PDA

View Full Version : How many observations do you do and how often?

vix84
20-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Ok, after reading a few posts on here I have decided to take a step back and not overload on written work. I am confident that I implement the EYFS and know how to plan for each child based on their interests, and to use those interests to extend their learning into all the areas.
I probably do a couple of post it note obs a week on each child - example: Child A is 11 months and put one brick on top of the other and then clapped.
I am then thinking of doing 1 or 2 big observations a month per child where I use a photo, tick off the areas met and plan the next steps.

I was wondering how many you do?
And when you do these post it note obs. do you do a next step for them to? It seems a bit silly not too - I do the next steps without thinking, but I dont write them down.

sarah707
20-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I have just finished writing up obs for this week.

I have a part timer one full day and 2 short after school sessions a week - he has an observation about once a month, plus a photo and individual weekly planning.

I have a part timer 3 full days a week - he has one observation from each of the 6 areas of L & D a month plus some notes about individual planning which might also link very brief obs to planning. This is weekly as well... I did used to do daily but it was getting silly.

I then have my group planning but I keep it brief and if it doesn't happen then I don't get upset.

The thing to remember is that obs need to be interesting. There's no point writing an essay for it to sit in a file and never get read or referred to again. It's important to record the special things and make notes about how they link with the Eyfs but not to write reams for no purpose.

hth :D

huggableshelly
20-03-2009, 10:05 AM
i was doing long obs but switched to scrapbooks and pics they are easier to keep uptodate and easier for parents to follow too.

i only do long obs if i feel there is an issue well ongoing rather than long, for example i had a child who was squinting but parents didnt make an appointment so i continued to osbereve planning games to allow me to be sure then requested that parents make an appointment again due to the ogs i had written up, he now wears strength 7 lenses.

photos, post-its, quick comments, link to eyfs folder add the eyfs stage into your book/folder or however you decide to do it. i find having a camera hanging around is the easiest for me, my 4 yr old keeps picking it up and taking pics of me too how embarrasing LOL

vix84
20-03-2009, 10:05 AM
OK - that reminds me - I was also going to aim to do one obs. per child for each area of l and d, so maybe I should do one big obs. per week per child to keep on top of it!

Roseolivia
20-03-2009, 10:10 AM
i was doing long obs but switched to scrapbooks and pics they are easier to keep uptodate and easier for parents to follow too.

i only do long obs if i feel there is an issue well ongoing rather than long, for example i had a child who was squinting but parents didnt make an appointment so i continued to osbereve planning games to allow me to be sure then requested that parents make an appointment again due to the ogs i had written up, he now wears strength 7 lenses.

photos, post-its, quick comments, link to eyfs folder add the eyfs stage into your book/folder or however you decide to do it. i find having a camera hanging around is the easiest for me, my 4 yr old keeps picking it up and taking pics of me too how embarrasing LOL

This is what i do as well.

cuddlybunny38
20-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I finished the eyfs training last night and they said one post it note ob a week and every six weeks a full obs( write up and photo/ picture ect). The weekly post it note has to then go in their learning journel wwhich is given to parents when kiddie leaves.

huggableshelly
20-03-2009, 01:05 PM
got my eyfs training on 26th cant wait now as the last booked sesson was snowed off

Shar
20-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I also do 1 obs per child per week with next steps. ( each childs next steps is their individual planning). I look out for interesting moments and then make a note which may or may not be that childs obs for the week. Every photo I take goes in their learning journey along with their obs and diary of their week's activities.:thumbsup:

sue
20-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Had inspection 3 weeks ago and was told l was doing to many!!!!!! but l feel that 2-3 every fortnight shows everyone that you are doing obsevations think it depends on the inspector what they are hot on!!!!!!

angeldelight
22-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Had inspection 3 weeks ago and was told l was doing to many!!!!!! but l feel that 2-3 every fortnight shows everyone that you are doing obsevations think it depends on the inspector what they are hot on!!!!!!

Yep I agree

I think some think they have to do them every day and thats not so

Angel xx