PDA

View Full Version : planning for babies, themed or not ??

sorrel
03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi guys

haven't been on here for a while, am now registered and start minding in 2 weeks, very excited!!:clapping: I'm after some advice please, my first 2 mindee's are a 4 year old and an 8 month old (siblings) and i will have them two days per week. I have just started my planning, and have decided to do topics, so i'm starting with springtime, i am finding it easy to find things to cover the 6 learning areas for the 4 year old, but struggling with the 8 month old. Can i do seperate planning for baby that isn't themed??? What do you guys all do??

thanks
xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Sarah will no doubt be along soon with her words of wisdom (she is really good at this) but I don't plan for children until they are around 3 and use routines and activities for their development.

Andrea08
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Hay well done and good luck..

well the baby can do the same as the 4yr old (is the 4yr old at school?)

rem your continual provision, daily and weekly routines are your long term plans ,
medium are adult led activities or when a child shows an interest
and short is the way you set up and carry out an activity/ evaluate and make suggestions of improvement or extensions for next time,

dont worry about it too much as i did ,,, made loads of plans and they just didnt fit after a few wks,, think one month at a time what is happening that month??? like we did mothers day and spring for march,
april is spring activities and easter
may is time for a rest and im off on a wks holiday in a caravan,,,:rolleyes: did i say rest lol

good luck hun hope that helps a little but sarah is the best on this topic of planning x x x

Catheyp
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi, Congratulations on registering :clapping: I plan for the babies by making what we are doing accessible and suitable for their stage of development e.g simple painting, using large stickers, spread glue for them so that they can join in if they want to. I keep a note of how I've adjusted the activity so they can be included to show wanyone that asks:)
I do monthly plans based on what the children are interested in, but they are very loose and flexible - they have to be for the EYFS age groups. I make sure the parents know that it's things we might do for that month, not that we will! Hope that's helpful.

sarah707
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Hello and welcome!

Planning for babies must follow their interests and learning styles and the things they can do...

You can look at spring or a theme you are running with older children but it will be in a totally different way ... so you follow the seasons but not like you'd do a topic for a 4 year old.

Just go with the flow and remember to evidence their learning and development through your obs, assessments and planning.

Does that make sense? :D