PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Bulletin

Jules12Wed
16-03-2009, 07:38 PM
You may find this useful. This was sent round by our local network co-ordinator.

helenlc
16-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks - have saved it and will look through properly later!!

kiddywink
16-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Very interesting! Is it basically saying we don't need policies or to do planning and obs? I know it is good practice to do these anyway, but takes the pressure off as they aren't expecting lots of paperwork.

Thanks for sharing:clapping:

sarah707
16-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you for sharing that!

It is clear from reading inspection reports on the Ofsted website that inspectors need to read their own documents! :panic:

scottie
16-03-2009, 08:47 PM
thanks for that i have printed it out and will give it a good read :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
16-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Very interesting! Is it basically saying we don't need policies or to do planning and obs? I know it is good practice to do these anyway, but takes the pressure off as they aren't expecting lots of paperwork.

Thanks for sharing:clapping:

That is exactly what it is saying (as per the EYFS) BUT it is saying that we need to demonstrate how we communciate policies to parents and others and also demonsrate how we effectively plan and record childs l&d.
I personally think the easiest way to effectively communciate all of these is by having the paperwork in place.

kiddywink
16-03-2009, 09:11 PM
That is exactly what it is saying (as per the EYFS) BUT it is saying that we need to demonstrate how we communciate policies to parents and others and also demonsrate how we effectively plan and record childs l&d.
I personally think the easiest way to effectively communciate all of these is by having the paperwork in place.

It says the L & D can be through discussion and daily diaries, not planning or extensive observations. So I suppose its how much we want to put into that, but not compulsory as we have been led to believe? I suppose you could just be writing in a daily diary what activities they have enjoyed and what areas it links too. Then just scrap books with photos and childs work.

Obviously the more you do the better but not necessary to go mad with it!

Lady Haha
16-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Assessment
We do not require childminders to have written plans or to make extensive written assessments about children. We do expect childminders to give parents and other providers where children are receiving the EYFS some feedback in relation to children’s learning and development, using the sort of methods many childminders have used for some time – shared diaries, discussion and so on.

THIS bit I found very interesting! So what it's saying is that schools etc need to be doing the obs and planning and we are required to pass on information to them about the children that may help them with that, but that isn't our role as childminders. And we have been led to believe it was compulsory!!!

I suppose now I've started on it, I may as well continue to a certain extent, but I won't be losing sleep over it now!

EDIT

Just read the link for the January 09 bulletin included on this and that sounds alot more in depth, saying we need to deliver EYFS, we will be inspected against EYFS, we need to be working closely with other provisions etc etc etc, so to be honest, I think it sounds like Ofsted are backtracking in this new bulletin!!!! They must have had complaints about the amount of paperwork childminders were being asked to do and realised it was unreasonable (which it is!) so now they are saying, 'actually, you don't have to do all that really, didn't we say?'

MissTinkerbell
18-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Thats good

I like the idea that we don't need to have written plans - I start each week with good intentions and write a daily plan but by the end of the week its in my head but not written down. For me, with 12 years experience as an Early Years teacher I know what I intend to do the next day and how to move my mindee on, without the need to write it down. The evidence that I have done it is in her learning journey in the form of photos, obs. and pieces she has produced and also written in her daily diary.

I'm pleased that Ofsted have said we don't need written plans (I had my Ofsted in Nov and she said that I'd done above and beyond what I needed to do) and hopefully by the time my next Ofsted is due they will all be singing from the same song sheet and I can get on with doing things with my mindee rather than dooing endless, pointless paperwork.

sue
20-03-2009, 10:34 PM
thanks very interting reading

angeldelight
20-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for that

Angel xx

Twinkles
20-03-2009, 11:09 PM
and hopefully by the time my next Ofsted is due they will all be singing from the same song sheet

:rolleyes: I for one will not be holding my breath.....

huggableshelly
21-03-2009, 06:19 AM
interesting read tyvm

marion123
21-03-2009, 01:07 PM
thanks for that very interesting :)

miss sunshine
21-03-2009, 04:50 PM
thanks for that, very interesting.

Kes
21-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I had my inspection the other week and since then have had a letter from Ofsted about changes to my registration and it says "we intend to remove the following conditions from your registration to provide childminder."

Conditions: must deliver all elements of learning and development requirements unless exemption etc.... Reasons: Condition removed in line with the Early Years Foundation Stage requirements.

i'm asuming this is to do with what the bulletin says. I take it as meaning that we don't need to do planning etc.

kerry

beckyteddy
08-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Thank God!

I've just about got to grips with the observations and have been making notes about what my children might like to do next (linked to the EYFS), but the formal planning has been doing my head in!

sue
09-04-2009, 08:56 PM
thanks, have saved it very interesting