PDA

View Full Version : Confused about fees & parents taking the p***

breezer
06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi I am new to childminding and am currently minding 2 eight year olds. I charge £3.60 per hour which I wanted to split into 15 minute blocks. So a child arriving at 7.40am would pay from 7.30am and when I leave them at school at 8.50am I charge till 9am as this time falls within the last 15mins of care? Does this sound reasonable?

One of the parents has complained about this and says that I should be able to walk home by 3.45pm after school instead of 3.50pm. We walk as quickly as we can and her mum is always there having arrived at 3.45pm straight from work. I charge her till 4pm under the afore mentioned rules.

She now wants to collect her whilst we are walking back to prevent her from paying an extra 15 mins @ 90p! I don't like this arrangement as it means forms won't get signed at my house and we will always have to walk the same route home so she can find us.

Do you think I am being unreasonable? My problem is that I am not very assertive and wouls like to end our arrangement completely due to a string of other problems but don't feel strong enough to stand up to her.

Trouble
06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
i charge by the hour if their there on the hour fine if not they pay for the next hour, they know this from the start so its up to them:laughing: :laughing: no one would work for 1.50 per half hour so why should i

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 05:08 PM
to be honest it sounds a little confusing splitting it down too much! I have hourly rates, half days/full days. If the parent goes over these then they pay, but it they go under these times it is their choice to pick up early for instance so I dont give them a refund. maybe you are giving parents too much leeway by splitting it into 15min slots!! I am unsure other than that what advice to give you x x

berkschick
You do more than me, I only break down to 30 mins!

I think picking up on the way home from school presents a danger to the other mindees as what if you are distracted talking to Mum and one of them runs off? Also, if it is anything like the roads around here at school collection time, it will be a nightmare for her to park up!

I would suggest that she either collects them from you at the school before you walk home or she waits at your house for you and suffers the 90p!

Surely she knew all this before she signed up with you?

katickles
She sounds hard work!!!

Does she not realise that you care for more children then just hers?

i don't think you are being un-reasonable at all. There was another thread on here recently about a letter of termination, if you want to terminate your contract, this would be a good letter to take guidence from.

Don't let her get you down, think of yourself, the other children & the fact this is your business :)

LittleAcorns
06-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Do you think I am being unreasonable? .

No not at all, I always round it up, I drop kids off in the morning at 8.40 and 8.45 sometimes 8.50 by the time Ive got round after dropping 4 kids off, but I charge til 9am, its only a few minutes after all, stick to your guns, and tell her it would be inappropriate to collect the child whilst on your journey home as you have other children to supervise and it is paramount that you keep the journey uniterupted!!!!!!

What other problems have you got with her

Oh and sorry, welcome :jump for joy: :clapping: :laughing:

bestmum2have
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
This is your business, your rules, you set the rules and if the parent doesn't like what they are then
bye bye
There are many other parents who will want your services.
Stand firm
You charge what you want for giving that service.
I'm sorry I sound really bossy its just that I've been minding along time and it infuriates me when parents start to dictate our service.

LittleAcorns
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Look guys will you slow down, there were no replies when I started mine, I posted it, looked and theres about 20!!!!!!!!!! I dont know, go see to the tea or something and give us part timers a chance..............................

Only kidding :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

ajs
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
i don't do increments either i only charge by the hour so tough she could pay the whole £3.60 if she was mine
if they dropped at 7.40 and drop at school at 8.50 means they would pay for 2 hours, it does mean they may leave them here from 7 though but that's the chance i have to take

i collect one child at 3.30 and her mum comes any time between 4 and 5 .30 so that's what she pays for every day

why don't you suggest that she picks her child up from school herself if the 90p is causing the problem

Trouble
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
i think parents try to set the rules when your new to see how far they can push you, but like some of these ladies have said your rules dont like it bye bye:laughing:

LittleMissSparkles
06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I dont think you are been unreasonable at all, tell her to go else where if shes not happy with paying the 90p !!! for gods sake some parents !!!

xxx

tulip0803
06-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi I have a set minimum of 2 hours care whether they are there for those 2 hours is up to the parent but the parent is charged. I do split to 1/2 hours as I have had some that came for 2 1/2 hours.

This is your business and some do take the :censored:. Once you say no to the first it becomes easier. I had one parent ask me to drive her and her family to Heathrow airport from Essex on Christmas Eve as it was in their contracted hours!!! 1:laughing: Strangely enough I did say no. I had other children coming so perhaps they may have liked to see the planes :rolleyes:

It is dangerous to do a handover away from home. I agree with the others tell her it is a safety issue and if she doesn't like it she can always find another c/m. Some are not worth the hassle.

Julia XX

LittleMissSparkles
06-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I had one parent ask me to drive her and her family to Heathrow airport from Essex on Christmas Eve as it was in their contracted hours!!!

Julia XX

OMG thats unbelieveable !!!! :eek:

breezer
06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Splitting into half hours sounds more reasonable. Thanks for all your help. I think I will end our arrangement because if we resolve this one there will always be something else later on. She doesn't wait for her invoice to be issued she just writes the hours and amounts on an envelope and hands it to me so SHE tells ME how much it is! We don't have a contract as she is over eight and I was minding her before I was fully registered.

So should I be charging for the total amount of time per session or rounding it off to the next 15mins on the clock. i.e 8.30, 8.45, 9am etc?

tulip0803
06-02-2008, 05:43 PM
OMG thats unbelieveable !!!! :eek:

I found it easy to say no to that one !!! :ROFL1: They then asked if my husband would do it instead! Strange family but always paid on time.

Julia XX

LittleMissSparkles
06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Splitting into half hours sounds more reasonable. Thanks for all your help. I think I will end our arrangement because if we resolve this one there will always be something else later on. She doesn't wait for her invoice to be issued she just writes the hours and amounts on an envelope and hands it to me so SHE tells ME how much it is! We don't have a contract as she is over eight and I was minding her before I was fully registered.

So should I be charging for the total amount of time per session or rounding it off to the next 15mins on the clock. i.e 8.30, 8.45, 9am etc?

thats dangerous not having a contract with her ....

tulip0803
06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=breezer;47106] She doesn't wait for her invoice to be issued she just writes the hours and amounts on an envelope and hands it to me so SHE tells ME how much it is! We don't have a contract as she is over eight and I was minding her before I was fully registered.

I always had contracts for my over 8s. Make sure you have a contract for everyone it makes life a lot easier. I use the same contracts as I do for everyone else and the same child record forms.

JuliaXX

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
You SHOULD have a contract for every child regardless of age - it's for every ones protection and benefit.

It sounds like this mum is trying to tell you how she wants things to be but as has been said before - your business your rules.

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 05:53 PM
. I had one parent ask me to drive her and her family to Heathrow airport from Essex on Christmas Eve as it was in their contracted hours!!! 1:laughing: Strangely enough I did say no.
Julia XX

:laughing: :laughing: that is outrageous!!!

And you meanie you - saying no...:rolleyes: :D

breezer
06-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Please don't shout at me for not having a contract! I only became registered yesterday!!! And she has only just started paying me!

crazybones
06-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I had one parent ask me to drive her and her family to Heathrow airport from Essex on Christmas Eve as it was in their contracted hours!!!
Julia XX

OMG STUNNED INTO SILENCE

Annie x

LittleMissSparkles
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Please don't shout at me for not having a contract! I only became registered yesterday!!! And she has only just started paying me!

we arent shouting at you just concerned she will cause trouble for you as Vik says contracts work both ways they protect parents and YOU get one put in place asap if you are keeping her xxx

Lincsminder
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I have contracts for the over 8s too it protects us both form situations just like this. I also charge set fees for wrap around care.
£8 a night after school until 6pm including dinner so £40 a week and
£10 a week before school including breakfast. Or £45 for the both.

I have parents that pick up at 5 and others at 6 but they still pay the same allthough I might charge less if they were collecting at 4pm say £4 a night. I

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Sorry I did not mean for that to be shouting I was trying to emphasise.... apologies. I sometimes forget that caps indicate shouting.

Congrats on getting reg;d by the way:clapping:

sarah707
06-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Nobody's shouting at you hun! It's just a bit scary working without a contract!

You need one to protect yourself... to make sure you get paid... and so you are insured... etc...

You should have received a pack from ncma or morton michel when you first registered with some contracts inside... if not, contact your childminding development officer and have a word... :D

manjay
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I can understand that you didn't have contracts as you were minding these children before you were fully registered but if you do continue to mind them I would say to her you now have to have a contract.

DO NOT let her dictate to you. That is so out of order. I charge a minimum of 2 hours per day so whether they want half an hour or the full 2 hours they still pay the same. I make this very clear when contracts are signed. I do not do part hours either. My business, my rules! If parents don't like it they can go elsewhere. I know it can be really difficult to be strong but if you don't the parents will walk all over you.

Good luck and keep us posted

amanda xx

Twinkles
06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I have a ten pound minimum charge to do anything!!! You might want to tell her that. I have one child who arrives at 8.30 ( just one day a week) and I take her to pre-school for 9.15 and I charge £10 for this.

Banana
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Get a contract done! Now you are registered you should get one done and then that covers you if she decides to up and off without paying you.

Secondly - tell her if 90p is causing that much hassle for her maybe she should conider the cost of minders who do not do part hourly payments and explain you are actually very reasonable with your rates.

Tell her NO - she cant pick her up on the way home, she can either get to the school and pick her up herself or she can wait for you to get home and she will be billed accordingly. She sounds like a royal pain in the jacksy!

x

tulip0803
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Sorry I don't think anyone meant to shout at you:group hug: . I know its hard when you first start up, I was lucky I had a friend who was already a c/m so any questions I asked her. I think everyone was just worried about you, she sounds like she will cause you trouble. :group hug:

You were right to ask for advice from everyone as it is very daunting to be faced with strong personalities particularly as we are often trained to feel we are in the wrong. British "sorry mentality". Be strong do waht you want to do this is you business - the first no is hard, unless it is a ridiculous situation as in my case but once you have done it you know you can again if the need arises.

Julia xx

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm worried about the newbies ;) - they have read all our posts, views and stances and we have bred the new breed of minder "Hard Nosed"!!!! It normally takes several bad parents and a few years to get that way lol:laughing:

deeb66
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I promis I won't shout at you:D but.......

Please get a contract signed.

If I was you I would:-

Tell this mum that she can wait at home for you.....you will get there as soon as you can!

Tell her that due to the problems encountered you have now changed your charging policy and that she will be charged for every full or part half hour used.....so in the end 5 minutes will make no difference at all!!!!!

As I said this is what I would do but of course you need to do what you think is right for you.

Rubybubbles
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
oh hun, I know where you are ont his one, before I got reg I had a child 6 less than 2 hours a day, so had no contract, but once I was reg I got mum to do one (so maybe now you could say, now my certifcate ahs come through we need to sit down and do one maybe:idea: )

I charge 30 mins, so if a child arrived at 7.40am it would be from 7.30 (but then I charge £1.50 per 1/4 before 8am:cool: ) so don't really get much!! Then the children go into school at 8.50am but I charge till 9am, never been questioned really, sorry she's been such a ***** to you

Let us know how you go with it all

Cheeky Chops
06-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Contracts are from the lord......!! I would strongly advise as everyone else has on here to get one now you are registered, the ncma do them if you are unsure of how to word yours. I am sure by now after reading all of these posts you know you need one!!!

hugs x x

buildingblocks
06-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Do you think I am being unreasonable? My problem is that I am not very assertive and wouls like to end our arrangement completely due to a string of other problems but don't feel strong enough to stand up to her.

If you want to end this arrangement just give notice you do not have to give a reason but if you feel this might be taken the wrong way. Stick to your guns over the payment. Tell mum (politely of course) she can take it or leave it the choice is hers and if she is not happy then she is at liberty ro find another childminder - i personally charge a minimum of three hours a day. If it was me I would start to walk slower :blush:

angeldelight
06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Just wanted to say I agree with everyone else

Good luck hope you get it sorted

Angel xx

Trouble
06-02-2008, 11:22 PM
if you dont have a contract you dont have to give her notice that will shut her up see im hard now after 3 years!!!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

manjay
06-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm worried about the newbies ;) - they have read all our posts, views and stances and we have bred the new breed of minder "Hard Nosed"!!!! It normally takes several bad parents and a few years to get that way lol:laughing:

You are all such good teachers!! I think I would have been a right wet lettuce if I hadn't found you lot!!

amanda xx

Julia
07-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi I am new to childminding and am currently minding 2 eight year olds. I charge £3.60 per hour which I wanted to split into 15 minute blocks. So a child arriving at 7.40am would pay from 7.30am and when I leave them at school at 8.50am I charge till 9am as this time falls within the last 15mins of care? Does this sound reasonable?

One of the parents has complained about this and says that I should be able to walk home by 3.45pm after school instead of 3.50pm. We walk as quickly as we can and her mum is always there having arrived at 3.45pm straight from work. I charge her till 4pm under the afore mentioned rules.

She now wants to collect her whilst we are walking back to prevent her from paying an extra 15 mins @ 90p! I don't like this arrangement as it means forms won't get signed at my house and we will always have to walk the same route home so she can find us.

This is what I do, if a child starts at 7.45 and ends her day at 5.15 I can quite easily work out her hours to 1/2 hours but I would never do 1/4 hours because you would get the idiots like your parent who will try and save a few pennies.

What did she agree to in the contract?
If she insits on changing the contract hours she has to give you 4 weeks written notice, you have to change the contract to accomidate the new hours.

To be honest if its not suiting you tell her no, your not going to meet her on the way, she will meet you at the house.

When you first start out in this business you are so grateful to be getting children you put up with all sorts of nonesence, once youve been around the block a few times you'll get tougher, and your confidence will grow and you'll be able to tell these people, no its my way or the highway sweetheart!

Chin up, be strong:)

sarah707
07-02-2008, 08:35 AM
When you first start out in this business you are so grateful to be getting children you put up with all sorts of nonesence, once youve been around the block a few times you'll get tougher, and your confidence will grow and you'll be able to tell these people, no its my way or the highway sweetheart! Chin up, be strong:)

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

wendywu
09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
If a parent is making a fuss about 90p then often you will have trouble with them and money in the future. I would start looking to replace them.

I dont mind within reason what i do and try to help people out, but i will not put up with people penny pinching and trying to cut corners.

manjay
10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
its my way or the highway sweetheart!

I love this!! Think I might put it on the front of my prospectus!!

amanda xx