PDA

View Full Version : EYFS - Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy

angeldelight
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM
The statutory early learning goals (detailed below) establish expectations for most children to reach by the end of the EYFS.

Educational programme

Children must be supported in developing their understanding of Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy in a broad range of contexts in which they can explore, enjoy, learn, practise and talk about their developing understanding. They must be provided with opportunities to practise and extend their skills in these areas and to gain confidence and competence in their use.

Early learning goals

By the end of the EYFS, children should:

Say and use number names in order in familiar contexts.

Count reliably up to ten everyday objects.

Recognise numerals 1 to 9.

Use developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems.
In practical activities and discussion, begin to use the vocabulary involved in adding and subtracting.

Use language such as 'more' or 'less' to compare two numbers.

Find one more or one less than a number from one to ten.

Begin to relate addition to combining two groups of objects and subtraction to 'taking away'.

Use language such as 'greater', 'smaller', 'heavier' or 'lighter' to compare quantities.

Talk about, recognise and recreate simple patterns.

Use language such as 'circle' or 'bigger' to describe the shape and size of solids and flat shapes.

Use everyday words to describe position.

Pipsqueak
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
WElcome Children everywhere....
We are all going to go round in Circles today, round and round we go.

The more I look at this booklet the less I seem to absorb:D :D :D

Thanks for that Angel!!!!

Pipsqueak
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Use everyday words to describe position.

:D :D :D :p

I AM taking this seriously - honestly:jump for joy:

angeldelight
04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Behave Vik haha

xx

sarah707
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
You know what really gets me.... these goal things are all well and good.... but they will make 5 year olds into failures! That really makes me cross!

How are we supposed to plan for fun and exciting play while keeping an eye on a child achieving like that?!?

Ah well, at least most of us can do the fun bits and leave schools to do the writing up! The EYFS says it's the setting that children attend most that has to prepare them... :D

angeldelight
04-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree Sarah and they are NOT my ideas

Just what we are all EXPECTED to be doing

I seem to be getting heaps of pm asking what we are supposed to be doing and what eah section means

So thought it would help If I did this

Hope I have not made it even more confusing for anyone

I am working on my own like the Birth to Three so hopefully later when I have finished that it will be easier to understand

I know a lot of this does sound over the top - but it just gets people understanding it a little

Angel xx

miffy
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks Angel - so this is the same as in the foundation stage but just has a new overall name?

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
04-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Looks like it Miffy

Thanks Angel

Carol xx

deeb66
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Thank you Angel

At least by listing these down it should hopefully give everyone an idea of what the goals are for the EYFS and help them to understand it a little more.

And yes all they have done is incorporated Birth to Three and Foundation Stage together....it hasn't really changed that much at all

miffy
04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
That's good then - not as complicated as I thought it might be

This will be so useful for the newbies Angel and those of us who haven't yet read the pack ha ha

Miffy xx