PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

pollyw
14-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I am expecting my expection soon an just have a few things im not sure on

at sleep time one of my mindees sleeps on the living room floor on a yoga mat with pillow blanket etc i have permission for this as with my other mindee who sleeps on the sofa, will ofsted be ok with this.

also my own daughter falls to sleep on me and i then take her upstairs once mindees are asleep is this ok to leave them once their asleep?

last question! my oldest mindee (4) now goes to the toilet on her own, she understands to wash hands etc is this ok, i am always able to hear here even though i cant see her.

nannymcflea
14-03-2009, 06:10 PM
does the one on the sofa have a bed guard,are the cushions soft, can she roll over and get stuck where she cannot breathe?

Sorry,not trying to be dramatic but a lady near me was picked up for allowing her mindee to sleep on sofa. If you can prove it's safe I cannot see whats wrong.

huggableshelly
14-03-2009, 06:15 PM
when i had my pre-reg 4 years ago i said sleepers could use the sofa if over 2 but under 2's will ahve a travel cot in the back lounge.

it was frowned upon, even though i stated the foot stool would be used as a barrier so children do not roll so I woul not advise that you do that.

I use sleep mats that fols like a yoga mat with a pillow and a blanket for each child over 2 travel cot for under 2 not that I've ver used it as its still in the loft brand new has never been used only bought it to please ofsted grrr lol.

anyway dont let a child sleep on the sofa, the mindee I look after sometimes falls asleep on the sofa as wont lye on the mat but i sit with him and lift him to the mat once he is sleeping.

balloon
14-03-2009, 06:18 PM
children in nurseries often sleep on mats with pillows and duvets so I personally cannot imagine there would be a problem with that - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm not sure about the sofa though, I suppose it would depend on your sofa and how safe it is. Is it what the child does at home? if so would it count as continuity of care between home and the minders? Have you risk assessed and shown it to be safe? Sure somebody with more experience will be along soon to better advise you.

xx

sarah707
15-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Sofas are not considered safe and your inspector might pick you up on it... the reason is that the children might roll between cushions and not be able to get out. There are some reports about it on the rospa website.

Mats on the floor are perfect I would say - don't forget the Eyfs says clean bedding every day.

My 'sofa' in my playroom is a single bed with proper sprung mattress and I use that, minus cushions, for older children :D

danast
15-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I have a leather sofa and I let sleep my 3 yrs old mindee on it since he was 2yrs old.
Never thought there would be a problem. I have a parent permission form and put cussions on the floor. I am generally in the same room.
I am now worried.

I have 3 mindees certain days and my 2 yrs old sleep in tracel cot and and my 33 months old sleep on sofa and my 3 yrs old sleep on the sofa if he needs it.
I am registered for whole house but do not use it (cause i want to de rigester for upstairs) so my mindees sleep in living room together.
Is this ok??????:(

When sometimes the others do not want to sleep and only the 2yrs old mindee sleeps than we have a quiet play,or watch a bit of tv.
None of the mums have problem but would ofsted have a problem with that???

TheBTeam
15-03-2009, 10:55 AM
ofsted didn't mind me putting a 2+ year old onto a leather sofa, although there are two of us minders and we always have at least one of us in the room. he sleeps in the living room, he is a tall powerful lad and i think it is safer to have him where i can see him, than out of sight in a room where i can hear but not see! He just lays down and falls asleep!

pollyw
15-03-2009, 11:20 AM
thanks for your replies
i have a leather sofa and it would be very difficult for her to roll over so that she could not breath. apart frm taking my little one up to her bed i am in the room with her all the time. may buy a yoga mat anyway and try her on that. what are your thoughts on her going to the toilet on her own.

rickysmiths
15-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Sofas are not considered safe and your inspector might pick you up on it... the reason is that the children might roll between cushions and not be able to get out. There are some reports about it on the rospa website.

Mats on the floor are perfect I would say - don't forget the Eyfs says clean bedding every day.

My 'sofa' in my playroom is a single bed with proper sprung mattress and I use that, minus cushions, for older children :D

Sorry Sarah I have a set of bedding for each child and they are washed once a week unless there is a need to change it in the week. EYFS can go jump on this one! I'm good but I'm not a 5****** hotel and even they only change the sheets every other day!

As far as the sofa goes when in the past I had one that would only sleep on the sofa, I covered the back and seat with a fleece blanket that was tucked in but covered the cusions and then I covered this with a cotton sheet so it was cool and comfortable to sleep and the chlid was not able to get stuck in the cusions They had a fleece blanket ontop and no pillow. I don't give any mindeed children a pillow. Again the fleece and sheet were kept for that child alone.

singlewiththree
15-03-2009, 01:47 PM
LOL I love that. I have one mindee who naps and he is here one day a week at the moment I fold the bedding up and use it the next week, he has used it for 50 mins!!!!

helenlc
15-03-2009, 06:00 PM
When I had my inspection last May. my 3 yr old mindee fell asleep as soon as I put the telly on. She was lying on the sofa and I was sitting right next to her. The inspector didnt say anything apart from She was obviously worn out! Nothing was written in my report either.

jibberjitz
16-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Just wanted to wish you well for your inspection :thumbsup:

pollyw
30-03-2009, 12:15 PM
had \a call today they are coming out to see me either wednesday or thursday, very scarred now!