PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Degree in Early Childcare and education

Julia
06-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi

Is anyone else doing this course anywhere else, I'm in my first year and finding it really hard with my time. Im in Bridgend South Wales and would love to hear from other who are doing the same course.

Thanks
Julia:laughing:

LittleMissSparkles
06-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Im doing the DHC but good luck and im sure someone here will be able to help you xxxx

sarah707
06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi... do you mean e123 with Open University or something else? :D

Julia
08-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi... do you mean e123 with Open University or something else? :D

No its with Newport university, I go part-time on a Monday night and it leads from a Foundation Degree to a full BA after 3 years.

Not sure if the OU course does the same?

sarah707
08-02-2008, 09:32 AM
You can take the OU course I am doing onto a full degree... the Foundation Degree gives you a level 4 though and that's all I think I want to update my skills a bit and make myself marketable should the need arise in the future.

I already did a degree - but that was 20+ years ago, so I'm very rusty and finding all this learning hard work!

You are very brave doing a full degree... how do you find it works fitting around children and working? :D

Julia
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
You can take the OU course I am doing onto a full degree... the Foundation Degree gives you a level 4 though and that's all I think I want to update my skills a bit and make myself marketable should the need arise in the future.

I already did a degree - but that was 20+ years ago, so I'm very rusty and finding all this learning hard work!

You are very brave doing a full degree... how do you find it works fitting around children and working? :D

There were 3 childminders doing the course now there are only 2, the pressures and time restraints you have as a childminder makes it nearly impossible. Not one of us childminders have had good marks for our assignments, not because we are thick but we just dont have the time to study like the others (made up of a mix of teaching assistants and nursery nurses).

Its 1/2 term this week so no college and an extra day off on Wednesday, less children (my own go out to play with their mates) so I'm getting my head down and try to crack on with my work, but I also had a bit of a bad time of late, my nan died when my dad was on holiday in Spain my Aunty didnt have anyone elses phone number and rang me, so I had to ring my dad and tell him his mum had died and then arrange all the travel back to the UK for them and everything inbetween nightmare, an assignment was due that week so I had an extension but that ment Im a week behind everyone else.

I'll catch up, but no it isnt easy and anyone thinking of taking on this course should really think about wether they can fit this course in with thier lifestyle.

:thumbsup:

sarah707
09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh Julia that sounds like an awful time for you... how is the family now? I hope your dad is coping ok.

I am hoping to get some work done next week as well - but I am still working, although not as busy. I find it really hard to sit down after a 9 hour day and start writing and trying to make my brain take stuff in...

It is, however, fab for my professional development and I am enjoying learning again after so many years - but yes, finding time to fit it in is very difficult. I will be glad when I have finished! :D

Pipsqueak
09-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Julie - sorry you've had such a horrid time, all that takes it toll on you too.

Now I am coming up to the end of the L3 courses (NVQ CCLD) I am going to take a breather but I was wondering where to go after that.

What does/can the Foundation Degree lead onto, what opportunities does it open up? My development officer has suggested this route but I am not sure.

I can imagine its hard going and as Julie says, not having the spare time (being minders, with children with us 24/7) as perhaps others do, makes it harder.

What other options are there available?

manjay
09-02-2008, 03:11 PM
What other options are there available?

Find a sugar daddy and retire to a beachside villa!!

amanda xx

sarah707
09-02-2008, 04:38 PM

amanda xx

Hmmm, any ideas where we could find one? They're all a bit old round here! :panic:

Pipsqueak
09-02-2008, 08:44 PM

amanda xx

If you know of any please point them my way......:D

deeb66
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM

amanda xx

Yes..could do with one of those too :D