PDA

View Full Version : EYFS assessment for final year

son77
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I was reading through the EYFS last night and was stunned when I came to 'The Assessment Arrangements' part.

It goes on about how we have to sum up each childs development & learning achievements at the end of the EYFS using the 13 assessment scales which each has 9 points.

Does the EYFS training explain how we go about doing this?

Do we get some sort of format to follow so we know what the hell we are doing & if we are doing it right etc etc??

Sorry if I sound a bit abrupt but I really think they are taking the p*ss expecting childminders to carry out this & all the other planning/obs that we gotta do on such a small wage per hour when we have kids round our feet & our own family to look after blah blah blah.

After I read this (& 3 glasses of wine later) I told my hubby that I may have to re think childminding & look at my other options (which I really don't want to do).

Can anyone explain this to me better & make me feel calmer about the whole situation?

Thanks xx

LittleMissSparkles
05-02-2008, 09:02 PM
oh god the more i ear the more i dont like the eyfs already and wonder how long I will be minding for, it feels like in the end actually looking after the children will be far less time that is spent on paperwork etc.....

sarah707
05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
This is for the child's main setting - the place where the child spends most time - usually nursery or reception class...

Childminders would only be expected to do this if we were accredited... and then we would have support and training :D

deeb66
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Sarah has just beaten me to it!!....exactly what I was going to say:)

Rubybubbles
05-02-2008, 09:11 PM
This is for the child's main setting - the place where the child spends most time - usually nursery or reception class...

Childminders would only be expected to do this if we were accredited... and then we would have support and training :D

thats what I would of said,only not so clever:laughing:

Lincsminder
05-02-2008, 09:11 PM
This happens at the end of reception which pretty much all children attend so you don't need to worry about that bit.

RainbowMum
05-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Thats just what I was thinking Sarah - at the final year of the eyfs will be what is now the Reception year will it not?

Mind you our new children's centre is advertising at the minute - I am sorely tempted - I can earn a little more than I currently am doing (not quite full & only have 2 under 5 spaces till Sept 2009) and it would only be 30 hours as appossed to the 24/7 it seems at the mo! There are 2 things stopping me applying - the parents/children I would be letting down and the extra I can earn when full and from next year!

son77
05-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks girls, that sounds better!!

I'm still a bit confused on this bit............

'This must be completed in the final term of the year in which the child reaches the age of 5 and no later than 30th June in that term'.

So if you had a child who's birthday was in Sept & therefore would we almost 5 when they start school, would be then have to do this assessment thingy?

Wish they would write these books in simple english!!

Also am I right in thinking that in Sept 08 the national standard books are replaced with the new EYFS book?

Sorry if I'm sounding thick tonight!

sarah707
05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks girls, that sounds better!!

I'm still a bit confused on this bit............

'This must be completed in the final term of the year in which the child reaches the age of 5 and no later than 30th June in that term'.

So if you had a child who's birthday was in Sept & therefore would we almost 5 when they start school, would be then have to do this assessment thingy?

It's all down to ages for school years... so depends on birthdays... August birthdays go in the next school year

Wish they would write these books in simple english!!

I totally agree!

Also am I right in thinking that in Sept 08 the national standard books are replaced with the new EYFS book?

Yes

Sorry if I'm sounding thick tonight!

No you're not, if you don't ask you will never find out!

..................:D

son77
05-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks Sarah xx

Cheeky Chops
05-02-2008, 09:45 PM
the national standards are being replaced....... news flash!! really?!

but will they still have most of the content or am i gunna have to re do aaaaallll my policies to fit in with it??! oh my...

katickles
05-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I've been reading through all my books & paperwork over the weekend & last couple of days, from what i can make the standards are re-placed by the eyfs, but remain mostly the same, just either grouped together or named slightly differently :)

As for all our policies I was thinking of just renamiing them, or adding them together :panic:

son77
05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Well they obviously think we have nothing better to do than paperwork, paperwork & more paperwork!

sarah707
05-02-2008, 10:05 PM
They still stay in the Every Child Matters groups... but....

no standard numbers! :eek:

I like numbers... I don't like wishy washy... I might have to number them myself :laughing:

deeb66
06-02-2008, 08:53 AM
They still stay in the Every Child Matters groups... but....

no standard numbers! :eek:

I like numbers... I don't like wishy washy... I might have to number them myself :laughing:

I too like the numbers Sarah as it makes it easier to link with ECM.....might have to follow suit and give them numbers too:thumbsup: