Have been told I need a seperate policy for accidents and incidents
I am being a bit thick but what is the difference:blush:

Please help with some ideas

christine e
31-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Have been told I need a seperate policy for accidents and incidents
I am being a bit thick but what is the difference:blush:

Please help with some ideas

An accident is when someone gets hurt eg a bump on the head and an incident could be all manner of things that you need to report it could be a child in your care biting another child or something you overhear a child saying that gives rise to concern - hope this helps

Cx

miffy
31-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with Christine - I have a separate form for accidents and incidents.

I don't have a policy for either.

Miffy xx

Zoomie
01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I was reading with the welfare requirements (I think) and realised that an incident is also when a child becomes unwell whilst in your care, or had an accident at nursery ...

My other job isn't in childcare, but we are also quite hot on recording 'near miss incidents'. An accident that didn't happen by pure luck. Eg, a child runs into road, but nothing happens.

Now I know that you probably wouldn't want to record such an incident, but in truth they help you to realise where things need to be improved.

It is also useful to use your accident / incident reports when reviewing your RAs so that you can further minimise risks ....

(Sorry just going off on it a bit ;)

christine e
01-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I was reading with the welfare requirements (I think) and realised that an incident is also when a child becomes unwell whilst in your care, or had an accident at nursery ...

My other job isn't in childcare, but we are also quite hot on recording 'near miss incidents'. An accident that didn't happen by pure luck. Eg, a child runs into road, but nothing happens.

Now I know that you probably wouldn't want to record such an incident, but in truth they help you to realise where things need to be improved.

It is also useful to use your accident / incident reports when reviewing your RAs so that you can further minimise risks ....

(Sorry just going off on it a bit ;)

I quite a agree with you and I think near miss incidents are a good example - was talking this thread over with a friend this morning and we said as above and things like if you drove past a serious road traffic accident, the children could be traumatised by it so you need to inform parent, incidents could be all manner of things but basically something that isn't an accident (no actual harm to child) but something that you need to tell parents about, a child who runs into road is a good example of something that parents need to know about

Cx

Gizmo
01-04-2009, 06:17 PM
That makes more sense now (not so foggy in my head today)
I dont really need a policy just a form for each

Cheers :thumbsup: