PDA

View Full Version : IDEAS FOR YOUR POLICIES AND PROCEDURES - UPDATED 01.2013

angeldelight
24-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I have had a few messages over the last few weeks asking where certain policies go etc and how confusing some of you are finding it now we have the new requirements.

Thought this might help - it’s only guidance and you may not want to include everything or you might think of other things to include.

The Every Child Matters outcomes a lot of childminders used to use are not relevant any more so you might need to find a new way of setting them out.

You can link your Policies and Procedures to the requirements of the EYFS or put them in alphabetical order. However it makes most sense to you.

It is up to YOU

Hope it helps those of you who are struggling though ..............

NEW INFORMATION - OFSTED JAN 2013

We now have a list of the policies and procedures which are required by Ofsted.

It is detailed in Ofsted factsheet 120412 (dated Jan 2013) -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Records, policies and notification requirements of the Early Years Register (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-records-policies-and-notification-requirements-of-early-years-register).

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT - the factsheet says the same as the EYFS 2012 - childminder policies and procedures do not need to be in writing but must be explained to parents, assistants and Ofsted on request.

However, a footnote at the bottom of page 4 of the factsheet states - ‘Unless the childminder is registered on the Childcare Register. For this register the policies and procedures should be in writing.’

The majority of childminders are registered on both the Early Years (EYFS) and Childcare Registers and must comply with the requirements of BOTH registers. You can check your Ofsted registration by looking up your URN number on the Ofsted website.

The list of policies and procedures required by Ofsted (in alphabetical order) includes -
• Behaviour management - this is the best place to talk about how you record physical intervention
• Concerns and complaints procedure - this procedure MUST be shared with parents if the child is on the Childcare Register
• Emergency evacuation of the premises
• Equality of opportunity - for the Childcare Register it must include information about how you support children with learning difficulties and disabilities
• Failure to collect - often called a ‘Late Arriving Parent’ procedure
• Health and safety - relating to accidents, hazards and faulty equipment
• Medication administration - - for the Childcare Register it must include details about how you support individual children with medical needs - see Ofsted factsheet for more info (doc 080290)
• Missing child - your procedures if you lose a child
• Risk assessment - see Ofsted RA factsheet for more information (doc 120334)
• Safeguarding children - - for the Childcare Register it must include the procedures to be followed in the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff. For the EYFS 2012 it must include information about mobile phone and camera use. This procedure MUST be shared with parents if the child is on the Childcare Register
• Smoking
• Visitors - checking the identity of visitors

You must take note of the wording in the EYFS 2012, the Childcare Register 2012 and any factsheets and further information produced by Ofsted when writing your policies and procedures. You might also be given support by your Local Authority especially regarding safeguarding - ask them for further advice and information.

Note - it is important that these policies and procedures are read and understood by parents - Ofsted might ask parents to discuss them during your inspection.

For the Childcare Register you MUST inform parents about -
• Your registration on the voluntary part of the Register
• Other childminders or places they can send their child if you are ill

Other Policies and Procedures you MIGHT want to write because they are mentioned in the EYFS 2012 include -
• Accident and injury
• Working in partnership with parents and other settings

To help you in your working relationship with parents you MIGHT want to write more Policies and Procedures to share information about -
• Admissions
• Alcohol and drugs
• Anti-bullying
• Care, learning and play
• Childminder sickness
• Confidentiality
• Dental hygiene
• Departure
• Dropping off and collection
• E-safety
• Fees including information about late payment
• Head lice
• Healthy eating
• Hygiene
• Language development / English as an additional language
• Large garden equipment
• Nappy / toilet training
• Observation
• Over 8s
• Overnight care
• Pets
• Safety on outings
• Sand pit
• Settling in
• Sick children
• Sleeping babies and children
• Sun protection
• Swimming pool
• Television / video games / computer use
• Trampoline
• Transporting children in a car

Permission forms you MUST write include -
• Administering medication
• Outings
• Leaving assistants alone with children

Permission forms you MIGHT want to write include -
• Sun cream
• Dental Hygiene
• Photographs
• Large garden equipment
• Trampoline
• Swimming pool
• Crèche

Other information you MUST share with parents includes -
• How the EYFS is being delivered in the setting
• How parents can access more information - for example, via the DfE website
• The range and type of activities and experiences provided for children
• Your daily routines
• How parents and carers can share learning at home
• How you support children with special educational needs and disabilities
• Food and drinks provided for children - a copy of your menu for example
• Staffing details
• The name of their child’s key person and their role
• A telephone number for parents and/or carers to contact in an emergency.

Other information that MIGHT be useful to show new parents includes -
• Details and photographs of the range of toys provided
• Details of local toddler groups / stay and plays attended
• How you record the child's development through the Early Years Foundation Stage
• 5 a day chart
• Childhood immunisations list from the Health visitor
• Details of how to safely make up bottles
• Notifiable diseases list
• Leaflets and booklets from the Health Protection Agency
• List of things they need to bring
• NSPCC information
• House / garden rules
• Parents questionnaires
• Parents poster from Ofsted
• Copies of newsletters
• Samples of contact books / diaries
• Certificate of registration
• Ofsted inspection report
• Physical intervention report form sample
• CRB disclosures - thesee are now called DBS checks (from Dec 2012)
• Childminding insurance certificate / car insurance
• Invoice sample
• Attendance record sheet
• Individual needs / care plan
• Accident / injury report form sample
• Contracts
• Child record forms / All about Me
• Certificates of qualifications and training attended
• Copy of the EYFS 2012
• ‘Know How’ guide to the 2 year progress check
• Copy of the Childcare Register 2012 - Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Requirements for the Childcare Register: childminders and home childcarers (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-requirements-for-childcare-register-childminders-and-home-childcarers) - this has been updated!!

ANGEL AND SARAH

anneriddington
24-03-2009, 12:20 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Angel, you are certainly living up to your name, I have been meaning to sort my policies under the 5 titles you have halped me loads.

huggableshelly
24-03-2009, 12:22 PM
giggles she maybe an ANGEL doing this for us all but a DEVIL on other boards!!

Ty Angel i think mine are set up as you have suggested but going to check over the wkend, good excuse to have a sort out lol.

cherry
24-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you Angel, something I must sort out :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
24-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh my goodness think I really need to get my policys dusted out and reviewed think I may need a drink too......But seriously thank you shamed to admit it dont think I would have ever thought of that!!!!!

charleyfarley
24-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Angel :thumbsup: This is on my to do list and tbh I've been putting it off

Carol xx

grindal
24-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for that! I am just in the process of sorting my folders and paperwork for my very first mindee starting after Easter. You have saved me loads of time!!

mumof4
24-03-2009, 02:49 PM
thankyou for that, i am just reviewing my policies at the mo,great advice:)

Ripeberry
24-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks Angel that is very usefull! :)

breezy
24-03-2009, 08:01 PM
thank you Angel x

sue
24-03-2009, 08:41 PM
wow thats helpful thanks

donnadoo2004200
24-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Youre Great:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

sonia ann
25-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Brilliant thank you. much more comprehensive than my current list:clapping:

kiddywink
25-03-2009, 10:14 PM
wow! Better get to work on updating!:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Cazz
26-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks Angel - I am STILL writing my policies and have got to around 35 now and by the looks of that list a few more to add!

I went on an EYFS course a couple of weeks ago and I asked one of the tutors a question regarding policies and mentioned how many I have and she said she only has about 8 and maybe I should book onto a course with regards to policies! How does she get away with only 8 policies?

She never did really answer my question so I think I'll stick to coming on here and asking people on the forum who will help!

Carole x

mummyroysof3
26-03-2009, 12:56 PM
8????? i have 37 and will need to do another when i get my garden registered, i am doing a short(lol) into for each section to give parents to take away but that will prob be 10 pages as there is 5 sections :laughing:

charlotte x

buildingblocks
26-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks Angel - I am STILL writing my policies and have got to around 35 now and by the looks of that list a few more to add!

I went on an EYFS course a couple of weeks ago and I asked one of the tutors a question regarding policies and mentioned how many I have and she said she only has about 8 and maybe I should book onto a course with regards to policies! How does she get away with only 8 policies?

She never did really answer my question so I think I'll stick to coming on here and asking people on the forum who will help!

Carole x

Possibly the ones thay you have to have for hte EYFS Welfare requirements.

I won't say how many I have but I just wish I could so short and succinct instead of long and winded..

Angel having spent the day trying to update mine (note to self do a few and often rather than all in one go) and only on the Letter E (yes they are in alphabetical order at the moment) in answer to what to do with them I am thinking hte bin lol

willsy
26-03-2009, 08:03 PM
thanks angel, you are a star:littleangel:

estrelas
30-03-2009, 01:39 PM
princess read this, should really help you x

angeldelight
06-04-2009, 12:37 PM
These might help you babymimi

Angel xx

miffy
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
That's great Angel

Well done, as always

Miffy xx

SandCastles
14-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Thank you very much, I had no idea what I was doing with my paperwork :blush: but now I do, it makes so much sense. Why didn't I think of that before? :blush:

jibberjitz
14-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Sounds like a good way to organise P&P's - need to sort out mine as not even in alphabetical order :blush:

Demonjill
14-04-2009, 09:35 PM
OMG you have loads.LOL

Thanx Angel.:thumbsup:

Sworny1
15-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi Angel

This has been a massive help, i've got my inspection next week, loads to still to sort out. I've registered on here today to get help and it's brill. thanks agains :clapping:

Jules12Wed
16-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh my goodness I make that approx 70 policies!!!! I've only got about 12!

angeldelight
16-04-2009, 06:57 AM

Does that mean you have to get typing now ?

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

johanna77
17-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Thank you so much, i was getting so confused with it all, got my first grading inspecton coming up soon, so hopefully this will be in a step in the right direction to help with the organisation as well. :)

huggableshelly
17-04-2009, 11:21 AM

I have way too many

maybe you have combined quite a few in one!

I know I need to condense mine and working on them sorta

geordiebunny
17-05-2009, 03:05 PM
thanks for this a real big help, as always this place is a godsend

wellybelly
17-05-2009, 03:13 PM
ECM order is the easiest way to categorise policies and procedures.

Peppa
17-05-2009, 07:34 PM
just spent the best part of 2 and a half hours sorting out my policies and stuff only to realise I have missed lots out! doh!

Angel this is very helpful thank you very much for the help!!! Don't know what I would have done without you! (probably less paper work :laughing: )

angeldelight
19-05-2009, 08:55 AM
just spent the best part of 2 and a half hours sorting out my policies and stuff only to realise I have missed lots out! doh!

Angel this is very helpful thank you very much for the help!!! Don't know what I would have done without you! (probably less paper work :laughing: )

Hey dont blame me ha ha

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Minstrel
19-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks so much for this Angel- very useful and glad someone bumped it as i looked for something like this a while ago with no luck :thumbsup:

Andrea08
19-05-2009, 10:27 AM
ECM order is the easiest way to categorise policies and procedures.

thank you so much for sharing all your hard work it must of took you ages to type that out,,,

i will put my policy file into this order with deviders for each area could bo my evaluations in the same order too,,,

again many thanks xxx

julie w
19-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi are these all the policies you would put in a book to show parents, or is it mainly for ofsted to look at ? Thankyou.x.

angeldelight
19-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi are these all the policies you would put in a book to show parents, or is it mainly for ofsted to look at ? Thankyou.x.

I would show them both to parents and Ofsted

Angel xx

Toothfairy
19-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Angel your an ANGEL!!! Thank you :thumbsup:

johanna77
23-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Thank you so much for your ideas on where to put Policies and Procedures, Angel.
Just had Ofsted inspection and the inspector said that they were more comprehensive than some of the nurseries she had seen.

Jo xx
:)

Peppa
23-05-2009, 05:26 PM
childminding co ordinator came to see me and after re organising the folder she said don't mix policies and parent info! Also do you all have 1 policy per page, I have kinda made mine into a booklet so that all the safe follow on till the next, full page heading showing next section. She said one policy per page. But thats just gonna waste loads of paper if i have to print all again

watgem
23-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh thank you so much for sharing this:)

angeldelight
22-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Bumping up for those of you that asked me for this

Angel xx

zillervalley
23-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi

This is the way we have been asked to do it in our area, childminder co-ordinator came with a pack and went through it, i did all the policies named before my inspection, my inspector said there was nothing i hadnt thought of,
a lot of work ladies but worth it in the end,

angeldelight
05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
There you go

Bumping this back up for you

Angel xx

sweets
05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
i never thought to put them into different sections before, but am planning a BIG paperwork overhaul these hols so will have a go at doing that.

I said i am planning it but i amy not actually happen!:laughing: i keep putting it off.

fun house
08-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Thank you i have just been sorting out my polices and i did not know that they need to go in some sort of order.

sarah707
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Thank you i have just been sorting out my polices and i did not know that they need to go in some sort of order.

/they can go in any order you want!

I have a friend who was graded outstanding recently who put hers in alphabetical order.

This is just one idea... so long as the way you set them out makes sense to you and is accessible to Ofsted :D

lucystar
14-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm looking for software to help with record keeping, the nursery ones are not relivent and not confident information would be sole to my computer. want one I down load and does reconnect with net. any ideas. trying to be more paper free to help with updating info as I'm dyslexic and find this area of business difficult.:blush:

Twinkle
05-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks Angel, have just found this thread.

Great idea, I can see some dusting and re-arranging coming up! :jump for joy:

angeldelight
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Bumping up

Angel xx

nic76
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
i didnt think we needed so many.

janminder
07-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I thought I had a lot, dont think that now.

Twinkle
10-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I have the perfect place to put my policies and procedures . . . . .

I just need Mrs Ofsted to bend over :D

ORKSIE
10-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I have the perfect place to put my policies and procedures . . . . .

I just need Mrs Ofsted to bend over :D

:ROFL1: :ROFL1:
Naughty Naighty......But very Funny:jump for joy:

mumof4
11-10-2009, 07:59 PM
thankyou so much, a great help:)

katiekid
13-10-2009, 09:19 PM
OMG, Angel you have just saved my life with that info, i have been worrying for weeks,definately Angel by name, Angel by nature
thanks very much x:jump for joy:

Suebb1
08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Thought I was quite organised but after reading this lot think I may have to pull my socks up abit. Many thanks x

Desi-101
08-12-2009, 09:25 PM
You are such a little :littleangel: I thank my angels everyday for leading me to this site!

thanks

doodles
09-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Angel, Thankyou sooo much for this info! This is prob a daft question but are the colours of the hexagons in order to the 5 areas. Blue = Healthy Child, Red = Safe child?
Many Thanks

doodles
15-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Just bumping up to see if anyone can answer my above question soi can put the coloured hexagon on my paperwork that relates to each area. Thanks

The Juggler
16-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Just bumping up to see if anyone can answer my above question soi can put the coloured hexagon on my paperwork that relates to each area. Thanks

haven't read this whole thread but have you checked out the free EYFS software - you can google or access through childsplaymanager.com. It gives you a record for each child, by age range on pull down menus and then by area of learning. It gives you all the expected goals and you can type your evidence underneath. Then you just print the reports as and when you want.

It's great.

Daisy1956
21-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Thought I was organised until I read Angel's list .Guess how I am going to spend my christmas hols.

mrs robbie williams
23-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Angel im waiting to go on my first aid course in March and then i'll be having the dreaded Ofsted visit :panic: do I make a folder with all these policies in? is this what they will want to see? sorry if silly question lol its soooooo much to take in :idea: xx

linda2girls
28-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I've just had Ofsted round for the pre-reg visit. It is helpful to have some of the main policies ready, especially Safeguarding. I was asked a lot of questions and she was happy that I referred to my paperwork.

Linda.

68nic
02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Linda,
I am also pre reg.Early Years are going to phone me in the morning as I have to answer two questions, 1 is to list all the safeguarding Policies and Procedures. Could you let me know what you have written down for safeguarding I have some but dont want to miss anything out.
2, Is how would I communicate to a parent who cant speak English. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated from anyone
Nic x

SJ35
03-03-2010, 02:14 PM
thats so helpfull- thanks so much - i'm still waiting to go on my briefing session but its really useful to see what i have to do.:)
Stace x x

monkey62
16-03-2010, 01:02 AM
I always thaught I have a good system for my policies but your seems to be much better ...
Thanks you

Emz
19-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Wow ive just seen this and think its great, thanks for sharing and i will understand a bit more now with how lovely and simple you have broken it down. Thanks

Leanne59
20-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow thats great thanks for sharing!

hscott6
25-03-2010, 11:00 AM
thanks for that is is really helpful. I am just starting out and finding all the paper work a bit much. I not sure what i need to have and what i don't??? i have a policy file and child's record file and health and safety???

many thanks
H

KAZBAZ55
27-03-2010, 10:04 AM
ANGEL YOUR A STAR....THANK YOU X:littleangel:

moljak
07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Guess what I'm doing this weekend :clapping: :laughing:

vicki1
12-05-2010, 10:51 AM
thanks thats help loads

angeldelight
13-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Here it is t

Bumping up

xx

sweets
14-07-2010, 06:49 AM
thats brill, thankyou :thumbsup:

Tink
14-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Oh I do love this site:D
I've been meaning to sort out my policies for ages now and seen as I have the day off today, I'll do it today:clapping:

Does anyone have any dividers for the Every Child Matters sections? or know where I can get them from?

littletreasures
14-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Do you do a standard policy handbook for all children and just write n/a on the ones that don't apply to the children the handbook is for or do you do a handbook and just not include those policies not needed?

Sorry if I confuse you with this question. Tried to put it a different way but I even confused myself!!

flowerpots
14-07-2010, 08:14 PM
just come across this and it is going to help me soooooooooooooo much.
thank you:littleangel:

jake
16-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Thankyou so much angel thats just what i needed,better get to it then as iv got my pre-inspection on wednesday.Thanks again
Jake::clapping:

zoomzoom
19-11-2010, 10:24 PM
This list is very comprehensive, would having this many policies not put parents off? Do they really want to read a novel before deciding if you are the right person?
I have written 10 so far, and am just so confused as some people have so many I wouldn't know where to start where others have just a few pages worth? As a parent to an 18 month old I have visited childminders and nurseries and have never been shown more than a handful?
:panic: :panic: :panic:

HopscotchCaren
09-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Brill Brill Brill - thank you !:)

hassiba
21-01-2011, 05:31 PM
thank you angel that was very cheery helpfull:clapping:

Kirstylob
17-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Brilliant information. My policies etc needed a bit of an update and after reading this they will get a major overhaul! you have many more than I do, but some that I should include. i really like the idea of putting them into sections of ECM. I also note at the bottom of all my policies/prodedures which area they relate too, i.e a unique child etc.
Many long nights ahead I think!

angeldelight
17-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Brilliant information. My policies etc needed a bit of an update and after reading this they will get a major overhaul! you have many more than I do, but some that I should include. i really like the idea of putting them into sections of ECM. I also note at the bottom of all my policies/prodedures which area they relate too, i.e a unique child etc.
Many long nights ahead I think!

Dont forget you do not need them all some might not apply to your setting

These are only for guidance

Glad you found the list useful though

Angel xx

Konoko
19-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Hmm.. I might have to do some paperwork again!
Thank you Angel, you are truly amazing!!
Is it just me or do we have loads of paperwork that just pops up everytime I read a new topic? Or I'm the one who needs to research some bits and pieces?:o

Paula1974
24-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Absolutely fabtastic, thank you Angel:jump for joy:

I did have my policies sorted this way before, then we were given Childminder Tool kits from our development worker but have never liked the way they are set out so think I am going to change them back to the ECM way.

Paula1974

*daisychain*
05-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you, as a newcomer thats really helped me x

HCMS Em Howard
06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi i am at pre reg stage i am trying to do my risk assessments. I am aware i need to do risk assessments for all the rooms where the children will be able to access how should i set my risk assessment out hope you can help many thanks

jocdixon
14-03-2012, 08:51 PM
thanks,
I think I will put my policies under the 5 outcomes now you have simplified it for me!

ammie
22-03-2012, 04:21 PM
In the hope of me not coming over a stupid, can anyone help me to see the ideas. Where are they?:blush:

sarah707
22-03-2012, 06:01 PM
In the hope of me not coming over a stupid, can anyone help me to see the ideas. Where are they?:blush:

Hi ammie I am not sure what you are asking...

The first post on the thread has some suggestions for where you might like to file Policies and Procedures using the Every child matters outcomes.

You might use alphabetical order, the Eyfs or any other filing method that makes sense to you as well.

Please ask again if you are not sure.

Hope this helps! :D

Smiley
23-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I have very recently introduced a new file linked to the 5 welfare requirements listed all the specific legal requirements under each of them and put policies in appropriate sections.
It certainly made it very easier to find everything and all the necessary paperwork is in one place and importantly it makes sure that all the legal requirements are easily accessible

lohia
18-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Thats a fantastic idea....i have an inspection soon so hopefully Ofsted will be impressed thanks so much :laughing:

ZoeM
16-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Thank you soooooo much, you are an actual :littleangel: I have my pre-reg visit in a weeks time and am really nervous!! But that has made me more at ease with my organisational matters!!!!

angeldelight
12-09-2012, 09:44 PM
THESE ARE NOW UPDATED FOR 2012

Thanks for you help Sarah :clapping:

Hope everyone finds this useful

Angel xxx

teacake2
13-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I am struggling at the moment, too many hassles where are the updated parts please?:blush::blush::blush:
Teacake2

teacake2
13-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Oops found it thank you, told you was having bad vibes at the moment.:blush::blush:
Teacake2

angeldelight
13-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I am struggling at the moment, too many hassles where are the updated parts please?:blush::blush::blush:
Teacake2

The first post on the first page ......it's all now updated.
The old ideas have now been deleted

Angel xx

angeldelight
13-09-2012, 05:19 PM
UPDATED

I have had a few messages over the last few weeks asking where certain policies go etc and how confusing some of you are finding it now we have the new requirements.

Thought this might help - it’s only guidance and you may not want to include everything or you might think of other things to include.

The Every Child Matters outcomes a lot of childminders used to use are not relevant any more so you might need to find a new way of setting them out.

You can link your Policies and Procedures to the requirements of the EYFS or put them in alphabetical order. However it makes most sense to you.

It is up to YOU

Hope it helps those of you who are struggling though ..............

These are the MUST HAVE policies and procedures for the Childcare Register 2010. If you are registered on the Childcare Register these must be in writing….
• Safeguarding / Child Protection policy and procedures - for the Childcare Register it must include the procedures to be followed in the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff. For the EYFS 2012 it must include information about mobile phone and camera use.
• Equality of opportunities policy - for the Childcare Register it must include information about how you support children with learning difficulties and disabilities
• Administering medication policy - for the Childcare Register it must include information about how you support individual children with medical needs
• Behaviour management policy
• Concerns and complaints procedure
• Procedure to be followed in the event of a parent failing to collect a child at the appointed time - often called a ‘Late Arriving Parent’ procedure
• Missing child procedure
• Emergency evacuation procedure.

For the Childcare Register you MUST inform parents about -
• Your registration on the voluntary part of the Register
• Other childminders or places they can send their child if you are ill

Other Policies and Procedures you MIGHT want to write because they are mentioned in the EYFS 2012 include -
• No smoking
• Risk assessments
• Accident and injury
• Physical intervention
• Visitors in my home
• Working in partnership with parents

To help you in your working relationship with parents you MIGHT want to write more Policies and Procedures to share information about -
• Admissions
• Alcohol and drugs
• Anti-bullying
• Care, learning and play
• Childminder sickness
• Confidentiality
• Dental hygiene
• Departure
• Dropping off and collection
• E-safety
• Fees including information about late payment
• Head lice
• Healthy eating
• Hygiene
• Language development / English as an additional language
• Large garden equipment
• Nappy / toilet training
• Observation
• Over 8s
• Overnight care
• Pets
• Safety on outings
• Sand pit
• Settling in
• Sick children
• Sleeping babies and children
• Sun protection
• Swimming pool
• Television / video games / computer use
• Trampoline
• Transporting children in a car

Permission forms you MUST write include -
• Administering medication
• Outings
• Leaving assistants alone with children

Permission forms you MIGHT want to write include -
• Sun cream
• Dental Hygiene
• Photographs
• Large garden equipment
• Trampoline
• Swimming pool
• Crèche

Other information you MUST share with parents includes -
• How the EYFS is being delivered in the setting
• How parents can access more information - for example, via the DfE website
• The range and type of activities and experiences provided for children
• Your daily routines
• How parents and carers can share learning at home
• How you support children with special educational needs and disabilities
• Food and drinks provided for children - a copy of your menu for example
• Staffing details
• The name of their child’s key person and their role
• A telephone number for parents and/or carers to contact in an emergency.

Other information that MIGHT be useful to show new parents includes -
• Details and photographs of the range of toys provided
• Details of local toddler groups / stay and plays attended
• How you record the child's development through the Early Years Foundation Stage
• 5 a day chart
• Childhood immunisations list from the Health visitor
• Details of how to safely make up bottles
• Notifiable diseases list
• Leaflets and booklets from the Health Protection Agency
• List of things they need to bring
• NSPCC information
• House / garden rules
• Parents questionnaires
• Parents poster from Ofsted
• Copies of newsletters
• Samples of contact books / diaries
• Certificate of registration
• Ofsted inspection report
• Physical intervention report form sample
• CRB disclosures
• Childminding insurance certificate / car insurance
• Invoice sample
• Attendance record sheet
• Individual needs / care plan
• Accident / injury report form sample
• Contracts
• Child record forms / All about Me
• Certificates of qualifications and training attended
• Copy of the EYFS 2012
• ‘Know How’ guide to the 2 year progress check
• Copy of the Childcare Register 2010

UPDATED WITH INPUT FROM SARAH

ANGEL AND SARAH

sarah707
13-09-2012, 07:14 PM
THESE ARE NOW UPDATED FOR 2012

Thanks for you help Sarah :clapping:

Hope everyone finds this useful

Angel xxx

Teamwork! :D

Mcgons
14-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Angel/Sarah, please can you point me to the bit in the childcare register where it says about procedure for allegations against staff, I keep reading the requirements (2010) but can't see it - is there an updated list of requirements? I have it in my policy anyway, but just wanted to check it was right. Thanks

UPDATED

These are the MUST HAVE policies and procedures for the Childcare Register 2010. If you are registered on the Childcare Register these must be in writing….
• Safeguarding / Child Protection policy and procedures - for the Childcare Register it must include the procedures to be followed in the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff. For the EYFS 2012 it must include information about mobile phone and camera use.

Bumblez
15-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Thanks Angeldelight this is a big help! :thumbsup:

bulldog
27-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Im aware we need to link a mobile phone/camera policy into our Safeguarding one, but to be honest Im not sure what to put!
I know why its not allowed in Nurseries etc (mobiles etc) but my mobile and camera are always around for obs etc.
My cm friend has linked hers to not allowing her older after schoolies to use them in her home, but I dont take older children :panic::panic:

Any advise or links please.:)

janiceB
27-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you so much for all this info! I wish i'd found this forum along time ago
Janice

clareg
27-09-2012, 08:58 PM
I have put that although i own and use these devices within my setting i will not allow them to be used/viewed by anyone else,during minding hours unsupervised and they are free for inspection. Hope this helps x

sarah707
28-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Im aware we need to link a mobile phone/camera policy into our Safeguarding one, but to be honest Im not sure what to put!
I know why its not allowed in Nurseries etc (mobiles etc) but my mobile and camera are always around for obs etc.
My cm friend has linked hers to not allowing her older after schoolies to use them in her home, but I dont take older children :panic::panic:

Any advise or links please.:)

I have just written about it on my blog -

http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.co.uk/

Hth :D

Lady Haha
30-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Angel and Sarah, thanks for this!

I am all up together with the policies and procedures now, but need to ask a question if I may!

Where it says I MUST inform parents of my registration on the voluntary part of the childcare register, how would I word that and where?

I have in my introduction letter that I am Ofsted registered, but thats all! Should I change it to 'I am Ofsted registered on the compulsory and voluntary childcare registers'? or words to that effect? Could some one good with words help me out here please?

The other thing is the giving details of another childminder who could care for mindees if I'm ill. I gave these details out to all my parents in a newsletter ages ago when I found one and forgot all about it! Should I do a whole new policy regarding that or just tag it on the end of my 'emergency regarding the childminder' one?

Memina
12-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks so much ladies. Just when I thought I was done!!!

This should keep me busy for a while

Thanks again

Dancingqueen
15-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Oh my goodness think I really need to get my policys dusted out and reviewed think I may need a drink too......But seriously thank you shamed to admit it dont think I would have ever thought of that!!!!!

Me neither, love all the help on here. xx

ayesha athar
19-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks you are a genius :clapping:

sarah707
11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
This thread has been updated to include new information about policies and procedures from Ofsted.

This is the latest Ofsted factsheet clarifying the requirements -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Records, policies and notification requirements of the Early Years Register (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-records-policies-and-notification-requirements-of-early-years-register)

You will also find more information in this factsheet -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Requirements for written documents: childminders delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-requirements-for-written-documents-childminders-delivering-early-years-foundatio)

I hope you find it useful :D

twheeler29
16-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks that was really helpful.

Kirstylob
23-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks Sarah. I have printed those 2 documents off and will work through them!