PDA

View Full Version : Who supplies what ?

Zoomie
04-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I am just trying to do a list of what items I would supply and what items I need a parent to supply.

Know it sounds obvious but from reading other threads it seems we need to remind some parents to provide coats for their children.

Anyhow, I would supply wipes, food, drinks, snacks, calpol, nurofen (?? - as these are not prescription based), all toys and items for activities

But parents would need to supply:
nappies,
nappy rash cream (does this need a permission ? - is it treated the same way as medicines ?)
spare clothes
all important coat
sun-cream
hat

What else do I need to tell parents to bring ?

rickysmiths
05-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Your list is good. I supply bum cream as it saves having 1/2 a dozen pots on the side. My parents sign on the permissions form that I can apply it.

Personally I would not have calpol etc in the house, the parent should provide it as required and sign your medication book if it is used.

The NCMA contract has a list that you can add to on the last page with coats hats etc and I usually highlight this to parents.

Carol
05-03-2009, 06:03 AM
I agree with rickysmith about calpol dont supply it.

Parents need also to bring kids :laughing: :laughing:

(Can you tell I have been up since 4am!!!)

Carol xx

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 07:02 AM
my parents provide calpol or their prefered choice, I label and store it keeping note on expirary and letting parents know if it ever needs replacing.

I do not administer it without written permission on the day its needed or making a phonecall first.

I would get a permission form for bottom cream, I've not had one in nappies for a long time but cover yourself.

parents can suplly suitable footwear too, I used to have a child who came in sandles in the rain!

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Parents need also to bring kids :laughing: :laughing:

(Can you tell I have been up since 4am!!!)

Carol xx

lmao too funny

RedDragon
05-03-2009, 07:24 AM
I have just had a new one start who is 24 months - mum didn't bring any food - she thought it was in the price of the daily rate.

She said it was not stated in the contract - I've had a look at it doesn't say food will be supplied or bring your own food.

When I updated my contract I didn't put it in the contract but put it in 1 of the folders that is full of info.

Hopefully mum will not argue over it today as I am not supplying food for free (she is saving over £120 a month by taking him out of the local nursery).

Good luck, you sound very organised :)

huggableshelly
05-03-2009, 07:36 AM
oopsee RedDragon i still make booboos too, I hope she is ok with it I cant see her wanting to let her little one go hungry, jsut keep something in just incase she doesnt get organised quickly.

venus89
05-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I ask parents to supply bedding for their child but I've never met another minder who does that.....

I wouldn't supply bottom cream myself because of the risks of cross contamination...... But I imagine they can be easily overcome

Zoomie
05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
So, the idea is that I do not include the calpol thing on my general permissions form ?

As I understand that, it would form part and parcel of a separate permission form that parents would sign on the day they give me the calpol to supply to their child on that particular day ??? (and similarly for a course of antibiotics ??)

I'm confused about this whole medicine thing :blush:

Zoomie
05-03-2009, 03:17 PM
and teething gel - does that fall under the remit of suncream / bum cream or the calpol side of things ???

Chanelle
05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I didnt even think of doing a parent provide list !! Aded to my to do list hehe !

Amaranth
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I was told at college, that we are not allowed to use our own calpol on the mindees and that under no circumstances were we allowed to give anything with ibuprofen in it to them unless it has been prescribed for that child by a doctor (something to do with it affecting breathing???)
I get parents to bring their own, which I label up with the childs name and store, should their child need it.

We were also told not to use our own bum cream because of the risk of cross contamination.

I wonder how we all managed to survive before all these rules & regs??!! :rolleyes: :laughing:

Chanelle
05-03-2009, 10:20 PM
That is very true ... I will only give medicine that is prescribed by a doctor ... well am planning on it lol ...

But I dont like the thought of Nurofen type medicines anyway ... i cant take them as i have asthma, brings it on so i avoid all asprin products .

Does that to me and i am an adult lol

Ripeberry
05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Just a question regarding permission forms. It depends on what child you will be carring for, so if i was not having a baby then parents of course would not sign the permission form for nappy cream.
But even for my own two daughters i hardly ever applied it unless they had a bit of nappy rash.
Do some parents expect nappy cream to be applied EVERY single time?

Chanelle
05-03-2009, 10:51 PM
I only apply cream if he has a sore bottom/rash .. but where i used to work at a nursery we had children that have it applied at every change .. but that is normally a barrier cream rather than an anti-septic like sudocrem ... That is down o the parent and maybe ask them when they come to go over the paperwork ?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
If you have a child that starts a fever whilst with you, you can text mum and ask her permission. When she replies this is enough to administer it and then complete the form in you medicine book.

I do have a separate letter from parents stating that I can administer ...... if required but would still get the permission from parents too.

cheeky monkeys
05-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Your list is good. I supply bum cream as it saves having 1/2 a dozen pots on the side. My parents sign on the permissions form that I can apply it.

Personally I would not have calpol etc in the house, the parent should provide it as required and sign your medication book if it is used.

The NCMA contract has a list that you can add to on the last page with coats hats etc and I usually highlight this to parents.

As a childminder I agree with Rickysmith s about calpol.... However as a parent I don't. My yougest DD starts to vomit with a slight temp unless I get the temp under control using BOTH calpol and nurefen she will not stop. Also was CM to child that halluinated until temp got under controll.

Can you tell how quickly either of these children will react with no calpol?? 30 mins 2 hours?? How long can it take a parent to get to you to give you permission to administer calpol?? Last week it took a parent 5 hours to get to me, when her child was sick.

Zoomie
06-03-2009, 12:39 AM
As a childminder I agree with Rickysmith s about calpol.... However as a parent I don't. My yougest DD starts to vomit with a slight temp unless I get the temp under control using BOTH calpol and nurefen she will not stop. Also was CM to child that halluinated until temp got under controll.

Can you tell how quickly either of these children will react with no calpol?? 30 mins 2 hours?? How long can it take a parent to get to you to give you permission to administer calpol?? Last week it took a parent 5 hours to get to me, when her child was sick.

I get exactly what you are saying.

Wonder what Ofsted's answer will be when something terrible happens cos a child had a febile cunvulsion, and we couldn't give paracetermol cos we didn't have parents permission yet ?

Chanelle
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I also agree, it is a trciky situation ... maybe Ofsted should review their policy on policies !