PDA

View Full Version : Planning ... how to set it out

sarah707
25-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I have just been asked this question in a pm and I thought I would share my answer with you all.

The member asked about the differences between long, medium and short term planning... I hope this helps! :D

Long term planning... this is your calendar for the year with birthdays, special events, celebrations from around the world like Chinese New year etc...

You need some brief ideas for what you are going to do for each of them but nothing too set in stone because you don't know what the children will be wanting by the time the months come round... these ideas are your medium term plans and you should show how they will meet the Eyfs... SO...

If you are planning for Chinese New Year your long term plan will just show the date...

Your medium term plan will show activity ideas to cover each area of learning and development...

PSED – make snack together for the children to share;

Cll - read about China; look at Chinese writing;

Psr&n - oh i dunno, counting animals in the Chinese zodiac or something;

KUW – learn about where China is on the world map... etc.

You can write these up on a planning spider or just in 6 boxes, with a heading for each area of learning and development. Don't go overboard, just make sure you have a range of activity ideas.

Your short term planning is about meeting each child's needs on the day. That's why I say don't write up too much... things might change and then I would feel like I'd wasted my time!

So JJ is into dinosaurs... what do you know about Chinese dragons? Get them researched, make one using sticks and paper... KK is into dolls - find a Chinese one for her to play with.

You can still play with chopsticks, look at Chinese writing, examine a lucky Buddha, go to a Chinese take away and get role play boxes, buy a wok etc... but make sure you show JJ and KK's interests are being followed as well.

That's why you have group planning sheets (for long and medium term), then individual planning for each child, following from their observations... you see what they are interested in, listen to what they are saying, ask parents what is going on at home, talk to other settings etc... and write up a plan for them.

It does not need to be complicated or long winded or filling in boxes. If you have a planning sheet with loads of boxes and you can't work out how to use it, then simplify it!

It really isn't important how you set it out so long as you can make it work and when you show it to Ofsted they see you are ...

1. Working to the child's interests / learning styles etc;

2. Listening to what the child, parents and others say;

3. Covering all 6 areas of learning and development.

:D

misst104
25-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Sarah. Really helpful advice, as always :)

xxx

FizzysFriends
25-03-2009, 01:49 PM
For the long term planning, should we be aiming for 1 think a month or a week or more?

Thinking April - Easter and Spring, is that enough?

sarah707
25-03-2009, 01:50 PM
For the long term planning, should we be aiming for 1 think a month or a week or more?

Thinking April - Easter and Spring, is that enough?

It's up to you and depends how many children you look after and what they are like.

Some children will go through activities like nothing has been planned and be bored straight away... they need new challenges all the time.

Other children will get an idea in their head and run with it for weeks...

So long as you can show why you do what you do and it works for you it will be fine! :D

HomefromHome
25-03-2009, 01:52 PM
superwoman to the rescue again - thanku sarah:clapping:

Polka Dots
25-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Thank you Sarah, the breakdown you've given is helpful because I've been struggling not really knowing where to start. :)

Shar
25-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Sarah, spot on advice as usual!! :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
25-03-2009, 01:56 PM
It's up to you and depends how many children you look after and what they are like.

Some children will go through activities like nothing has been planned and be bored straight away... they need new challenges all the time.

Other children will get an idea in their head and run with it for weeks...

So long as you can show why you do what you do and it works for you it will be fine! :D

Im doing to keep ofsted happy, the kids prefer to spend hours on the trampoline and slide!

Long Term planning sounds the easiest of the lot so will attempt that tonight, might give me a but more confidence to attempt the others.

Twinkles
25-03-2009, 07:18 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/bowing/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/bowing/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/bowing/2.gif

The offer to come and live in my spare room is still open you know :D

her8y
25-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Thank you Sarah. Now I know where to start.....:) doesnt seem so daunting.

Happy Feet
26-03-2009, 10:44 AM
thanks for that info....very useful as always xx

mrs c
27-03-2009, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=sarah707;373328]
Your short term planning is about meeting each child's needs on the day. That's why I say don't write up too much... things might change and then I would feel like I'd wasted my time!

Yep, good advice. My planning sheets are full of crossing outs because things change.

Thanks for this Sarah - will def try doing this :thumbsup:

kiddywink
27-03-2009, 11:13 AM
I thought there had now been changes so that childminder's didn't have to do planning? I read ofsted bulletin on this forum? getting confusing!:panic:

sarah707
27-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I thought there had now been changes so that childminder's didn't have to do planning? I read ofsted bulletin on this forum? getting confusing!:panic:

To meet the requirements of the eyfs you have to show...

