PDA

View Full Version : about taking part-timers!

suet
27-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Hello there, just a question - I have an enquiry for a full time starting in September and have had 3 calls for part time places. Someone said to me "be careful about taking odd days cause you may have trouble filling the other days". do you think im wrong in taking on someone who wants full time but only on a wednesday and thursday each week.

Sue t

estrelas
27-03-2009, 05:17 PM
what age are they?

i've just took on a part timer, only two days. didn't really bother me cos i can fill the other two full time places if i needed

up to you really and what you want or what income you need x

Bushpig
27-03-2009, 05:21 PM
My kids have always been part-timers, and all vacancies have been filled easily.. albeit with a little bit of thinking on my part! That's what seems to be the thing done in my part of the world - mums work a couple of days a week and stay home with the kids a couple of days a week.

suet
27-03-2009, 05:25 PM
what age are they?

i've just took on a part timer, only two days. didn't really bother me cos i can fill the other two full time places if i needed

up to you really and what you want or what income you need x

The babys will be 8months when she starts and she has a sister who is 6 and will need before and after school care. Also i have someone who wants full time all week from September and her llittle one will be just over 1 year old. I cant see a problem and felt happy about it it was only when someone said to be careful that got me thinking. yeah in a ideal world you would have all full timers 5 days a week but thats only a dream. Thanks for you comment.

Sue t

angeldelight
27-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I think you have to do what is best for you

Sometimes things have a way of working themselves out other times they do not but you get to know what suits you best

Good luck

Angel xx

estrelas
27-03-2009, 05:32 PM
so if you take the baby, you get the older one? if so i would do it xx

balloon
27-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree with Angel, things work themselves out usually.

I started with one part timer (18hrs), took on another PTer (12 hrs) and then a FT , now both PTs have gone full time so I have the 'dream' 3 full timers, lol!

You find out by trial and error what works for you, good luck :)

Chatterbox Childcare
27-03-2009, 06:35 PM
When I first started childminding in the 90's full timers were the norm. As parents now have flexible working hours they use them and they don't seem to want full time anymore. I have 5 under 5's and 2 are full time. The other 3 pay slightly more due to the hours they want.

If the work is there, I say go for it, if it is what you want and fits within your hours

Daftbat
27-03-2009, 06:53 PM
In nine years of minding i have only ever had two full timers. Its far more common for you to be minding whislt mum is working part time or if they do work full time grandma might be looking after them for at least a day. You have to go with whats right for you but two full days a week sounds good to me.

patconn2
28-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I have 9 children on my role all part time, 5 preschool :eek: Obviously dont have them all at the same time :panic: but don't have much flexiblity. Had a parent who took the proverbial with flexibility no matter how many times I spoke to her about it, so taking on other part timers solved that issue.
With flexible working hours now, if parents really want to use you, then they can request certain days so it is not as difficult to fill odd days. parents of little ones think it is great that their kids see different little ones. They all play the "guess who's been today game".

ruby
28-03-2009, 08:46 AM
we have 7 under 5 at the moment but only 2 are full time the rest vary from 2/3 days a week but it does make the week more interesting having different children different days.

also if a parent need to swap or add an extra day its no problem

should say we are register to have 6 under 5

cathy

PixiePetal
28-03-2009, 08:58 AM
In over 14 years, I have never had a full time child.

Most I have had is 4 days. Now it tends to be 2-3 days. Gives the week a lot of variety :) and gives me lots of files to write :(

FussyElmo
28-03-2009, 09:41 AM
In my time childminding never had a part timer so it swings and roundabouts. Know others who have part timers and it suits. Its trial and error at first if your happy with the family go for it I would.

Alibali
28-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I was advised the same when I first started, and started off with 3 full timers, now things have changes slightly and most of mine are part timers, and I have to admit that I much prefer it. It's nice to have something different sometimes and it seems to make the week go much quicker.

As has been said, it usually has a way of working itself out

tulip0803
28-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I have only ever had one full-time child. All the others ahve been part-time.

Rubybubbles
28-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I have a lo on a thurs all day thats it! He sometimes comes if mum has days training so I have him his Monday too. It worked out well with the other children I had.

I now only have before and after school and my thurs child, which works out lovely!

christine e
28-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Years ago I would only take on full timers but things have changed and companies have to be more flexible and offer part time to parents returning to work so I now take on part timers. I have one little boy who came to me for one day a week, then increased to two then three and is now full time (the only full timer I have on my books).

Cx

ChocolateChip
28-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I started a year ago with one on 3x6hrs and one just for one full day-9hrs.
Still have them although the 3 days have turned into 4, I had another one for a while doing 2 and a half days but lost them due to redundancy, and was filling in a couple of others for 2 or 3 hrs here and there.
But one of them now wants fulltime so hopefully as of next month I will be full.
My point is if it suits I would take on whatever I get, in time the word will get round and you will probably be full before you know it anyway.
This is such an up and down business, I wouldn't turn down work in case of 'what if's', good luck! :)

suet
28-03-2009, 05:47 PM
so if you take the baby, you get the older one? if so i would do it xx

Yes that right baby and the older one. Mom came to see me yeasterday (friday) looks promising she wants 2 days per week term time only. She is coming back with the older child next week so i can meet her too.

Sue

suet
28-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all of your help ladies :thumbsup: you are all so helpful. Dont no what we new childminders would do with out you all.

Cheers Sue t

Shar
28-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I have only 1 full timer and the other 6 kids are part time. Seems to always work out fine for me. Most mum's can do part time so I would'nt wait for full timers only. Good luck. :thumbsup: