its a good grade, and i'd have something to work towards.

georgie456
16-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I wonder if that is a new thing since the EYFS came in? I was given a good on my first inspection (in 2007) and a couple of months later, my sister in law got an outstanding and she'd only been registered 8 months!
I think it's a big shame if that's what they are doing and very unfair.

maple
17-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I had my first inspection in Jan 2009 after EYFS had come in and got Outstanding. My inspector said it was the first one she had given since EYFS had come in.