1. A progression of a child's learning and development;

2. That you meet the requirements of Principle 3.1 of the Eyfs which is titled 'Observation, assessment and planning'.

Have a look at the Principle card - it will be in your Eyfs pack. It should give you lots of ideas.

Remember that my ways are not the only ways of doing things!

They are written after lots of research with Ofsted inspectors, people who have had inspections, good practice taken from all over the place, other outstanding childminders and my own ways of making sure I meet all the requirements...

What I try to do most is to make the whole thing do-able, find easy ways round things, make sure the paperwork is as simplified as possible so we have more time to play... that's what is important isn't it?

I hope this clarifies :D

Polly2
27-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks sarah as always!

kiddywink
29-03-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks for the advice sarah!

elliemay
29-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Can you please tell me is it a requirement to plan for under 3s and if it is HOW....thanks

sarah707
29-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Can you please tell me is it a requirement to plan for under 3s and if it is HOW....thanks

Good question!

Under 3s planning is almost totally based around...

1. The child's needs, wants and interests (personal planning) including what others are saying and your observations;

2. Your continuous provision resources... the stuff you have out every day that you can enhance to make it more exciting for the child.

So J is 1 and mum says at home she plays with some balls in a ball pit... you could provide different colours and shapes and sizes of balls for J. This is working to what the parents say and enhancing what you already offer to meet J's individual needs.

Does that make sense? :D

sunflower
29-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Thank you Sarah....your a star :clapping:

elliemay
29-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks Sarah.....I appreciate your help

sue
29-03-2009, 08:15 PM
WOW :clapping: thats great thankyou

dianeb73
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
HELP PLEASE!!

I have just finished the EYFS course run by ncma and am still none the wiser on what to do. I look after a 6mth,1yr and 3yr old whqat planning should i be doing , obs, etc and how do i set it out does anyone have any forms all ready done to look at etc this is really stressing me out and all i need is some advice on where to start and have to set it up and whay]t is learning jourey what has to go in folder t]etc...:mad: :(

estrelas
01-04-2009, 12:20 PM
diane the best thing to do is not think about it :laughing: :laughing:
It is all confusing but i think thats cos we are thinking too much about it

Just start at the begining make some observations simple ones, write them down and then add a next step,
For learning journey just keep the childrens work, put it in a scrap book, write little notes next to some of them

Dunno if thats right to be honest :laughing: :laughing: but its what i'm doing
Just make it really easy for you!

To be honest the best thing i done was buy sarahs ebook, eyfs and planning, Completely fab!1 all the forms and things you need to get an idea of what to do

I don't think there is a wrong way of doing it just make it easy xxx

son77
01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
To meet the requirements of the eyfs you have to show...

1. A progression of a child's learning and development;

2. That you meet the requirements of Principle 3.1 of the Eyfs which is titled 'Observation, assessment and planning'.

Have a look at the Principle card - it will be in your Eyfs pack. It should give you lots of ideas.

Remember that my ways are not the only ways of doing things!

They are written after lots of research with Ofsted inspectors, people who have had inspections, good practice taken from all over the place, other outstanding childminders and my own ways of making sure I meet all the requirements...

What I try to do most is to make the whole thing do-able, find easy ways round things, make sure the paperwork is as simplified as possible so we have more time to play... that's what is important isn't it?

I hope this clarifies :D

My local childminding group met with our local MP over planning & he wrote to Ofsted. Their reply was NO childminders don't have to do written planning (I have seen the letter Ofsted wrote).
I am guessing though if that is the case, the best grade we would get would be satisfactory.

sarah707
01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
My local childminding group met with our local MP over planning & he wrote to Ofsted. Their reply was NO childminders don't have to do written planning (I have seen the letter Ofsted wrote).
I am guessing though if that is the case, the best grade we would get would be satisfactory.

I was listening to an Ofsted person say this today as well...

BUT the inspector I was talking to said quite clearly that they are told to evaluate us on 3 things...

1. Documentation;

2. Discussion;

3. Observation.

I think it depends on what grade you want to get as well :D

Allie
04-04-2009, 01:44 PM
As usual Sarahs explanation is fantastic

Allie

SandCastles
05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Thank you for the wonderful advice, I am going to attempt some long term planning this evening and take it from there.:happy banana:

SandCastles
05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Thank you for the wonderful advice, I am going to attempt some long term planning this evening and take it from there.:happy banana:

The evening has been and gone and I've not even started planning, maybe tomorrow!:panic: