PDA

View Full Version : Meeting with mindees teacher

Lady Haha
08-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I only recently realised that I was supposed to be doing EYFS on two of the children I care for who are in reception year at school. Now that I do know, I have approached the teacher and asked if we could meet up to discuss this. To my surprise she was more than happy and said there was a parents afternoon coming up and I could meet up with her then. Well, it's this week and I have put in my request, just waiting for my time slot.

Now, I'm feeling very small! What do I say to her? I'm not completely sure myself what I can be doing with a couple of five year olds. I was only planning on doing one ob a month on each of them as they are only with me for two hours after school. I want to come across as professional with the teacher, but I can't help feeling a bit out of my depth! What would any of you ask her or say to her?

Chatterbox Childcare
08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I would talk about what you are planning and what the receiption class planning topics are. I keep a copy of theirs in each of the children's folders.

Pipsqueak
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I must admit that I felt a bit out of my depth when I met with the teacher - even though I know her really well (been 2 of my sons teacher).
I shared what we have been doing at my setting, what I have noticed about the child, she talked about what they are doing at school, how I could support bits they are doing, from there the conversation just flowed.
It was really enlightening and beneficial for me and I think the teacher enjoyed having someone take an interest in what they are doing and supporting them.

Can I just say that get parents permission to do this first though and write your notes of up the conversation and share with mum/dad.

enjoy the experience of being treated and valued as a professional

Bananabrain
09-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I only recently realised that I was supposed to be doing EYFS on two of the children I care for who are in reception year at school. Now that I do know, I have approached the teacher and asked if we could meet up to discuss this. To my surprise she was more than happy and said there was a parents afternoon coming up and I could meet up with her then. Well, it's this week and I have put in my request, just waiting for my time slot.

Now, I'm feeling very small! What do I say to her? I'm not completely sure myself what I can be doing with a couple of five year olds. I was only planning on doing one ob a month on each of them as they are only with me for two hours after school. I want to come across as professional with the teacher, but I can't help feeling a bit out of my depth! What would any of you ask her or say to her?

Black and sparkly,I just wanted to say that I've read a number of your posts and you seem to me to be an articulate,intelligent,caring,lovely lady who puts an awful lot of effort into her work.

And yet you insist on putting yourself down.

Stop it,stop it, stop it ; right now.

Just because they are teachers, doesn't mean they are higher beings and you are certainly not 'small.'

Stop it now or there will be trouble.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

huggableshelly
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm lucky with my school so have never had to request a meeting whew.

my school holds half termly coffee mornings inviting all parents and carers in to talk about topics so I attend my own children's and also the mindees meetings too.

Louise is watching so no more doubting of yourself ... (imagines Loiuse getting in the car with a packet of wet noodles to lash anyone who is doubting themselves)

Lady Haha
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM
hahaha!!! Louise! Thanks for that huge confidence booster!!!

I have my time slot, going in on Wed morning. I didn't know I had to get parental permission although I did discuss it with one of the childs mums. Will see the other one tomorrow, so I will ask her then! Please tell me it doesn't have to be yet another consent form:(

The parents have noticed a change in me since I joined this forum! All of a sudden they are getting forms thrust at them and having to sign this that and everything else! For instance I didn't even I had to get the attendance register and record of payments signed. They will love that! I'm getting funny looks because they are signing my shiny new trampoline consent form even though their kids have been bouncing around on it for nearly a year already :laughing:

angeldelight
09-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Good luck for Wednesay I am sure you will be fine

Angel xx

Lady Haha
11-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, I had the meeting and it went really well. The teacher is really nice and I know her as she was my sons teacher two years back. She seemed to be just as up in the air with it as I am! She started talking about what the kidsare like in school, what they like and who they play with and I told her what they are like in my house. She showed me a page at the back of thier folders where she puts obs. She said they have a sheet of biggish stickers and write notes on them and then stick them in the folder as and when, so that was interesting, no big photo obs going on there. All the time I was there, I was thinking how this wasn't helping at all and I was just wasting her time, but after I left and started thinking about how she had told me what the children were like in school, I realised that it was really helpful to know actually! The little girl is very very girly, but has paired up with her new besty friend who is a tom boy and has started saying she is going to marry spiderman! After she had talked about the little girl, I interrupted saying it would be helpful to know what topics etc they have planned so that I can work alongside that and so I never got to hear about the little boy.

She did say at the end, I was welcome to pop in for a chat any morning after drop off, so I might do that and get a bit of info on the little boy too!

So, all in all, a very helpful meeting!

spowage
11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
i look after a reception child and arranged ameeting she was more than happy 2 u see me but you must get parents consent first. ofsted were very impressed i have contact with the school! karen:)

Rubybubbles
11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
brilliant this is how it should be:thumbsup:

My dd is in Rec now and one of my mindies, the teacher is great! Each week we get home a what we are doing sheet, this term they have been doing space, well I did space before christmas:laughing: :clapping: (i like to think i inspired that one but no lol!) I don;t see her much but mum is happy for me to talk to her about her child andv/v

miffy
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Pleased to hear it went well for you :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Lady Haha
11-03-2009, 08:15 PM
i look after a reception child and arranged ameeting she was more than happy 2 u see me but you must get parents consent first. ofsted were very impressed i have contact with the school! karen:)

Oh, yes, I did get the parents consent first!

Bananabrain
13-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Good for you Black and sparkly.

Hold you head up high girl:laughing: