PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journal

Bex1
16-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Am I right in thinking that this is a scrap book of their time with me...I would provide photo's of them doing activities or playing and then write a comment next to it.....i.e. Tommy was painting with his hands today, making a nice card for his daddy for Father's Day and then underneath put what it links to in EYFS i.e. creative development, physical development??????

Therefore I would not need to take a picture every day or write in it every day! Maybe once a month when we do something based on our activities?

Thanks

Allie
16-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I try to record something on each child at least once a week sometimes more depending on the child (some do lots of things at once) I never leave it longer as it's supposed to build up a record of their achievement and give information about them, so it maybe something they said eg one of mine said she wants to be a snowman when she grows up. Some entries may only show their continued efforts to do something, how they are building up skills.

Allie

Bex1
16-03-2009, 07:09 PM
oh ok, right so now I am confused :panic: I am doing a daily diary which will list naps, nappy changes, food they ate, drinks, so parents know what has gone on.

How would you record what a child said in their scrapbook? Sorry I am asking a silly question but my first mindee is this week and I am panicking

sarah707
16-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I often go through the children's learning journeys with them and record their comments ... also they have a lot of input into what photos I use and what notes I put with them.

This runs alongside their diaries and is much more of a keepsake while the diary says what they've done, nappies, food etc. :D

vix84
20-03-2009, 09:50 AM
oh ok, right so now I am confused :panic: I am doing a daily diary which will list naps, nappy changes, food they ate, drinks, so parents know what has gone on.

How would you record what a child said in their scrapbook? Sorry I am asking a silly question but my first mindee is this week and I am panicking

I have a sheet, may have been one of Sarahs actually - and is says 'All about me' and then there are a few boxes. When a child does something a 'wow moment' or the parent tells me something about their child,, I write them in those boxes and then add it into the learning journey files. I will probably also take a photocopy of it, and keep in my planning file as I often use this for their next steps.

For example : Child A's parent comes in and says he saw some sucks and was making 'quack noises all the way here' so I write that down and then my next steps are to get out the bath toy ducks and sing '5 little ducks'

sue
20-03-2009, 10:32 PM
l use lots of photes in there learning jounal and have space for observation and next step on same sheet, also put any are work they keep here in back of folder inspector was happy with this (inspected 3 weeks ago overall grade good)

angeldelight
23-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Hope you are getting the hang of things now ?

Angel xx

huggableshelly
23-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Hope you are getting the hang of things now ?

Angel xx

I wish it was easier :p

Bex1
30-03-2009, 07:11 PM
:panic: Nope still confused!

I thought it would be a scrap book of their time with me i.e. if they had red noses for red nose day I would take a pic and put it in there book! or if they were playing with the sand and making a castle I would take a photo and put it in there and then write a comment and how it links to EYFS.....Is that right or wrong?

Bex

sarah707
30-03-2009, 07:43 PM

I thought it would be a scrap book of their time with me i.e. if they had red noses for red nose day I would take a pic and put it in there book! or if they were playing with the sand and making a castle I would take a photo and put it in there and then write a comment and how it links to EYFS.....Is that right or wrong?

Bex

That's right!

Then, when you have spotted the link to the eyfs, think about how you can help the child to move on.

Plan something exciting eg if they made a castle in sand today they might like to make one in soapflakes tomorrow... if they wore red noses, they might enjoy finding out more about clowns...

Those are next steps and you can observe those and plan for more in a never ending circle :D

angeldelight
30-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Bex

Yes that is what I would do

I have a daily diary that briefly tells the parents what their child has done that day - very brief . What they had to eat, if they slept etc
This is a A4 note book
This goes home every day with child

Then I have a binder for the learning journal
This has information at the start about the child - age , family details, likes and dislikes etc

Then I do obs like the one you mention and link it to the eyfs

Yes or if they are playing in the sand take a pic and link it to the eyfs the same way

I do not always take photos I sometimes do not have the camera on me or it would take forever printing them all out

So I have obs that i just write and link
Obs with pictures and I write and link
I also add craft work that they have done - I always take a pic of when they do this so it shows it was done by the child

Then I talk about next steps once again very brief ready for what I am going to do next based on that childs interests

This binder stays in my setting , put parents do look at it whenever they want
Although I will be sending it home now and again

Does that make sense to you ?

Angel xx