PDA

View Full Version : Planning & Obs

Bex1
12-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Hello

The children that are going to be joining me over the next few weeks are all around the same age 12 - 18 months. Therefore thinking about planning and, as I have an 18 month old, its quite hard to plan because my DD is not into toys, apart from books and her dolly! How do you plan for little ones' as I am worried I am going to get it all wrong!

Would you do one obs a month for little ones?

I am so confused :(

singlewiththree
12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I have a 18mth who has been with me once a week for the last 3 weeks and really we are still settling in. What I've been doing is just going off the "about me" book his mum filled in which said what toys he liked. I put in my planning book the toys that I got out and how they fitted in with eyfs. Then for the next week I extended it a bit more, for example I got out coloured rice and he loved it so my plan for the next week was to try gelibath etc. Really we are still settling in I feel as I only have him once a week for 4 hours. I have a 1yr old starting next week, again only 5hrs once a week so am going to do the same thing.

sarah707
12-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Great ideas from Paula there!

The trick as she says is to find out about the child first, then follow his interests and do things he will enjoy.

Don't waste your time on themes etc as they will not be appreciated by this agegroup. Wait until he is pushing 3 and needing planned activities etc.

Up til then it's about what he wants to do and enhancing what you already have there to suit :D

Ripeberry
12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Watch and learn from the children!

Bex1
12-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks, his mummy is bringing back the completed 'about me' form tomorrow so I will have a week to read through it. I went to visit him at his house and saw that he was only interested in balls, big balls, little balls, bouncy balls and flat balls!!!! His mum also said he was not interested in many as trying to walk, she said he has many toys but not in the least interested in them, likes to be in the pram out and about!!

So therefore with my planning do I just need to put "today we will have balls to roll around" then next week introduce other objects like musical instruments (his mum said he likes to dance and he does a little twisting movement when she sings nursery rhymes!!). Is the planning what I would do with him in that he would have free play then for a period of time we would have group play whereby I would sit with him and my daughter in a circle and roll balls etc?