PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about being registered as self-employed

Willowdancer
07-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I went on the HMRC website and registered as self-employed at the beginning of January. Should I have had anything in the post from them at all, because I haven't?

I know when we started our other businesses we got PAYE/NI payment books and loads of other stuff from HMRC in the post pretty soon afterwards so I'm surprised I've not had anything at all. But, those are limited companies and not self-employment so its probably all different.

Do they just send me the quarterly bill for paying NICs?

Thanks!

Chatterbox Childcare
07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
I just got a letter stating what NI I had to pay and they take it by DD

You will also get your tax return but if you don't chase it all up

FizzysFriends
07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
You should get a handbook about being self employed and a bill from NI from the date you started to the date you registered.

Willowdancer
07-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Hmmm...might be worth a phone call to them on Monday then - just realised I did my registration on the same day I ordered my NCMA membership that didn't go through!

I get a tax return anyway as I am a director of our other businesses so have to do a self assessment so I guess they won't send me a separate one for childminding.

Aargh - I hate dealing with HMRC. They're scary!! LOL

FizzysFriends
07-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Hmmm...might be worth a phone call to them on Monday then - just realised I did my registration on the same day I ordered my NCMA membership that didn't go through!

I get a tax return anyway as I am a director of our other businesses so have to do a self assessment so I guess they won't send me a separate one for childminding.

Aargh - I hate dealing with HMRC. They're scary!! LOL

Did you give them your referance number? I already did a SA and they asked me for the ref so they can link it together and I will only get one lot of info.

Might be worth a call just to let them know.

Willowdancer
07-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks FF - I will do that as the lack of anything from them is bothering me now!

Chanelle
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
I went to my local inland revenue office and they gave me a booklet and leaflets which i will contact once i get my registration.... I hope they are quick to reply as it must be a worry if they dont
Hope you get your sorted soon hun, i think you should ring them to check they recieved your details

geordiebunny
30-03-2009, 01:42 AM
HMRC not that scary I promise, esp in the walk in offices. You will normally not hear anything after registering until the april after your start date, that's when you will recieve your first tax return. If you already have a tax return and have registered you will normally get a self employment page and a seperate page needs completing for each self employment. If you do not get the page you can either print from net or ring number on front for extra pages. If you are really worried book an appointment at your local office much better to see face to face than over phone, believe me, and they can help with the return if needs be just don't go on 30th september and expect to be seen or 31st jan for help filling in online. Also try and have a go at return before you go in makes their job much easier. Also try to remember your tax/ class 4 national insurance and half your current bill needs paying by 31st january, this goes towards next years bill by the way with a further payment due in july. Guess your wondering how I know this take 9 1/2 years working for them
Am now starting a fresh and recently decided to try childminding have my introduction course on 1st april.

Willowdancer
30-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks geordiebunny - that was really useful :)

We have an accountant for our other business, and he does our self assessments as well so I'll just give all my minding paperwork to him.

I was a bit worried that I hadn't heard anything from HMRC though as the 3 month deadline for registering as SE after starting work was approaching, but if I shouldn't be expecting to hear from them until next month then I'm not worrying about it anymore :)

carebear25
30-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I filled in online form a while ago and didnt hear anything so gave them a call last week and was told, to ring back on the day I start trading and it will be sorted then.

Willowdancer
26-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Hurrah (sort of!) - had my bill for NICs at last and it wasn't that much of a shock :D

So, presumably, I pay that and put it in my accounts, and then I find out what I have to pay in tax at self assessment time?