PDA

View Full Version : QCA - handbook and assessment reference sheet

huggableshelly
06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I've been looking through EYFS website and wanted to print out the assessment scales reference sheet, it did print but the writing is so small its unreadable as its A3 size squeezed onto A4.

So I went looking further and arrived at this site ....
http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_18460.aspx

eUpdate for schools: Issue 1 - Distribution of early years foundation stage profile handbook and assessment scales reference sheet

I gave them a call asking them if I can gain a copy of the handbook (which is available to download as a pdf) and a full sized assessment scales reference sheet, these are no longer available as were distributed to all schools and early years settings!

So I had a very nice chat with the chap explaining that as a childminder I do not feel that I'm being given enough help, support and information like schools and nurseries are being given yet I am expected to provide the full EYFS at the same level as other establisments. He said he has had similar calls from other childminders and at this moment in time he is aware of the situation and is building up a case study. He has asked that I email with a complaint/query as to why such information is not getting to Childminders and to also contact my local authority to see if they have any spare copies which they most likey wont have anyway.

No ok I can go to the library and request an A3 print out of the assessment scales reference sheet and I can set my pc off to print 193 pages for the handbook but why shouls I when other EYFS settings are getting this given to them for free! I cant keep buying ink grrr ...

anyway now I've let off a bit of steam I'm off to email eyfsplink@qca.org.uk to let them know that I feel as a childminder I need the same information that has been handed out to schools and nurseries as i am to provie EYFS too.

now lol before anyone asks me why exaclty do I really want this when I have the framework in my hand too .... I want it because I cant have it! so I'm now on a misson to aim to get what I want. Yes i am naturally a spoilt brat in many ways so off I go to email.

sarah707
06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Go girl! :thumbsup:

nell57
06-03-2009, 04:37 PM
:laughing: Good luck hun:thumbsup:

Jules12Wed
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Go for it. It's not the book its the principle.

huggableshelly
06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
no idea if I've worded it right or not lol but I've written it out (well typed) several times and will post in writing if needed too. Email has been sent now so cant change anything.

Hello

I'm a registered childminder trying to get my hand on some tools as stated in the heading of this email to assist me with implementing EYFS within my setting.
I called the contact number found on the website http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_18460.aspx and was advised that there are none available at this time and that they are for state funded schools not Childminders.

I cant remember the person I talked to on the phone but he was very helpful and offered me two suggestions being to contact my local authority incase there is a copy hanging around and to email you too.

I am aware that I can download these items but I would prefer to have them as a proper set. when I tried to print off the assessment scales reference sheet on A4 as I have no access to an A3 printer the text was far too small so unable to make use of this resource.

The main reason for emailing is to make you aware that as a childminder I am expected to follow EYFS just like all other childcare establishments yet it is proving to be difficult to gain access to tools that will assist me. I have been trying to implement the EYFS into my setting without additional information that is freely handed out to schools and nurseries but I really do feel that all childminders would benefit form some assistance too.

I am booked onto an EYFS course, many other childminders are struggling to get places as course are few and far between. I would be grateful if you could look into this for the future so that all childminders are included in gaining information to help make it easier for us too.

Yours sincerely
(my full name is here but removed it for forum)
Registered Childminder in Hertfordshire

rickysmiths
06-03-2009, 06:39 PM
As far as I can see this document is not relivent to most Childminders because it is the information the school will use to complete the childs assessment and Profile at the end of the EYFS. It is my understanding that these will always be done by the school and is the one bit of the EYFS we don't need to worry about.:thumbsup:

This is why we would not have been sent this info.

Jules12Wed
06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
As far as I can see this document is not relivent to most Childminders because it is the information the school will use to complete the childs assessment and Profile at the end of the EYFS. It is my understanding that these will always be done by the school and is the one bit of the EYFS we don't need to worry about.:thumbsup:

This is why we would not have been sent this info.

I have just been on the site and looked at the A3 sheet and yes it was based for reception aged children.

huggableshelly
06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I have 3 reception age children

rickysmiths
06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I have 3 reception age children

I have 2 reception age children but I am not involved in this assessment or the Profile it is done Wholly by the school which is why we have not been sent these documents.